Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 921 922 [923] 924 925 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4185582 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, Trump tweeted:
"46% of Americans think the Media is inventing stories about Trump & his Administration." @FoxNews   It is actually much worse than this!

But I initially read that as:
"46% of Americans think the Media is inventing stories about Trump & his Administration." @FoxNews is actually much worse than this!

Which was fun.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Hey, he's not wrong. It is worse. They're not inventing as many stories as they usually do about ruddy anything.

Or at least that reading isn't. There's at least three other things that worse could be aiming at. Belief numbers lower or higher, invented stories higher.

... probably some other ones, too, but the wake up haze has dissipated enough to remind me it's one in the goddamn morning, sleep lasted less than an hour, and I really don't have to deal with some shitfuck on twitter that's less capable of clear writing than a drunken philosophy freshman.

Also I say that with authority. I tend to avoid folks drinking but I've still been around drunken philosophy freshmen before. Seen some folks that couldn't walk straight and wouldn't know concise if it hit them with a brick put together a less ambiguous statement than that. Senile ratfink bastard.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I wonder if Left Wing Watch would have just as much crazy... I mean, we hear about their crazies all the time, but where are OUR crazies?
It's pretty much the same situation on each side. Just as the left looks at right wing crazies as being a big deal, the left wing crazies are the ones that the right thinks are representative. So you've got evangelical atheists and actual outright communists, you've got safe space SJWs protesting to prevent people they don't like from speaking, you've got a college professor breaking a kid's skull with a bike lock and antifa rioters stabbing anyone that looks like a trump supporter to them. And, yeah, what Flying Dice said. The demonizations of feminism, for example, may be generally wrong but there are people who are happy to fit whatever negative stereotype the right can come up with for them, just as there are people shouting "die cis scum" and all that jazz.

How the fuck are there so many people who take Alex Jones seriously? I stumbled upon his Youtube channel the other day and I had to check to make sure it wasn't satirical.
A lot of what he says seems credible to me. Not as in "I think that could be true" credible but as in "I could see people legitimately believing that". His conspiracy/spirituality stuff in particular seems like a poorly articulated but workable start to a modern cult.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile

There also seems to be an uptick in young people being exposed to satirical or strawmanned versions of the arguments on both sides and taking them seriously due to lack of exposure to those views, which has the negative consequence of pushing the lunatic fringe on both sides further and further into insanity.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile

I...I do not know what to say for once, other than I think it is a shame that concentrated insanity is not a renewable energy resource.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

I wonder if Left Wing Watch would have just as much crazy... I mean, we hear about their crazies all the time, but where are OUR crazies?
It's pretty much the same situation on each side.
Nah. Equivocation bullshit is in fact bullshit. The primary reason you don't see as much on left wing crazies is just due to relative proportion and effect. Left wing has 'em, right wing's ran by 'em, as it goes. Largest general source of domestic terrorism is conservative extremists, a great deal of radical right wing proposition are pushed or supported whole cloth, there's not any particular countrywide left wing push for the disenfranchisement of millions of americans, you don't have left wing infiltration of law enforcement as a notable country wide domestic security issue, the list just goes on for a while.

Not particularly difficult to pick up why there doesn't seem to be just as much left wing crazy as right in the US, basically. It's because there just kinda' actually ain't, and what's there isn't causing as much trouble.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

Not particularly difficult to pick up why there doesn't seem to be just as much left wing crazy as right in the US, basically. It's because there just kinda' actually ain't, and what's there isn't causing as much trouble.

But... But... Bike lock!  And a couple professors have lost their jobs!  And smashed windows!
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

b O t H s I d E s
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

b O t H s I d E s
i am a centrist. having strong opinions r dumb. middle way not extremism OK

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Look to your right, look to your left. If you don't see anyone to one side of you, maybe YOU are the crazy extremist.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*Looks around room, devoid of other people...*

I'M A CRAZY CENTRIST!

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile

Centrists were always crazy.  They believed that people could actually cooperate.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.
Pages: 1 ... 921 922 [923] 924 925 ... 3566