Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 934 935 [936] 937 938 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4195653 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

A weapon to surpass metal gear

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Unsurprising, with Trump as president.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Another meh. I worry less about the bombers and more about the missiles.

Bombers take significant time to reach their targets, can be called back, and have an extra set of humans in the command chain to error check.

Missiles are quick and have no callback or cancel ability and once launched the missiles won't do any thinking beyond what's required to reach their target.

Bombers are also significantly more useful as a threat against rogue states *cough*NK*cough*. It's easy to ignore someone promising they have missiles in silos or on unseen submarines. A whole mess of bombers flying at you, that's another story. That's something that can be seen. Something that can actually be used as a threat before it gets to the point of "pushing the button that can't be unpushed.*

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Trump doesn't strike me as a guy who "unpushes" anything. Even if he fucked up and hit the launch button because he was trying to scratch his ass, he'd make up a reason why it was totally called for, bigly. And anyone who disagrees is a loser and hates America.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So this is a thing, now. I... really don't have much else to say.
Unsurprising, with Trump as president.

Not surprising with the NK stuff ramping up recently.

Another meh. I worry less about the bombers and more about the missiles.

Bombers take significant time to reach their targets, can be called back, and have an extra set of humans in the command chain to error check.

Missiles are quick and have no callback or cancel ability and once launched the missiles won't do any thinking beyond what's required to reach their target.

Bombers are also significantly more useful as a threat against rogue states *cough*NK*cough*. It's easy to ignore someone promising they have missiles in silos or on unseen submarines. A whole mess of bombers flying at you, that's another story. That's something that can be seen. Something that can actually be used as a threat before it gets to the point of "pushing the button that can't be unpushed.*

But can NK see them in time to make a decision? I suppose we're starting to see the 'military options' being deployed.

A thought occurs to me, if the bombers head towards NK, they're going to rattle Russia and China because there's no way of getting to NK without having a general trajectory towards either one.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile

Frankly, the bombers should never be off alert.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Frankly, the bombers should never be off alert.
Disagree. Unnecessary cost and increased risk.

Also, it should be noted that they're NOT back on alert. They're merely preparing in case they are ordered to put them back on alert. Considerable difference.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile

A thought occurs to me, if the bombers head towards NK, they're going to rattle Russia and China because there's no way of getting to NK without having a general trajectory towards either one.

That problem is why the US would use bombers instead of ICBMs or SLBMs to threaten or (if the situation deteriorated enough) strike NK. Bombers have unlimited flight paths, and you can pick one that looks non threatening enough not to panic Russia or China. There is no practical trajectory for a ballistic missile that does not pass over Chinese or Russian (generally Chinese AND Russian) territory, so those nations would be very likely to view any such launch as a potential threat - especially if the rumors that Russian BM detection is much more spotty than it should be.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just launch westward, wouldn't cross the territory of either, but yeah, the proximity would still make a missile look like it's incoming no matter what.

Using the planes would also give time to reassure Russia and China if they get nervous.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile

Or we could like, call them. Be like hey there are about to be missiles in the air. They are not for you, it's good.

Trump doesn't strike me as a guy who "unpushes" anything. Even if he fucked up and hit the launch button because he was trying to scratch his ass, he'd make up a reason why it was totally called for, bigly. And anyone who disagrees is a loser and hates America.

If he did he would say that he doesn't even know why everyone is so worked up about it, it was just a button, no one got hurt, the media is playing this up to hurt me so sad.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile

The problem is that, AFAIK, most early warning devices other countries would have for nukes would only detect them less than an hour before impact.  From a quick google search, more like 20 minutes.  It also takes time to launch nukes, depending on where they're coming from.  So if anyone launches an ICBM, every other country has maybe 10 minutes to decide what they're going to do.  And then if anyone else decides "OK, I'll launch MY nukes," then everyone else has to make that decision, again.  Including us.

So the only way advance warning will work, is if you get the OK from the other countries to go ahead with the launch.  Otherwise you still have to deal with the paranoia, and the fact that someone else's nuclear doctrine might involve nuking you regardless.  But you're not going to get the OK from them, they're going to say "don't do it."  With an optional "or we'll launch our nukes."

All of which kind of ignores the fact that any ICBM heading towards NK is going to look a hell of a lot like an ICBM heading towards China, which is allied with them anyway... at least a nuclear bomber might look like a spy plane or something.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile

I don't think that anyone would launch nukes in retaliation to a strike against a third party. I think that would be the absolute last thing that anyone would do.

For reals why can't we call China and Russia and be like hey, we are launching missiles at NK, they are not for you, here is the planned trajectory. We would have to be the unprovoked aggressor in any scenario in which anyone provided direct assistance to NK. If they launched first everyone would know it.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile

Not to mention that "Don't worry, we're not shooting at you" is exactly what somebody who is shooting at you would say.

Meanwhile, a bomber likely wouldn't be detected until it was close enough to Korea to clearly show where it was going, and a small bomber strike that wouldn't get through Chinese or Russian air defenses is a hell of a lot less threatening.

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can also call the bombers and tell them to abort at any point, so you can use them as a bargaining chip until the last minute.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can also call the bombers and tell them to abort at any point, so you can use them as a bargaining chip until the last minute.

How many times has that tactic actually been used? Doesn't seem wise to use that tactic against our larger adversaries with actual nukes.

I can definetly see Trump using that tactic on NK though.
Pages: 1 ... 934 935 [936] 937 938 ... 3566