Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 962 963 [964] 965 966 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4202882 times)

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Mueller investigation charges Manafort and bis. assoc. Gates withfraud
« Reply #14445 on: November 06, 2017, 06:53:34 am »

"...After the attack, the shooter reportedly exchanged gunfire with a nearby resident before getting in his vehicle and driving away. Martin said he could not confirm if the neighbor hit the suspect, but said it was safe to say that his actions, which caused the shooter to drop his weapon, saved lives.

KSAT spoke with Johnnie Langendorff, who said the man who exchanged fire with the suspect "came to my vehicle in distress with his weapon" and quickly explained what had happened. "The other gentleman came and said 'we need to pursue him. He just shot up the church.'"

...Langendorff said he and the other man pursued the shooter at high speed before he appeared to lose control and go off the road. "The other gentleman jumped out and had his rifle on him and he didn't move after that," Lagendorff told the televison station.

Fewer than a thousand people live in Sutherland Springs. Kelsey Bradshaw, a reporter for the San Antonio News Express, told NPR: "The number of people who are injured and killed make up about ten percent of the entire population."

David Martin Davies of Texas Public Radio told NPR's Noel King, "This is a blue jeans and working boots kind of church. It's a big part of the community."
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Mueller investigation charges Manafort and bis. assoc. Gates withfraud
« Reply #14446 on: November 06, 2017, 11:48:13 am »

Going from FBI statements, it would appear that the whole thing was a domestic matter.

That's my impression too, this was an extreme form of domestic violence.  The guy also had no gun license and thus shouldn't have been able to purchase the guns in the first place anyway. So, there's also multiple points of failure as far as the gun laws doing their thing or the seller not doing something they were supposed to do.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14447 on: November 06, 2017, 12:02:54 pm »

Pfft hahahaha. Yeah, good luck. Where I'm from, you can find someone selling guns illegally anywhere, with great ease. Regardless of this being an effective total gun-ban state, in the shadow of the state with the most hardcore gun laws in America.

Hit the poorer parts of any crime-ridden city and you can find anything and everything. Granted, you might get shot by crooks or ambushed by feds in the process, but the fact remains.

Failing that, its not overly difficult to fabricate home-made AK-47's with a moderate investment in some easily-purchased machinery.

Not to mention how often illegally sold guns are the product of thefts, for example, all the gun stores that get robbed every year.

Then, there's always all the guns brought over via commercial shipping, crossing the canadian and mexican border, and even by air using private planes.

Wasn't there some successful gun and drug-running op busted a few years back where vets returning from the middle east were getting waved through checkpoints while carrying all sorts of shit? By the time they caught 'em, they'd been through a few dozen times at least, each time carrying numerous firearms/etc.

Wasn't the only one, either.
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #14448 on: November 06, 2017, 12:20:13 pm »

Indeed, good luck, one says to the only major country in the world this shit happens often enough to be considered common. Great difficulties, so great that apparently more or less everyone else on the planet not effectively or explicitly a failed state seem to manage pretty well at.

Ah well. Still two months left for 2017 to break another mass shooting record. Maybe we can hit a triple.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14449 on: November 06, 2017, 12:23:13 pm »

Its been happening a lot in Brazil too, where my mother is from. Though I doubt the international community is aware of this.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14450 on: November 06, 2017, 12:46:10 pm »

Its been happening a lot in Brazil too, where my mother is from. Though I doubt the international community is aware of this.
Isn't the Brazilian government is a near collapsed state and not really able to control its own major cities and full of corruption?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14451 on: November 06, 2017, 12:49:47 pm »

Isn't the Brazilian government is a near collapsed state and not really able to control its own major cities and full of corruption?
Only the last one. Also, dunno where Ehndras is taking the mass shootings in schools/churches/public spaces from, assuming I understood it right. Yeah, there's violence, but domestic terrorism lone gunmen are very rare.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14452 on: November 06, 2017, 01:02:17 pm »

Oh Christ the NRA are going to fap themselves dead over the dude being allegedly stopped by armed civilians.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14453 on: November 06, 2017, 01:08:25 pm »

Oh Christ the NRA are going to fap themselves dead over the dude being allegedly stopped by armed civilians.

I'm sure they already are, as are many conservative outlets while missing the point that the gunman wasn't stopped from killing anybody at all.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14454 on: November 06, 2017, 02:21:09 pm »

It takes some seriously fucked up logic to claim 26 people dead is a victory for gun proliferation.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14455 on: November 06, 2017, 02:25:51 pm »

It takes some seriously fucked up logic to claim 26 people dead is a victory for gun proliferation.

Welcome to America and the gun debate, where logic is thrown out the window.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14456 on: November 06, 2017, 02:30:50 pm »

I'm sure they already are, as are many conservative outlets while missing the point that the gunman wasn't stopped from killing anybody at all.
Yes, but he theoretically could have been headed to a second church! (I've seen this argument used without irony.)

In other -gate related news, we now have Koi-gate.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14457 on: November 06, 2017, 02:41:31 pm »

I’m not a gun owner, so maybe I’m way off-base, but wouldn’t smart guns and shooter’s licenses go a long way toward curbing this kind of mass shooting? I had to prove to the government that I knew how to drive a car safely and legally before I was allowed behind the wheel; I’d feel much better about the number of guns in this country if I knew that people using them had been given a certain level of education as a prerequisite. Now, in this case, it looks like the guy got his gun illegally anyway, but guns that can only be fired by their rightful owners strike me as a pretty obvious solution to that problem.

Blaming mental illness doesn’t get us anywhere. If we knew how to evaluate a person’s likelihood of eventually committing mass murder before the event, we wouldn’t be having this conversation. And it’s true that a person who wants to kill others has many options besides guns, but then why do so many of them use guns anyway?
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14458 on: November 06, 2017, 02:46:40 pm »

If we knew how to evaluate a person’s likelihood of eventually committing mass murder before the event, we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

No, we do have many methods of finding at least the most blatant red flags; it's just that conservatives repeatedly blocked them from being implemented.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14459 on: November 06, 2017, 02:48:51 pm »

How exactly would you make a gun incapable of being fired by anyone but the rightful owner without it being trivial to work around? I can only imagine the answer involves nanomachines, son.
Pages: 1 ... 962 963 [964] 965 966 ... 3566