Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 969 970 [971] 972 973 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4202747 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Congress attempts to cross streams while working on tax reform
« Reply #14550 on: November 09, 2017, 05:34:41 pm »

Slightly silly title update since both houses of Congress released their own versions of tax 'reform' (let's be serious here, they're just tax cuts) and the two have significant differences, also, the House just released theirs.

Meanwhile, Alabama senate candidate Roy Moore has had allegations come out about having sexual encounters with teenage girls while in his early 30s. Seems like the probability of the Dem challenger winning that seat just got higher, but then again.....
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 05:36:47 pm by smjjames »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Congress attempts to cross streams while working on tax 'reform'
« Reply #14551 on: November 09, 2017, 05:45:50 pm »

For the record, Moore is the same guy who put a statue of the Ten Commandments outside a courthouse, opposes gay marriage, said 9/11 was punishment from God, and that Muslims should not be allowed to serve in Congress.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14552 on: November 09, 2017, 05:53:13 pm »

And brandished a gun during one of his campaign speeches, and declared the need to overthrow the American government and install Christian theocracy, in rhyme, during the Value Voters Summit.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14553 on: November 09, 2017, 06:01:03 pm »

For the record, Moore is the same guy who put a statue of the Ten Commandments outside a courthouse, opposes gay marriage, said 9/11 was punishment from God, and that Muslims should not be allowed to serve in Congress.

I know, but those Republicans that don't want to vote for him or the Democrat will likely just stay home, and the Democrats are energized right now, so, expect higher turnout from them, in fact, the likes of Roy Moore alone might make them turn out more. Other possibility is that Luther Strange does a write in and divides the Republican vote.

I know the odds are heavily against the Dem candidate due to it being one of the deepest red states, but this seems like the best chance for them to grab that. It'd be crazy if they did because of the odds, but anything seems possible right now.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #14554 on: November 09, 2017, 06:42:07 pm »

Donna Brazile, the DNC party chair from July 2016 to February 2017 released a rather interesting article.

Sorry to drag us back a few days (been behind on the thread for a long time and just got caught up), but oh how I would love for Mainiac to be around to give his spin on this.  I posted an article laying out this exact arrangement with the Hillary Victory Fund during the primary... I think it was around late spring/early summer at the time.  Mainiac basically spit some acid on the thing, and everyone else quickly moved on, if I remember right.

Goddamn do things have to change.  Sometimes I drift towards questioning my cynicism towards establishment politics.  I wondered whether my attitude was too cynical towards Hillary, as knowledgeable people who I respect insisted I was.  But then the stuff that everyone shrugged off for being too conspiracy-sounding gets confirmed as true... after it's too late to matter as anything but a lesson for next time.

Edit:

Ah, yes, there it is.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 06:46:07 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14555 on: November 09, 2017, 06:51:55 pm »

http://www.news.com.au/world/asia/japans-prime-minister-shinzo-abe-tumbles-into-golf-bunker/news-story/160ced87729a96e9c4098e48c14e863b

the moment Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe tumbles over in a sandbunker during a round of golf with Donald Trump — who completely fails to notice.
The hilarious footage was met with much mockery in Japan with many pointing to Mr Trump’s response as being reflective of the pair’s power dynamic.

“Abe was ignored when he fell over backwards. He served Trump a lot of delicious food but in return all he got was being forced to promise to buy more weapons,” mocked @iampeppar on Twitter.

That's the Trump golden touch of international diplomacy right there, like when he plugged his golf course in Florida to South Korean parliament the other day in the middle of a speech about the North Korean threat. And the main thing is that Trump wasn't actually nearby when this fall happened. People worldwide have a distaste for Trump so palpable that they instinctively go "Fuck Trump" any time anything remotely Trump-related happens.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 06:56:33 pm by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14556 on: November 09, 2017, 07:02:42 pm »

It doesn't even say where Trump was at that moment and if he wasn't even near enough to see it happen in the first place anyway, then why is the article mocking Trump for something he couldnt even see or have line of sight of in the first place?

Not neccesarily defending Trump here, the article says Trump was nowhere to be seen, but was he in a place he might have seen or heard Abe falling over? The article doesn't show or say otherwise.

Seems to mock Shinzo Abe more than it does Trump.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14557 on: November 09, 2017, 07:11:27 pm »

The point was that the Japanese are mocking Trump, not just this one article. It's already an international diplomatic incident. That's what makes this newsworthy, not the footage. "What actually happened" and whether it's Trumps fault is incidental here. The newsworthy part of an international diplomacy story is the perception of the event. e.g. Shinzo Abe falling over isn't the point, it's that it caused a diplomatic incident where Japanese people are mocking the US President. And the whole thing is telling ... about how Japanese people perceive Trump.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 07:27:14 pm by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14558 on: November 09, 2017, 07:23:32 pm »

The point was that the Japanese are mocking Trump, not just this one article. It's already an international diplomatic incident. That's what makes this newsworthy, not the footage. "What actually happened" and whether it's Trumps fault is incidental here. The newsworthy part of an international diplomacy story is the perception of the event. e.g. Shinzo Abe falling over isn't the point, it's that it caused a diplomatic incident where Japanese people are mocking the US President. And the whole thing is telling ... about how Japanese people perceive Trump.

Not surprising given how much of the world already views Trump. I haven't seen anything on US news outlets mentioning it, so, it doesn't seem to be that big of a deal, at least here in the US.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14559 on: November 09, 2017, 07:28:31 pm »

Most likely because it's a new article, original publication date was about ~12 hours ago in the UK, then it hit us in Australia with the morning news, about 6 hours ago. It's hard to make that call less than 24 hours after a story broke that it won't be picked up by the media outlets in the USA - it was probably too late to add this story in for 9th November in the US papers.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 07:36:47 pm by Reelya »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14560 on: November 09, 2017, 07:36:28 pm »

Nobody in America was going to bed six hours ago, unless they go to bed at 1 in the afternoon (and that's here on the east coast where it would have been latest).

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14561 on: November 09, 2017, 07:38:23 pm »

Sorry my mistake, however it's clearly too late in the day for a minor news story to be picked up, unless it's really big stuff they're not breaking a sweat to put it out there. They do plan the news articles per day, they don't "hold the presses" unless it's really big shit.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 07:40:19 pm by Reelya »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14562 on: November 09, 2017, 07:43:35 pm »

Why would they need to hold the presses for internet and TV news?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14563 on: November 09, 2017, 08:27:47 pm »

I think the main question is, if a Prime Minister falls and there's no President around to hear him, does he make a sound?

EDIT:

Donna Brazile, the DNC party chair from July 2016 to February 2017 released a rather interesting article.

Sorry to drag us back a few days (been behind on the thread for a long time and just got caught up), but oh how I would love for Mainiac to be around to give his spin on this.  I posted an article laying out this exact arrangement with the Hillary Victory Fund during the primary... I think it was around late spring/early summer at the time.  Mainiac basically spit some acid on the thing, and everyone else quickly moved on, if I remember right.

Goddamn do things have to change.  Sometimes I drift towards questioning my cynicism towards establishment politics.  I wondered whether my attitude was too cynical towards Hillary, as knowledgeable people who I respect insisted I was.  But then the stuff that everyone shrugged off for being too conspiracy-sounding gets confirmed as true... after it's too late to matter as anything but a lesson for next time.

Edit:

Ah, yes, there it is.

I think it would be responded to with the same misdirection and propaganda tactics being used by the media right now. "Oh Bernie did the same thing." "Oh, it's perfectly normal." "Oh, it's not as bad as it sounds." "Oh, she's obviously an idiot and doesn't know what she's talking about."

It's easy to pile onto Fox News when they do it in Trump's favor... but WaPo and the like are just as guilty of doing it for the Dems.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 08:31:40 pm by sluissa »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #14564 on: November 09, 2017, 08:30:55 pm »

I'm sure the spooks that were recording them would say he does, assuming they wouldn't have to disappear you afterwards.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 969 970 [971] 972 973 ... 3566