Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 941 942 [943] 944 945 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4196558 times)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile

Isnt the balloon thing a way of temporarily restoring their own downed communication networks ASAP in PR, rather than a serious long-term solution?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

If there is one thing I know, it is that the release of balloons heralds the atomic end of the world.
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

Light tubes are a thing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_tube

Do I mean this for building lighting? Maybe, but that is not what I had in mind.  Rather, a thick and solid array of light tubes sticking out of the ground with the panels either embedded inside the base, or underground beneath the tube solves several problems with solar in the face of seasonal severe weather. (Yes, it will be less efficient due to conductive losses, but you don't have to aim the cells, and the heavy glass is more resistant to high winds.)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 05:53:13 am by wierd »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You bolt them to something solid and cover them with a decent covering of plexiglass and you've got something about as tough as anything else that will survive a hurricane.

Putting things underground near a coast(or an island) is problematic due to water tables and the threat of water intrusion in a flooding scenario. All your solar is going to be a pile of junk if salt water flows over and seeps in.

This is also assuming there's no loss through the tube and you're able to capture as much as you would from a surface panel.

Solar is cheap now, however. I imagine it's cheap enough that adding all the infrastructure around a panel that would allow it to be put underground and protected wouldn't offset the cost of having to potentially replace them a few times. That's always the tradeoff in hurricane prone areas. You can build yourself a bunker if you want, and it'll survive anything that doesn't completely wipe the geographical area off the map, but it'll cost you. Or you can just build reasonably, get insurance, have a plan to protect a limited set of things (by evacuating, usually, although some people do have smaller storm shelters or reinforced rooms.) and finally cross your fingers.

I'm not saying the "cross your fingers" method is the best. We really SHOULD be building better. But economics forces us to compromise.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

I'm starting to get a bit worried. Where did the Trump headlines go? I haven't seen or heard Trump say or do something outrageous, or not even anything just plain terrible in more than 48 hours. Is he still alive?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

I'm starting to get a bit worried. Where did the Trump headlines go? I haven't seen or heard Trump say or do something outrageous, or not even anything just plain terrible in more than 48 hours. Is he still alive?
Yeah he's just taken a break from governing to get his fashion house on

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

Leaf gold everywhere?
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Leaf gold everywhere?
No, golden showers
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

At least two women are coming out now saying Bush Snr groped them.

So Trump, Bush I and Clinton have a lot in common.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 12:38:47 pm by Reelya »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Yeah, but the thing that gets me about the Bush Sr allegations is that they're not decades-old. They're accusing him of grabbing their asses from his wheelchair.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I mean, other than being a former president, is it really that unusual? We've had the dirty old man meme for decades now. Not defending it, at any rate. I'm just not surprised.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Grolnick told Deadspin that “he reached his right hand around to my behind, and as we smiled for the photo he asked the group, ‘Do you want to know who my favorite magician is?’ As I felt his hand dig into my flesh, he said, ‘David Cop-a-Feel!’”

So, not only a dirty old man, but telling dirty old dad jokes.

EDIT: I can picture Trump correcting him, "No, no, no...you gotta come at 'em from the front! They let you do it because you're President, you know."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Is anybody willing to contest the statement that Bush Sr. is the most forgettable President of the 20th and 21st centuries?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Is anybody willing to contest the statement that Bush Sr. is the most forgettable President of the 20th and 21st centuries?

Gerald Ford? Maybe Herbert Hoover?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

That one who was stricken from all history books?
the truth is no longer out there
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 941 942 [943] 944 945 ... 3566