Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 898 899 [900] 901 902 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4194494 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The irony of people calling the current crop "Nazi" is that the original nazis probably would have looked down on them as thugs and untermenschen.
Ok so is it still ok to punch the ones that say "I'm a fucking nazi" or does that hit the same slippery slope?
It wasn't okay to begin with. You'll have committed an assault, and he'll have committed free speech.

If there is a mistake here, then the onus is on them to come out and say "hey, though we were acting like nazis and even calling ourselves nazis at various points, we don't actually want to eradicate non-white people, and think hitler was a dick" otherwise fuck 'em all.
Just so you know, actual nazis didn't want to eradicate non-white people. They considered non-Germans to be inferior, but not necessarily bad to have around in general. A lot of the most evil things that happened were not necessarily because they were thought of as philosophical goals, but because they were economically pragmatic and not philosophically prohibited. Of course, the line is a bit blurry in some cases, most famously with the concentration camps, where there were certain classes of people whom it was seen as desirable to separate from society, and then it became economically pragmatic to no longer keep them alive. But still, the motivation is being mischaracterized here. Lebensraum does not, after all, translate to "extermination".

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

Maybe not a priori, but certainly a posteriori. And regarding Jews, homosexuals, Roma and Sinti, and other groups, it certainly was extermination from the beginning, regardless of economic incentives. In fact late in the war the concentration camps were still gobbling up fuel that was desperately needed by the retreating army.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe not a priori, but certainly a posteriori. And regarding Jews, homosexuals, Roma and Sinti, and other groups, it certainly was extermination from the beginning, regardless of economic incentives. In fact late in the war the concentration camps were still gobbling up fuel that was desperately needed by the retreating army.

That bolded part is wonderfully ironic.

Anyways, genocide is still genocide, no matter how you slice it.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile

This is the American politics thread, so I'm using the American definitions (as good as i can ;) ) for simplicity. And to make everything even more complicated outside of it.
Point for point I'm very aligned with the democratic platform.  And I've been honest about that.  What you used isn't American definition of liberal.  We use liberal to mean "American left".  Libertarian would be the closest American term to the word you're using, although I'm not sure the degree to which an outsider would find libertarians genuinely liberal.

Curious tho, how am I "authoritarian?"

The irony of people calling the current crop "Nazi" is that the original nazis probably would have looked down on them as thugs and untermenschen.
Ok so is it still ok to punch the ones that say "I'm a fucking nazi" or does that hit the same slippery slope?
It wasn't okay to begin with. You'll have committed an assault, and he'll have committed free speech.

If there is a mistake here, then the onus is on them to come out and say "hey, though we were acting like nazis and even calling ourselves nazis at various points, we don't actually want to eradicate non-white people, and think hitler was a dick" otherwise fuck 'em all.
Just so you know, actual nazis didn't want to eradicate non-white people. They considered non-Germans to be inferior, but not necessarily bad to have around in general. A lot of the most evil things that happened were not necessarily because they were thought of as philosophical goals, but because they were economically pragmatic and not philosophically prohibited. Of course, the line is a bit blurry in some cases, most famously with the concentration camps, where there were certain classes of people whom it was seen as desirable to separate from society, and then it became economically pragmatic to no longer keep them alive. But still, the motivation is being mischaracterized here. Lebensraum does not, after all, translate to "extermination".
Spoiler: history debate (click to show/hide)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

And regarding Jews, homosexuals, Roma and Sinti, and other groups, it certainly was extermination from the beginning, regardless of economic incentives. In fact late in the war the concentration camps were still gobbling up fuel that was desperately needed by the retreating army.

It's not ironic at all. If the Jews are the real enemy of the German people, it makes perfect sense to pour resources into combating them instead of forestalling the end of the war by another couple months. Keeping the Holocaust going was, from the Nazi perspective, a heroic self-sacrifice by the régime. It was a matter of great importance to them that no undesirables would survive.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And regarding Jews, homosexuals, Roma and Sinti, and other groups, it certainly was extermination from the beginning, regardless of economic incentives. In fact late in the war the concentration camps were still gobbling up fuel that was desperately needed by the retreating army.

It's not ironic at all. If the Jews are the real enemy of the German people, it makes perfect sense to pour resources into combating them instead of forestalling the end of the war by another couple months. Keeping the Holocaust going was, from the Nazi perspective, a heroic self-sacrifice by the régime. It was a matter of great importance to them that no undesirables would survive.

Still ironic from a strategic or tactical perspective since they were so single minded about it to their own detriment. Not that prolonging the end of the war would have done much good anyway.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Far left wants to punch the right.

Far right wants to punch the left.

Moderates just want the punching to stop.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I guess that succintly sums it up.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Which is fine and dandy when you're Switzerland and can pretend that nothing outside your mountains concerns you.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

This is the American politics thread, so I'm using the American definitions (as good as i can ;) ) for simplicity. And to make everything even more complicated outside of it.
What you used isn't American definition of liberal.

No.

Curious tho, how am I "authoritarian?"

Your dislike of pluralism, what your arguments and way of speaking about other members of this forums reveals about you, how you deride everyone who do not agree with you 100% or in any way question or simply to not agree with your narrative as the Enemy - a common authoritarian technique to bully people into both getting in line. Of course, pointing to any particular post in which you have been downright authoritarian isn't possible, because in your dishonesty you hide what I just know you actually think. Which is why, and I repeat, you should stop pretending so you can genuinely participate in the conversation and say what you mean.

Love, scriver~

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Take a second to look at what you actually just wrote.

"I can't point to any proof that you're authoritarian, I just *know* your thoughts."

Really?  ???
And people are accusing the pro-Antifa crowd of thoughtcrime?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile

scriver is turning into the personification of Poe’s Law with his passive-aggression, methinks.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am simply echoing the way EnigmaticHat thinks about other forumgoers (He won't name names) back at him. That's why I've been repeating that last sentence back at him in every post. I don't actually think he is authoritarian, I'm trying to make a point about the way he reasons.

Also more to the point being Muslim doesn't imply any kind of support of complacency with the 9/11 attacks.  Being a neo-nazi automatically makes you in support of violence.  That's kind of the point of it.

Anyway, the main thrust of what I'm saying isn't about Muslims or Nazis, its about our political conversation.  I wrote up a giant post about this but its already been said.  There's a double standard as to what constitutes foul play between the left and the right.  I've heard people on this very forum try to downplay, for example, violence against trans people by saying that it happens no less than average.  And then we've got people digging up every example of how neo-nazis have been punched openly but not killed, and law enforcement actually did something about it.  And its like... I would feel a little more receptive to this, if at least one person who had downplayed violence committed by hate groups in the past isn't one of the people who's defended neo-nazis in the present.  Not naming names but some of y'all aren't nearly as moderate as you claim to be and you should stop pretending so you can genuinely participate in the conversation and say what you mean.
Love, scriver~

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile

But you’re not making that point with the essential tone of “lol, troll, sarcasm, parrot”, however intellectual it makes you feel to hide your message in subtext.

Oregon Welles you are not.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Next time I'll make sure to mark everything with the International Sarcmark, just for your sake, hector.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 898 899 [900] 901 902 ... 3566