Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 915 916 [917] 918 919 ... 3565

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4171446 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Did you get any good use out of it?
Nope. At least Square Mile was interesting, in a proto-SimCity sort of fashion.

Trump: The Game was like Monopoly if you took all the whimsy out of it and just distilled it down to its most abusive, "I'll grant you 5 turns rent immunity for a blowjob" sort of exploitive capitalism.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Trump: The Game was like Monopoly if you took all the whimsy out of it and just distilled it down to its most abusive, "I'll grant you 5 turns rent immunity for a blowjob" sort of exploitive capitalism.

So the original Monopoly, then?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

Ooooh, I kinda want to play Asset-Strip Monopoly now.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile

My great grandfather did a lot of still-classified things in WW2 and was accidentally run over twice by a newly-immigrated German couple after the war. A coincidence indeed.

Before we jump to the obvious, wasn't there a lot of unscrupulous businesspeople in that documents? Besides Trump I mean.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Reporter who exposed the Panama papers tax frauds killed after a spontaneous case of car bomb. Another good woman suicided
Malta isn't in the US.....
That's like doubting Hastings or Snowden aren't US news when they're abroad. Reporters getting suicided for reporting American elites is always US news whether they die on US soil or Jupiter's moons

My great grandfather did a lot of still-classified things in WW2 and was accidentally run over twice by a newly-immigrated German couple after the war. A coincidence indeed.

Before we jump to the obvious, wasn't there a lot of unscrupulous businesspeople in that documents? Besides Trump I mean.
I don't think there's many coincidences quite like your car exploding. Seems to be a lot of reporters coincidentally exploding whenever they do their job properly

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Reporter who exposed the Panama papers tax frauds killed after a spontaneous case of car bomb. Another good woman suicided
That's like doubting Hastings or Snowden aren't US news when they're abroad. Reporters getting suicided for reporting American elites is always US news whether they die on US soil or Jupiter's moons

I don't think there's many coincidences quite like your car exploding. Seems to be a lot of reporters coincidentally exploding whenever they do their job properly

You mean the worlds elites, there were surprisingl few Americans in the Panama papers.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

You mean the worlds elites, there were surprisingl few Americans in the Panama papers.
The world is America

But in all seriousness, the money is murrican
The US president said the leak from Panama illustrated the scale of tax avoidance involving Fortune 500 companies and running into trillions of dollars worldwide.
Obama started this investigation shit before leaving so unironically thanks Obama

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile

I meant a "coincidence" as in "absolutely not a coincidence at all", sorry for the deadpan there. Yes, I think she was killed by someone who was mad about their dirty money being exposed.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And in other news, Trump has decided to just claim Obamacare is gone (while simultaneously blaming the GOP for failing to get rid of it).

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/16/trump-says-there-is-no-such-thing-as-obamacare-anymore.html

http://www.npr.org/2017/10/16/558091752/trump-on-gop-failures-i-m-not-going-to-blame-myself-i-ll-be-honest

I think he's getting worse.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, just want to stop in here to say one thing.

Y'all think Trump is an idiot. He's not.

Trump is a smart guy, otherwise he wouldn't have as much money as he has today.

Trump doesn't think Mexicans are rapists and murderers. Trump knows Iran is complying with the nuclear deal. Hell, he probably knows climate change is real too.

However, a very significant portion of America doesn't. He's essentially playing a massive con game with this faction (and the rest of America). He used them to get elected, and so far they like what he's doing because he's doing the things that they've wanted presidents to do but which presidents never have done because they would be colossally stupid policy. Previous presidents and presidential candidates tried not to lie or harass women or such stupid shit because they were afraid the general public would pick up on it and call them out. But Trump's rewritten the rules so that you can lie, you can "grab women by the pussy", you can insult anybody and anything and people will still like you because you will do the things.

The media has called Trump out on his lies and generally disgraceful behavior, but what did Trump do? He invented the "fake news" narrative to give people an excuse for the horrible stories they hear about him. By now, Trump is completely goddamn immune to anything we can throw at him. News stories and publicity won't do it, we have to be able to actually show the American people how much worse life has become or else they won't believe anything.

That is all. Goodbye.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, just want to stop in here to say one thing.

Y'all think Trump is an idiot. He's not.

Trump is a smart guy, otherwise he wouldn't have as much money as he has today.

Trump doesn't think Mexicans are rapists and murderers. Trump knows Iran is complying with the nuclear deal. Hell, he probably knows climate change is real too.

However, a very significant portion of America doesn't. He's essentially playing a massive con game with this faction (and the rest of America). He used them to get elected, and so far they like what he's doing because he's doing the things that they've wanted presidents to do but which presidents never have done because they would be colossally stupid policy. Previous presidents and presidential candidates tried not to lie or harass women or such stupid shit because they were afraid the general public would pick up on it and call them out. But Trump's rewritten the rules so that you can lie, you can "grab women by the pussy", you can insult anybody and anything and people will still like you because you will do the things.

The media has called Trump out on his lies and generally disgraceful behavior, but what did Trump do? He invented the "fake news" narrative to give people an excuse for the horrible stories they hear about him. By now, Trump is completely goddamn immune to anything we can throw at him. News stories and publicity won't do it, we have to be able to actually show the American people how much worse life has become or else they won't believe anything.

That is all. Goodbye.

Well if you're going to leave, I guess we'll just have to rebut you in absentia.

We've had the "crazy like a fox" argument before, though -- actually, I think we've had it fairly predictably, so forgive me if I recycle some points.

1. We don't actually know how much money Trump has today, but he's historically underperformed the market and his business ventures have failed over and over, leaving him saddled with considerable debt. Much of the modern Trump brand, where he licenses out his name and otherwise touches nothing, is Ivanka's doing. If Trump were smart, his noninterference wouldn't be a precondition of at least one bankruptcy proceeding. Now, you can argue that this is just more Trump being brilliant and defrauding the fools who invested in him for personal gain, but as a long-term strategy it has failed miserably. He should have gotten a much higher ROI on the money his dad gave him.

2. Neither Trump nor the Republican establishment wanted Trump to win; running for President was an ad campaign, not a serious attempt to gain the Presidency. Thus the mad scramble to put together an administration, and thus Trump's total disinterest in policy. He doesn't like being President. He likes golfing, rallies, and firing people on TV. The man failed so badly he couldn't even lose competently.

3. He's not doing the things, people know that, and his numbers are terrible and his legislative agenda is mostly dead. Let us not forget that for all of Trump's supposed genius, he has been a historically ineffectual President, so much so that he's been unable to get an ultra-Republican agenda through a Republican-controlled Congress helmed by a craven turtle with no priorities beyond reelection. Trump has failed spectacularly at something that should have been straightforward.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Trump as a 4D chessmaster remains silly whether you think he's a good genius or an evil genius. Trump's actions verifiably stand in the way of his goals on pretty much all levels, and tends to enter infinite regression arguments when one has already accepted the idea that Trump is some kind of genius strategist.

Is this a world where Trump cares about his policy agenda? Trump has utterly squandered the first quarter grace period of policy enactment, essentially only achieving in the unilateral field of executive orders and even then falling afoul of judicial review and public controversy.

Is this a world where Trump just wants to ascend his personal fame as a "ceremonial President"? Trump's approval amongst the public is in the garbage compared to other Presidents, he's verifiably more polarizing in a way that every other modern President was not and has even experienced erosion amongst his base before the end of the first year. He also has not truly delegated tasks, but more seems to expect that anybody who works in his administration will autonomously carry out his personal will and comes down on those who do not.

Is this a world where Trump is just a flaming troll? Then whence come the myriad of personal reports that he's infuriated that people won't enact his policies or respect his figure?

There exists no standard of evidence that prevents one from saying there's an additional Secret Level of Trump that's just laughing at what fools we all were as the masterstroke comes down upon our necks. But by all standards of what can actually be observed, the things that take place in our actual physical reality...this world looks a lot like the one where an inexperienced sliver spoon rageaholic and dirty old man sidelined his way into the Presidency through an unconventional strategy keying into the zeitgeist.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 915 916 [917] 918 919 ... 3565