Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 906 907 [908] 909 910 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4187127 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

Oh fuck...

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile

Actually from that video I decided to look something up, and there's a recent whitehouse petition to classify Antifa as a terrorist organization that passed the required numbers back around August 20th.
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/formally-recognize-antifa-terrorist-organization-0
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/white-house-petition-asks-trump-to-formally-recognize-antifa-as-terrorist-organization/article/2632024

Trump's administration is technically obliged to make a formal response to this within 60 days. But I'm not sure whether that is 60 days from the day the petitioned passed 100,000 (which would be around October 19th) or 60 days from the cut-off date of the petition (which would be November 16th). Can anyone clarify that? If the first one, we're going to be hearing something about that soon.

Either way, some people point out that the Whitehouse doesn't have the authority to make such a designation, but that's not really the point here. An official statement discussion Antifa as a terrorist organization is going to be highly damaging. The right has a lot to gain by making everything about Antifa in the lead-up to the 2018 elections. Plus it would legitimize more heavy-handed police tactics against protestors.

If this ends up tanking the 2018 elections then it would highlight the strategic error in creating a named organization with a uniform then going around attacking people.

So I'm real quick going to address this, because it seems to have been glossed over by a lot of people, then I'm going to leave again:

Antifa hasn't been 'formally' declared a terrorist organization yet, but one state (New Jersey) names them as such and the FBI already classifies their activities as domestic terrorism, it is not any form of stretch to assume that an official declaration is forthcoming.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

I think it's been pretty clear that I look down on antifa from my posts, but I really don't think rioting should be grounds for being named a terrorist.

Fuck, by that standard, every hooligan club would be a terrorist organisation.
Love, scriver~

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile

The funny thing is that I found an old post of mine saying to be wary of the Neo-Nazis rising, to which I was shot down (in fact people said I was crazy for bringing up the possible far-right threat before the election, too), and a couple of pages later we have Max taking the piss out of Antifa, saying they shouldn't go around hitting people because it's counter-productive. How times change.

So ... yeah, I was already against all that stuff before, no Nazi Apologist, I just think that fighting them with Antifa ISIS-lookalikes is, in fact, hurting more than it's helping. And they're going around punching more or less random people by this stage, which is undermining any anti-nazi part of the message.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=162538.msg7428489#msg7428489

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=162538.msg7429363#msg7429363

Wow, I am sorry that people thought you were not worth listening too, anyway how do link to your own messages?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Spies spying on spies spying on spies. The Kapersky plot thickens.
Whether Kapersky willingly allowed Russian hackers access, or whether they didn't know they were hacked... It seems a good idea to switch to another anti-virus regardless of which option.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/10/technology/kaspersky-lab-israel-russia-hacking.html?action=click&contentCollection=technology%C2%AEion=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

anyway how do link to your own messages?

One way is to hover over the heading on the post, and it gives you a link, which you can right-click and copy the link location.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 07:15:06 am by Reelya »

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile

Punch or no, Trevor Noah lost my respect like an anime fan on prom night.  At around 3:00, 2:45 for context.
https://youtu.be/kmpqnxpYUqA?t=144

I'm not going to lie... on my list of complaints,
I don't think this should represent the alt-left.

But breaking windows is a symbolic act.
And if you were old, man, you *would* think it was a deep act.

The sarcasm in this ass's act is true.
Bullshit. Breaking a window is vandalism. The only act it's symbolic of is being a fucking nuisance who would be better off living in Somalia or some other shit country where stuff like that is tolerated.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think antifa is squandering a potentially once-in-a-lifetime opportunity they've been handed to cultivate a stronger radical left in America. They'd have more success in times like these if they focused on building up organizations and limiting their public activities to ones that generate neutral and only slightly negative publicity, essentially just to gain public recognition and say "hey, anarchism is an option." Then when the economy tumbles again or Trump nukes American Samoa the anarchists are actually prepared to take advantage of broader public anger and make some sort of credible impact.

Instead they're focusing on indulging a ridiculous fantasy centered on a Weimar fetish and delusions of militancy, to say nothing of the wasted energy chasing marginal fascists down their own rabbitholes. I'm not even an anarchist or in favor of radical politics, but its irritating to see them so stupidly discredit their own movement.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

Bullshit. Breaking a window is vandalism. The only act it's symbolic of is being a fucking nuisance who would be better off living in Somalia or some other shit country where stuff like that is tolerated.
Yeah uh, sorry about that, I was very drunk.  I have no idea what point I was trying to make.
Sorry for posting like that.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

In more amusing news, the US soccer team has not qualified for the next World Cup due to fucking up a match against Trinidad and Tobago that they only had to tie. This is the first time since 1986 that the American team has not qualified, and if what I'm reading is to be believed this is based in a useless incestuous moneypit having replaced people who can actually coach and play soccer.

Now while I, like all right-thinking patriots, just sort of don't care about soccer the social media explosion in and outside of America has been amusing as hell. I've seen death threats against the team and the coach, disappointment that there will never be a US-Russia match in these geopolitically volatile times, and most importantly of all Europeans who are unreasonably obsessed with a grand project to make Americans care about soccer witnessing the fall of their ambition.

Riperinos, checkerball-men.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

Yeah, it's bad enough not being able to care about basketball, baseball, or even football anymore, I've got far more important things to worry about than soccer, like seeing if there are any ingrown hairs on my legs, clipping my toenails, or just doing nothing and combing my beard.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah uh, sorry about that, I was very drunk.  I have no idea what point I was trying to make.

I mean I hear Starbucks makes a lousy coffee, but is it really such a bold statement as they think it's making? Are soy lattes from the vegan place really better? And there's one point about attacking franchises - the local owner pays for all damage. Starbucks makes money selling them new singage and stuff. It's also free advertising for Starbucks.

Now *I* want to try Starbucks because someone thought their windows were worth smashing. If you want me to try the vegan soy lattes, go smash their windows up then people would at least hear about the place.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 03:02:54 pm by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

When windows break look for window salesmen

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

When windows break look for window salesmen

I can't find him there's only soup
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I mean I hear Starbucks makes a lousy coffee, but is it really such a bold statement as they think it's making? Are soy lattes from the vegan place really better? And there's one point about attacking franchises - the local owner pays for all damage. Starbucks makes money selling them new singage and stuff. It's also free advertising for Starbucks.

Now *I* want to try Starbucks because someone thought their windows were worth smashing. If you want me to try the vegan soy lattes, go smash their windows up then people would at least hear about the place.

Minor nitpick, but Starbucks isn't a franchise in the US. Roughly 40% of the stores are licensed locations, but those typically only exist in areas that are monopolized and are hard to open in otherwise such as in airports. The other ~60% of Starbucks stores are wholly owned by the corporation and make up most of the standalone stores. The window smashed one was likely a not a licensed store. Rules are different, however, abroad, where they do franchise rarely.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 06:33:08 pm by sluissa »
Pages: 1 ... 906 907 [908] 909 910 ... 3566