Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 899 900 [901] 902 903 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4194360 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Yeah my take on "not naming names" is that he's trying to avoid this becoming a personal shit-flinging contest, not that he's intuiting anyone's deepest thoughts.
And on the first point, it's obviously failing.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile

Next time I'll make sure to mark everything with the International Sarcmark, just for your sake, hector.

Perhaps you’d like to do as your’re trying to get EH to do and say what you mean, instead of engaging in passive-aggressive games ::)
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Far left wants to punch the right.

Far right wants to punch the left.

Moderates just want the punching to stop.
Which is fine and dandy when you're Switzerland and can pretend that nothing outside your mountains concerns you.
They don't just pretend. They spend great efforts to make it so.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

Yeah that's fine but I don't really care considering there are nazis in Charlottesville talking about not being replaced and planning to return.

Hypothetical "what if people start calling others nazis" is ridiculous: I don't give a fuck what someone else says about another person when there is someone happily stating they think genocide of non-white folk is cool.

Did I give you the impression of trying to convince you of anything, Max? I really don't see any need to.

I'm simply trying to help you understand why the world will never conform to your power fantasies. You can accept it and figure out a better way of stopping the Nazis, or you can keep going on about how you'll totally punch those betas into submission for saying things you don't like. I simply suspect that the former will be more satisfying to you in the long term than the latter.
Ain't got a thing to do with me sweetheart, don't project, if you think it's a power fantasy just ask me, but the last time we had a group of "nod and a wink not racist but totally racist" right wing fuckers doing protests and shit with leaders dog whistling for them we got the tea party candidates who are in office now. Now we're looking at a newly emboldened and ever more openly racist form of the same bullshit and while there is wisdom to the idea of "ignore them and they'll go away" for most things, I don't want to deal with nazi candidates getting elected by pushing the acceptable discourse line over that far.

Engaging in discussion with them means you're treating white supremacist bullshit as a valid point of discussion.

Ignoring them runs the risk of them building support outside of your bubble.

Jumping up and down on nazi bullshit when it rears it's head doesn't say "this is worth discussion" and it doesn't let them keep adding people to their hateful clique without running the risk of getting jumped up and down on.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

The irony of people calling the current crop "Nazi" is that the original nazis probably would have looked down on them as thugs and untermenschen.
That's not ironic at all: it's what happened historically to the Freikorps. Nasty, brutish, dangerous, useful, and ultimately disposed of by the Nazi high command once their position was secure.

Can we move into a non-nazi line of topic?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

Next time I'll make sure to mark everything with the International Sarcmark, just for your sake, hector.

Perhaps you’d like to do as your’re trying to get EH to do and say what you mean, instead of engaging in passive-aggressive games ::)

I see you didn't quite get the point even when when it was spelled out to you, anyway. It's not about "EH not saying what he means", it's about him thinking others are "secret Nazis" because he can totally tell that they are somehow.
Love, scriver~

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile

This is the American politics thread, so I'm using the American definitions (as good as i can ;) ) for simplicity. And to make everything even more complicated outside of it.
What you used isn't American definition of liberal.

No.

lol

Curious tho, how am I "authoritarian?"

Your dislike of pluralism, what your arguments and way of speaking about other members of this forums reveals about you, how you deride everyone who do not agree with you 100% or in any way question or simply to not agree with your narrative as the Enemy - a common authoritarian technique to bully people into both getting in line. Of course, pointing to any particular post in which you have been downright authoritarian isn't possible, because in your dishonesty you hide what I just know you actually think. Which is why, and I repeat, you should stop pretending so you can genuinely participate in the conversation and say what you mean.

If it quacks like a duck and it waddles like a duck, its a duck.  I've been on this forum for a long time and for years I was involved in the political discussion threads, the gender threads in particular.  I have a decent idea of how things tick here.  The same thing happens over and over, people come on the threads, lead with "I don't agree with ____, but", and then 6 months later they're banned for going on a wild rant or linking to stormfront or something.  This isn't how I talk to people in real life, because everyone I know in real life is either disengaged from politics or willing to tell me where they stand.  I know people in real life that are like "I'm with the democrats on social issues but the republicans on economic issues," and I'm fine with that.  I mean you've been around at least as long as I have, if you've been watching me in the politics thread you know I'm passionate about wanting 3rd parties to be viable.  I hate that environmentalists need to shackle themselves to the democrats (who in the time between Al Gore's failure and a couple years ago, were pretty center line on environmentalism) because the green party isn't viable.  And I hate that libertarians, much as I disagree with them, need to shackle themselves to the religious right in order to achieve political influence.  The reason I'm mad at moderates right now is because there's only one democratic party and I don't want it to be a moderate party.  In our current awful reality there's only two parties in America, it makes no sense to have a far-right party and a moderate party.  That doesn't end in centrism, that ends in conservatives getting their way.  Its a bad political strategy plain and simple.

At risk of putting words in the mouth of everyone that's argued with me, this is how I would define the core disagreement I've been having with people.  I believe that a pluralistic society requires accommodation.  For example, back in Reconstruction the free market would not have been pluralistic.  Because the slaves had nothing, we had to give them their mules and their 40 acres or they could not participate in society.  Its a different definition of fairness; one is fair because the government treats everyone equally, the other is fair because the government *protects* everyone equally.  In the present this is why I care so much about healthcare and welfare, because to me those are necessary for a pluralistic society.  A dead person isn't going to be taking part in society, a homeless person isn't either.  This to me is what Bernie said I had already been thinking.

This is the core of it.  Parent tells their kids that gay people are going to hell.  Person overhears this, gets in an argument with them.  Forget whether that's pragmatic, just focus on these two viewpoints.  That is pluralistic, because if those kids are gay, hearing that from their parents will prevent them from being their genuine selves in society.  OR, that's not pluralistic, because parents have a right to raise their kids however they want, and trying to interfere disrupts the parent's ability to express their genuine self.  That is the core of the disagreements I'm getting into in this thread.  Their may be more than two viewpoints here, but I think most people in this thread have either not chimed in or slotted themselves cleanly enough into one or the other.

As a person who's spent my life on the knife's edge between disabled and not, and can easily see an alternate universe where I dropped out of school and ended up dead in a ditch somewhere, this is a self demonstrating point to me.  Without the support of people around me and without access to medicine, I could not meaningfully take part in society.  So when someone comes along and tells me that pluralism means taking a step back and letting everyone do their thing, hell yeah I'm going to get mad.  That's not pluralism.  Tolerance, pluralism, freedom, all come with an inherent disclaimer: everyone can do what they want as long as it doesn't effect other people's ability to do what they want.  So fuck yeah neo-nazis aren't protected under the umbrella of tolerance.  They need to have their right to assemble purely so that others can maintain that right; there is nothing about their philosophy unto itself that is worth protecting.  Coexistance is a two way street and you can't shake a hand that isn't offered.

All parts of the American political spectrum believe in liberty, which is why liberal doesn't mean what you think it does.  Yes, even those very few who are pro slavery or in favor of non-democratic systems believe in fairness and liberty, they just define those things differently.  "Fairness means everyone is equal."  "Fairness means everyone is treated equally by the system."  In American politics, you're a democrat or a republican depending on which statement is true.  Or you didn't pay attention in social studies if you think they both are.  Being democrat or republican doesn't mean that you aren't moderate, because in American politics coalitions are formed PRIOR to elections rather than after them.  The parties are coalitions.  Its not about two sides, its about two sets of many sides facing off with, with the people furthest from each coalition's center disengaging from the process.  My disagreement with moderates is part of the larger debate between Hillary democrats and Bernie democrats, who are both very similar politically.  Its a power struggle within the coalition for who takes the wheel, with the loser likely to distance themselves from the party and face lower levels of voting and political participation.  The voters with true power in the US system are those that are so pragmatic or jaded that they hold both statements either irrelevant or false.  Those are the swing voters.  They are the only ones who can go from one coalition to the other.

Left-center-right means specific things in America that it doesn't necessarily in other countries.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile

I see you didn't quite get the point even when when it was spelled out to you, anyway. It's not about "EH not saying what he means", it's about him thinking others are "secret Nazis" because he can totally tell that they are somehow.

Evidently I need to take my own advice and learn to communicate more clearly.

You managed to express what you were trying to get EH to understand in your previous posts in a handful of sentences. Why did you not do that in your initial response? Does your sarcasm and passive aggression add something to your point?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile

EH to understand in your previous posts in a handful of sentences
God I wish I knew how to be concise.  I do feel on this forum sometimes people will grab the one line out of your post that sounds bad so you have to get your whole argument out there at once.  Can feel kind of like writing an essay sometimes.  I know I dump walls of texts on everyone and I usually don't start out meaning to.

Anyway, I've said what I'm going to say.  Redking put it well when he said "nazi apologist".  Its possible to defend someone and at the same time refuse to identify with them, for me that counts as not genuinely participating in the argument.  Argue against nazis the apologist will defend them, argue against the apologist and they will say they aren't a nazi.  Its tiresome.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

And to be fair, I don't think those people are intending to be Nazi apologists, but that's what it comes down to.

I know this has probably been tossed in the thread in the last couple of months, but MLK's "Letters from a Birmingham Jail" kinda sums it up:

"First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season."

Shallow understanding from people of goodwill is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection."

That passage about a negative peace and a positive peace pretty much nails it, I think.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

Evidently I need to take my own advice and learn to communicate more clearly.

You managed to express what you were trying to get EH to understand in your previous posts in a handful of sentences. Why did you not do that in your initial response? Does your sarcasm and passive aggression add something to your point?

You should probably look back at the two first posts I made because I did that. I added the other because I thought it would be easier for EH to understand if it was his own words being used against him.

Evidently I was wrong, because he completely ignored every point I tried making and focused on a arguing about the word and term "liberal", as if that had any relevance to anything I said.
Love, scriver~

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That passage about a negative peace and a positive peace pretty much nails it, I think.

So we should just blindly listen to the most violent extremists who kind of agree with us and endorse their actions universally?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

... and in news other than failing communication checks, any one noticed estimate on when/if PR being substantially flattened is going to start hitting prescription prices?

Remember seeing somewhere they're apparently a pretty important area for drug production and a number of the plants they had putting out the stuff had closed down for however long, but just now remembered that I haven't bothered following up on it/seeing if it's getting much/any attention. Asking means even if I get distracted and forget again, someone else might not :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Not sure. The only thing I take is manufactured in Israel.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

... and in news other than failing communication checks, any one noticed estimate on when/if PR being substantially flattened is going to start hitting prescription prices?

Remember seeing somewhere they're apparently a pretty important area for drug production and a number of the plants they had putting out the stuff had closed down for however long, but just now remembered that I haven't bothered following up on it/seeing if it's getting much/any attention. Asking means even if I get distracted and forget again, someone else might not :V
As far as I know there are only thirteen drugs for which they are the sole source. The FDA is currently intervening to expedite shipping those factories fuel to continue running on their generators and otherwise solve the infrastructure problems; there's also enough stock remaining that the time to shortage cannot be estimated with any confidence.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 04:00:21 pm by Trekkin »
Pages: 1 ... 899 900 [901] 902 903 ... 3566