Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 929 930 [931] 932 933 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4192193 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes we do. Current tokamak designs are just barely overunity on production.

The stellerator was the child of theory, and test designs of reactors of this type have produced huge efficiency gains over traditional tokamak reactors.

I think he meant stuff in the realm of science fiction, stuff WAY more powerful than fusion.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Not to be a curmudgeon, but maybe this belongs in a "Can we save the world, or is it too late?" thread. This thread is more about "Can we save the United States, or is it too late?"  :-\

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Not to be a curmudgeon, but maybe this belongs in a "Can we save the world, or is it too late?" thread. This thread is more about "Can we save the United States, or is it too late?"  :-\

But can we save the world from the United States, or is it too late?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

To make fusion a reality, a LOT more theory has to be created and tested.  That reality, coupled with the obscene lack of funding for actual fusion research (one of the diagnostic features that drives my pessimism is that while the problems are acknowledged, nobody in power EVER wants to address them, which has been a historical mainstay of human societies before resource scarcity induced collapses.), pretty much says straight up that we need to not think of fusion as a solved problem.

RedKing-- Given that the US consumes some absurd amount of the world's energy budget, it still fits.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Once again, we have beyond forseeable future energy just being shot at us in abundance from the sun.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Once again-- NO.

That kind of thinking presumes that it is safe or reasonable to cover significant portions of the earth in solar panels. (it isnt.)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Like the Post Trans-Uranic reactor stuff in the Schlock Mercenary comic? Also, you said 'in theory', we don't need to 'in theory' fusion.

It's slightly more complicated than that. For both fusion and conversion, we know that the underlying phenomenon is energetic enough to be sustain the reaction as long as we have fuel present; it remains unknown how to build a machine efficient enough to sustain that reaction with a usable energy surplus.

We can just make inefficient fusion happen more observably than inefficient SBH of the appropriate size.

Do bear in mind that when I say "in theory", I'm usually using "theory" in the actual scientific sense, not the lay sense. Read "theoretically possible" as "we can prove that the solution space contains at least one usable thing contingent on certain assumptions of known probability, but we don't know where in the space to look for it."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Indeed, hence my "Yes we do!" argument about stellerators, and the abysmal state of fusion research funding.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

To make fusion a reality, a LOT more theory has to be created and tested.  That reality, coupled with the obscene lack of funding for actual fusion research (one of the diagnostic features that drives my pessimism is that while the problems are acknowledged, nobody in power EVER wants to address them, which has been a historical mainstay of human societies before resource scarcity induced collapses.), pretty much says straight up that we need to not think of fusion as a solved problem.

RedKing-- Given that the US consumes some absurd amount of the world's energy budget, it still fits.

Not to mention that it'll take time to build a fusion plant once we find a workable solution, so, it doesn't work as a right-now-in-this-decade sense.

Indeed, hence my "Yes we do!" argument about stellerators, and the abysmal state of fusion research funding.

Because it's tough to convince politicians to invest in something that costs a LOT of money and isn't clear it'd even work. Makes you wonder how we got into space in the first place, right? heh.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because it's tough to convince politicians to invest in something that costs a LOT of money and isn't clear it'd even work. Makes you wonder how we got into space in the first place, right? heh.

Well, the best way is to tell them the Russians' one is bigger and more powerful, so we need to build an even bigger one than that.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sadly, that is pretty much true. (and you wonder why I am so pessimistic about this?)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

That's as may be, but my concern is that this will drown out any and all other political happenings. We very well may all be fucked, but in the meantime there are budgets to pass (or just got passed), tax breaks to the wealthy to give away, stupid shit for the Leader of the Free World to tweet, etc.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!

Whether fusion energy is a transitional fuel source fits in this thread about as well as EU news does, since the EU represents a fifth of all US trade. Take it to another thread.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You have some news, then news us.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 929 930 [931] 932 933 ... 3566