Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 871 872 [873] 874 875 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4197032 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Max, if I simply replace the word "Nazi" in your statement with (jew/black/latino/muslim/etc.), then your words would sound a hell of a lot like the very rhetoric the people you are suggesting punching espouse.  And that does NOT strengthen your position, at all.
I'unno, I'm seeing a distinct lack of genocide advocacy or support of individuals who base their personal identity on the pursuit of mass murder. Hard to really say that's not a pretty sizeable gap. The lack of murder or a desire for an end state that results in it is a fairly solid defining feature as rhetoric goes.

You'd probably have better luck equivocating calls for violent resistance against genocide cultists with calls for the active prosecution of violence and murder against minorities with more watered down sorts of white supremacy, really.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

Ok fine, I doubt it would be hard to get them to throw a punch, is it ok then?

We're not talking about [insert race or culture or religion here] folks, we're talking about dicks who think it's ok to declare that Hitler was actually a cool dude and that they want to be like him and do what he did.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But how can you really argue against such sensible views? Punching is just mindless violence

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/339003/president-obama-commemorates-senseless-holocaust-eliana-johnson

Nazism may have been an ideology to which the United States was — and to which the president is — implacably opposed, but it is hardly “senseless.” By the early 1930s, the Nazi party had hundreds of thousands of devoted members and repeatedly attracted a third of the votes in German elections; its political leaders campaigned on a platform comprising 25 non-senseless points, including the “unification of all Germans,” a demand for “land and territory for the sustenance of our people,” and an assertion that “no Jew can be a member of the race.” Suffice it to say, many sensible Germans were persuaded.

And how can you really argue against 60 million very sensible Germans? If Obama didn't like it, they must be doing something right.

* note the sneaky past-tense that USA was opposed to Nazism, and Obama is opposed to Nazism.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 02:23:42 am by Reelya »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile

People should probably clarify between "I'm willing to punch nazis and go to jail for it", "I want to punch nazis without consequence", and "I want to end up in a situations where I can punch nazis in self defence".

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Shooter or shooters opened fired with automatic rifles on festival visitors at The Strip in Las Vegas. At least 2 people were killed, 24 people are hospitalized with gunshot wounds, of whom 14 are in critical condition. Police neutralized one suspect.
It is possible there still are gunmen at large. Police advises people to not go to the southern part of The Strip.
Police are also investigating reported shootings in other parts of the city.

https://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/zeker-twee-doden-nadat-schutter-vuur-heeft-geopend-op-festivalbezoekers-in-las-vegas~a4519591/
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Max, if I simply replace the word "Nazi" in your statement with (jew/black/latino/muslim/etc.), then your words would sound a hell of a lot like the very rhetoric the people you are suggesting punching espouse.  And that does NOT strengthen your position, at all.

Let's see..

"No doubt, and as I said I'm fine with the possibility of telling a judge "well your honor, he insisted he was a nazi negro after I gave him lots of chances to clear it up as a misunderstanding"

...nope... doesn't work. Hate to tell you, but soap won't turn a black person white. Your argument is void.

Or to put it differently, being nazi is a choice. Being jewish / black or latino is not.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 02:46:59 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Death count in Las Vegas shooting up to 20, more than 100 people wounded. Police now assume it was a single gunman, firing into the crowd from the 31th floor of the Mandalay Bay Hotel.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile

I just saw one of the videos...godsdamn that guy burned a lot of ammo. This is going to be one for the record books.  :'( :'( :'(

Didn't that ISIS leader just recently make a reappearance? If we end up rebooting the war on terror, while simultaneously diving headfirst into the shitstorm that is North Korea, things could get really ugly...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 03:54:20 am by Folly »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just saw one of the videos...godsdamn that guy burned a lot of ammo. This is going to be one for the record books.  :'( :'( :'(

Didn't that ISIS leader just recently make a reappearance? If we end up rebooting the war on terror, while simultaneously diving headfirst into the shitstorm that is North Korea, things could get really ugly...
You can invade Venezuela while you're at it too.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile

The 20 dead 100 injured has been updated to 50 dead 200 injured, and those numbers are still rising.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

It's terrible. Sad for all those that lost loved ones.
Shooter has been identified as 64-year old Stephen Paddock, a resident of Las Vegas. Authorities assume that it was a 'lone wolf' attack, not linked to any militant organisation.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 05:52:27 am by martinuzz »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Welp, not the best stateside monday morning we've had in the last while. Damnit all.

... wish I knew why the hell the shooter and their housemate's names sound so familiar, though. Probably just the memory screwing up or someone local-ish with similar names, particularly since melbourne's a several hours drive off.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Fuck, that's harsh.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

There goes my day. Anybody needs me, I'll be over here curled up in the fetal position, drinking.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Numbers are 50+ dead and 400+ injured, and it was a country music festival. Also, the guy was shooting from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay hotel. Nobody has a motive yet, though seems unconnected to overseas groups and unknown if connected to domestic groups.

Trump is supposedly going to say something later this morning.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 08:31:28 am by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 871 872 [873] 874 875 ... 3566