Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 910 911 [912] 913 914 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4185446 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile

That is what I said. The fire codes are about making sure that safety defects don't set the house on fire, and ensuring that you can get out if a fire starts.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

In keeping with the way this conversation always goes, I'll just hit the major points:

- Most homes in the US are made of wood.

- It's because wood is plentiful and easier to work with than stone.

- The wall is full of stuff, it's not just some wood paneling and thick wood is as strong as stone.

- Any serious disaster will obliterate a wood and stone house just the same, and wood has better flexibility.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The flexibility is good in earthquake prone areas like California. Where a stone house might crack or crumble, a wood house will sway a bit and while there might be some damage, it's unlikely to take the whole thing down.

There's also usually some covering that's not wood on the outside. Often a plastic or aluminum covering, but also often some sort of concrete or plaster. External wood covering is rare these days.

There was a report a while back where it showed that it often doesn't matter what a house is made from, it's the clutter around the house, like tools and kids toys and garden equipment that rests right up against the house that traps burning embers and ignites the building. Now that doesn't say anything about a wall of fire sweeping across the area. But for the flying sparks and such, they're not too dangerous as long as you keep your yard and building surroundings clean.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Ah yes, earthquakes. That makes sense. We don't have major earthquakes over here in the Netherlands, except the recent ones caused by decades of draining gas fields below the north, which sometimes get to about 5 magnitude. Those will end though, as gas extraction has been mostly shut down after the earthquakes and subsequent property value loss sparked a political shitstorm. We're at a safe distance from tectonic faults, so our construction safety laws worry about fire a whole lot more than about earthquakes.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile

When I moved out to LA, there was a trailer playing in theaters about the San Andreas Faultline splitting the whole city in half.  That did not help my nerves about moving into a new place, let me tell you.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Given the way things have been trending, California's real problem will be earthquakes which belch killer bees who are also on fire, and wielding assault rifles.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wildfires gain sentience and begin violent Avacado raids.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile

More likely would be wine grapes that claim sentience and campaign for equal human rights.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah yes, earthquakes. That makes sense. We don't have major earthquakes over here in the Netherlands, except the recent ones caused by decades of draining gas fields below the north, which sometimes get to about 5 magnitude. Those will end though, as gas extraction has been mostly shut down after the earthquakes and subsequent property value loss sparked a political shitstorm. We're at a safe distance from tectonic faults, so our construction safety laws worry about fire a whole lot more than about earthquakes.
The only two earthquakes I've felt in the UK were in (I think) 1990, atop a prefabbily-constructed multistorey building that seemed to give us the sensation of movement that ground-dwellers in the area (well away frommthe epicentre) lacked, and one in 2008 that was apparently felt in the Netherlands. (I was awake at the time, on the first floor of my house. It was sleepable-through, probably, but I was doing much as I am now, coincidentally.)

Both were (longterm inactive and ancient) fault-slips, and I've never felt any mining, well-drilling or fracking tremors of any kind, despite having spent time in susceptible areas of the UK.

This has little to do with US politics, but I thought I'd share, and also share that I've never lived in any building (in the UK) for more than a week at a time that wasn't brick-built (or concrete-framed and brick-faced, I suppose, in one location). I've only seen one case of actual (otherwise fairly sound) building damage from UK storm-force winds. Not the famous 1987 Fish stkrm, but (probably) the 1990 Burns' Day one, which toppled a stone chimney stack (of a probably Victorian era building, so may have really needed regrouting) as I was walking nearby. I don't think I'd trust the kind of building that seems to be built predominently in suburban Tornado Alley. This is what a F4 sorry, maybe that should be T4 (to 5) tornado did here in the UK (one of the worst events, but with tornados surprisingly likely), but note that it's mostly rooves and household debris. Even where the brickwork was dangerously toppled, there was already plenty of more numerous 'lighter' debris likely to cause injury.

Ahem. Rambling on. Ignore me.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

More likely would be wine grapes that claim sentience and campaign for equal human rights.
"Wine is a liberal conspiracy! #BeerLivesMatter"

also RE Cali fires
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 07:42:48 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile

"Wine is a liberal conspiracy! #BeerLivesMatter"

also RE Cali fires

Without sarcasm that is the actual things that would be said, absolutely.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I mean wine is a conspiracy to get money out of people.  Or expensive wines at least.  From what I've heard cheap wines are fine in terms of cost:value ratio.  Don't drink myself, just know there have been studies where wine tasters failed to distinguish between wines if they didn't know in advance what they were drinking.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

I saw a video where a wine taster who did see the labels and boxes didn't rate anything below a B-. So I guess it's more of the upper side that's the lie.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile

Damn, those fires in California are turning out to be as big a distaster as the hurricanes. Just saw some videos on dutch national 8 oçlock news, looks like some villages or towns were completely burned to the ground there. Horrible. Stay safe, Californian forumites.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2017/10/11/killer-wildfires-continue-to-scorch-californias-wine-country-with-21-dead-and-hundreds-missing/

EDIT: what does amaze me, is that judging by the debris, a lot of houses in the area are built of wood, with no to barely any stones used.
Were those all old houses, or does the US not have fire safety regulations for residential construction?

Luckily I have managed to avoid such fires entirely, is their an interactive updated map I can look at thoug?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

I don't think I'd trust the kind of building that seems to be built predominently in suburban Tornado Alley. This is what a F4 sorry, maybe that should be T4 (to 5) tornado did here in the UK (one of the worst events, but with tornados surprisingly likely), but note that it's mostly rooves and household debris. Even where the brickwork was dangerously toppled, there was already plenty of more numerous 'lighter' debris likely to cause injury.
Lived in Tornado Alley for roughly 2/3rds of my life, from that picture I could tell it was between EF2 and EF3, which is about what a Torro 4~5 scale would be. An EF4 is T8~T9 and is basically anything short of "scoured foundations" while EF5 gets to fun stuff like "part of the foundation was lifted half a meter and displaced a dozen cm or so laterally" so you are building to be redone easily, you don't realistically build single family housing to withstand those.
Pages: 1 ... 910 911 [912] 913 914 ... 3566