Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 908 909 [910] 911 912 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4187111 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Trump tweeted this morning:

"Puerto Rico survived the Hurricanes, now a financial crisis looms largely of their own making." says Sharyl Attkisson. A total lack of.....
...accountability say the Governor. Electric and all infrastructure was disaster before hurricanes. Congress to decide how much to spend....
...We cannot keep FEMA, the Military & the First Responders, who have been amazing (under the most difficult circumstances) in P.R. forever!

....I think he still thinks helping Puerto Rico is foreign aid. This is like going back to the Good Old Days(TM) when the fire department would watch your house burn if you hadn't paid your fire insurance.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Your place was a shithole before the hurricane hit so we won't bother helping you fix it.

Besides, the majority of the US has shitty infrastructure, fuck those places as well, right?

Also someone needs to righ his phone so he gets a strong electric shock whenever he finishes a tweet with an exclamation mark, that shit is getting annoying as fuck.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Definetly sounds like he is treating Puerto Rico as if it was a foriegn country. :P It does have financial troubles which it has part of the blame, but Congress has a huge part of the blame as well.

Gotta wonder if he is trying to make PR get fed up, give the middle finger, and become an independent country alltogether.

I know we tend to give our territories the short stick, but this is really pushing that short stick.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As far as UNESCO, Trump doesn't like education, science or culture, so no surprise there...

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Definetly sounds like he is treating Puerto Rico as if it was a foriegn country. :P It does have financial troubles which it has part of the blame, but Congress has a huge part of the blame as well.

Gotta wonder if he is trying to make PR get fed up, give the middle finger, and become an independent country alltogether.

I know we tend to give our territories the short stick, but this is really pushing that short stick.

Listen, we won Puerto Rico from Spain, fair and square. If they get uppity and go off on their own, Spain and us... we're going to have to have a talk.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Listen, we won Puerto Rico from Spain, fair and square. If they get uppity and go off on their own, Spain and us... we're going to have to have a talk.
you will live to see USA manifest destiny into yurop like a shit paradox game

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

you will live to see USA manifest destiny into yurop like a shit paradox game

Trump's already beaten the odds in a dozen different ways. I can see him managing to pull the right events to grant Casus belli against the Kingdom of Castile.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know you aren't being serious with that second sentence, but does Spain even care about or have any interests in their former Carribean holdings anymore? Besides trade and the usual foriegn relations.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know you aren't being serious with that second sentence, but does Spain even care about or have any interests in their former Carribean holdings anymore? Besides trade and the usual foriegn relations.

I don't think Spain had much interest in the Caribbean at all after they pulled all the easy to get gold out of it. Almost all their holdings revolved around shipping gold back to Europe to fund their stuff over there. Just about any time it stopped being profitable or they ran into any resistance, they pulled out. The few holdings they still had there in the 19th and 20th century were just the ones that hadn't bothered rebelling against them yet.

Granted, this is a very simplified view of things. I'm sure it's not that simple. But Spain does have a history of basically "Go in, mine the gold, leave. If some of our people want to stay there and call themselves Spanish, that's all cool, but don't expect much support."

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile

And then they were surprised when their colonies hated them and wanted to rebel.

I say good riddance to soccer/football.

The most boring sport to watch in the history of mankind.

Yes curling is more exiting to watch.

I mean that's just ignorant, lol. It's the most popular sport in the world and a bit of an aberration in the US. In my experience, it's mostly the people who have never watched/played/don't under the rules of soccer that hold this opinion. A good game of ANY sport in the world is usually fun to watch provided you know the rules. I have seen boring games of gridiron football and exciting games of baseball (which never happens.) So, y'know, educate yourself. It's a game that has a lot more tactical and strategic depth than guidon football does with a much better balance between offense and defense. I could talk all day about the really shitty rule changes in the NFL which have basically ruined the game, but suffice to say, it's really no more fun to see MORE touchdowns when you make it impossible to defend receivers. RIP the run game, because you always want to see a monster run from a good RB.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 10:04:46 am by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

I don't think Spain had much interest in the Caribbean at all after they pulled all the easy to get gold out of it. Almost all their holdings revolved around shipping gold back to Europe to fund their stuff over there. Just about any time it stopped being profitable or they ran into any resistance, they pulled out. The few holdings they still had there in the 19th and 20th century were just the ones that hadn't bothered rebelling against them yet.
Granted, this is a very simplified view of things. I'm sure it's not that simple. But Spain does have a history of basically "Go in, mine the gold, leave. If some of our people want to stay there and call themselves Spanish, that's all cool, but don't expect much support."
That would be their holdings in the Americas, most of Spanish money (or really, all money) made in the Caribbean during the colonial era of the Caribbean was made through sugar plantations or some spice plantations. Thus while they would've liked to retain them, the decline in value of sugar, end of slavery and the cost of defending the islands from much greater naval powers simply wasn't worth it, and they wouldn't try retaking say, Cuba, knowing the USA would put an end to that very quickly. That and they're more busy with internal and external pressures from jihadis, traffickers and civil unrest that they wouldn't be thinking about a transatlantic annexation of all things
Spoiler: relevant now as then (click to show/hide)

Trump's already beaten the odds in a dozen different ways. I can see him managing to pull the right events to grant Casus belli against the Kingdom of Castile.
Diplomatic insult cb

And then they were surprised when their colonies hated them and wanted to rebel.
There's a lot more to it than that
In the colonies you had a certain class of Creoles (Spanish subjects of European descent born in the colonial provinces of Latin America) whom held most of the political, military and economic jobs, careers, offices and posts of prestige and economic gain, and also benefited from a caste system which enshrined legal privileges, social status and even beneficial taxation versus the rest of the nation. This group was inevitably integral to the running of the Spanish Latin American Empire and integral to its dismantling. These elites were well-educated, and it didn't take long for enlightenment ideals of liberty to spread after radical texts from protestant nations were translated into Spanish, though it's worth noting that the ideals of liberty were carefully selected or discarded and limited largely to the colonial elite. In the 18th century the Spanish Bourbon dynasty would attempt to reform the Spanish Empire, seeking to centralize power under the Crown instead of in the hands of the Creoles. Administrative posts were favourably given to Continental-born Spaniards over the Creoles, the Bourbon monarchy successfully oversaw the switch from much of the economies of Latin America from treasure-fleet plundering to trade, which had the consequence of making the Creoles more economically powerful but politically weak - so inevitably they were hungry for more money but frustrated by their lack of means to do so. Importantly, the Spanish government discouraged and disallowed the Spanish colonials to trade with the European colonies in North America or European nations in Europe, only within the Spanish Empire. The elite status of the Creoles was diminished as the Spanish government deliberately undermined the caste system.
This created a powerful faction, but the faction wasn't agitating for liberty - predisposed to ideas of it, but they still supported remaining within the Spanish Empire. All that changes when Spain allies with the French Monarchy, joining the French in war against the British. This was unfortunately prior to the Royal Navy becoming the foremost naval power in the world, which was somewhat a diplomatic error on the part of Spain, as the Royal Navy subsequently cut off lines of communication between the Spanish Empire and Spain.
Creole traders couldn't actually send any ships to trade with Spain, because the Royal Navy was in the way. Creole traders also legally couldn't trade with any other colonies or entities except Spain. Spanish governors and messengers couldn't travel between Spain and the colonies, and all of this meant that there was a simultaneous breakdown of effective Spanish rule over the colonies, and the Creoles being given permission ("given," in the sense that it could not be refused) the right to trade with anyone. This greatly expanded the political and economic powers of the Creole, and most of all gave them a taste of the benefits of independence and self-government. Things would completely turn fubar when the French turned on the Spanish, and the Spanish were now diplomatically isolated, and to make matters worse the Spanish King and his heir were imprisoned by Napoleon. Given that power was centralized under the monarchy, and the monarchy was now gone - Spain's legitimacy to rule over her own state evaporated overnight. France's efforts to consolidate control over Spain and the Spanish Empire didn't work, caused a civil war, and amidst all this chaos and evaporation the Latin American colonies declared independence & the Portuguese Empire moved its capital to Brazil, which of course set the stage for future Brazilian independence.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Diplomatic insult cb

Trump's tenure has been a game where you set all your sliders to random, and just go around spending all your diplo points on diplomatic insults.
And try to declare war on your own ministers.

Other issues on the national stage?

1. California is going up in smoke, and not in the fun 1978 Cheech & Chong way. Although....

2. The Weinstein scandal continues to explode, turning Hollywood into "Who Hasn't Been Groped By A Millionaire?". The alt-right take on it? 'Of course this is no surprise...he's a Jew'

3. Trump claims that the stock market rally -- sorry, HIS stock market rally -- has possibly wiped out the national debt, thus failing economics forever.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Trump's tenure has been a game where you set all your sliders to random, and just go around spending all your diplo points on diplomatic insults.
And try to declare war on your own ministers.
this dlc sucks

Other issues on the national stage?
1. California is going up in smoke, and not in the fun 1978 Cheech & Chong way. Although....
dude weed LMAO

2. The Weinstein scandal continues to explode, turning Hollywood into "Who Hasn't Been Groped By A Millionaire?". The alt-right take on it? 'Of course this is no surprise...he's a Jew'
Mark Oppenheimer is a Jewish reporter whose specialty is reporting for a Jewish audience. Tablet mag itself, well:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Don't you just love it when people form hatemobs to target jews for being nazis. Antifa YES
[internal, external screaming, lots of screaming]

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Hey, don't forget the attempt at using an executive order to make it easier for insurance companies to go back to the good ol' days of selling insurance that does fuck all. Probably other stuff going under the radar due to this administration trying to screw over governmental organizations/the American public/whatever the hell trump's fixated on that day being less news and more tuesday.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

3. Trump claims that the stock market rally -- sorry, HIS stock market rally -- has possibly wiped out the national debt, thus failing economics forever.

I'd love to find out how the heck he reached that conclusion..... :P
Pages: 1 ... 908 909 [910] 911 912 ... 3566