Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 863 864 [865] 866 867 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4201940 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: GOP attempting ACA repeal again.
« Reply #12960 on: September 27, 2017, 10:35:06 am »

I guess the GOP Civil war has entered a new phase. Trump supported Moore, and the fact that the combined efforts of the wealthy establishment and Trump's personal popularity in Alabama was not nearly enough to stop Moore is a sign that there are more primaries to come.

No, it was the other way around, he was supporting Luther Strange, the establishment candidate. He only changed his support after Moore won. Trump is also apparently embarrassed and pissed about the Alabama election, for which he has nobody but himself to blame for the emotions.

Anyhow, now that the GOPs repeal attempt MK LMXVIIII has failed, time for a new thread title.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12961 on: September 27, 2017, 10:49:00 am »

Anyhow, now that the GOPs repeal attempt MK LMXVIIII has failed, time for a new thread title.

Keep the thread title, It'll probably become relevant again soon enough.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12962 on: September 27, 2017, 12:18:08 pm »

Keep the thread title, It'll probably become relevant again soon enough.
Given how dogmatically the GOP has been pursuing this, it ain't wrong to assume they'll keep on trying.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: ACA repeal fails, Sen. Bob Corker retiriing, Alabama embarrasses Trump
« Reply #12963 on: September 27, 2017, 12:30:00 pm »

'Course they won't stop, but they're three days away from the physical possibility of passing a repeal going back to about what it was under obama. Which is to say that specific avenue of GOP sabotage of american infrastructure will no longer be terribly relevant for at least a year or two.

Plenty other ways their persistent campaign to murder americans en masse by way of administrative malfeasance will remain relevant, of course, but at least a legislative means of attacking the ACA will be largely neutered for more than a couple months.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: ACA repeal fails, Sen. Bob Corker retireing, Alabama embarrasses Trump
« Reply #12965 on: September 27, 2017, 01:57:18 pm »

You're looking for this chart:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This chart is the communities with actual raised amounts of lead in the water, regardless of whether the provider was reported as violating the rules or not.  The chart you listed is everyone served by companies that violated the rules, regardless of whether anything bad happened or whether the rule they broke was health based in nature.

Still insane tho, I'm with you there.  Lotta people in the US have it as "common sense" that you don't drink tap water or use a filter.  Looks like they would be correct, at least if they have kids...
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: ACA repeal fails, Sen. Bob Corker retireing, Alabama embarrasses Trump
« Reply #12966 on: September 27, 2017, 02:12:22 pm »

I avoid drinking tap water.  Most places, its disgusting.

I work in an office on Indianapolis airport property.  Trump just landed here like 30 minutes ago.  His plane was parked on the other side of the fence from me.  Co-workers flocking to the fence to take pictures.  Secret service all over our building (snipers on the roof) telling everyone to get back inside.  Trump fans in the office are going nuts.  My boss said she almost cried out of patriotic pride.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12967 on: September 27, 2017, 02:16:36 pm »

I remember people doing that for Obama too. Seems silly to be so emotionally involved in any current administration that you involuntarily break into tears upon sight.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12968 on: September 27, 2017, 02:40:16 pm »

mfw American friend told me Americans are insane and I thought they were being facetious but actually they were unironically serious and they told me to go look up how many Americans are drinking lead water and I think they could potentially be onto something given the sheer scale of millions drinking lead water everyday like this is some Caligula-tier Roman plumbing and I'm pretty certain Dorf Fortress galena aqueducts are not a suitable model to base human infrastructure upon because it is proven that Dorfs are insane and they barely even drink water
Americans are insane for more reasons than that. Most Americans tend to think people in other countries are unambitious, but it might well be that they have the normal level of ambition and Americans regularly planning to financially, politically, or ideologically take over the world is the unusual thing. If nothing else, it helps me understand the perspective of the Chinese nationalist types who want to reconquista the "rest of China" and then keep the Koreans, Japanese, and Vietnamese as their eternal slave caste while colonizing Africa.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12969 on: September 27, 2017, 02:47:01 pm »

I feel like judging entire nationalities, ways of life, and systems of belief with sweeping generalization rooted in base stereotype is insane, but I guess that's just how it's done.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12970 on: September 27, 2017, 02:51:04 pm »

I'll just say that I am glad that I live in western Europe and not it the USA.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12971 on: September 27, 2017, 03:31:18 pm »

I avoid drinking tap water.  Most places, its disgusting.
I don't even question it at this point. For reasons neither I nor the multiple doctors I've talked to about it can figure out, several years back what appears to specifically be panhandle tap water started making me literally sick if I drink it consistently for a few weeks. Basically causes bits of my throat to swell up, causing what amounts to a nasty sore throat.

Short term or intermittent exposure (glass of water in a restaurant, someone else's house, drink from a water fountain, stuff you don't usually use as a primary source of drinking water) doesn't cause it, it's been consistently repeating in places dozens and hundreds of miles away from each other (which makes it being pipe conditions or something pretty unlikely), and literally nothing else I've caught in my life causes the specific reaction. All it takes to not happen is to not drink the tap water. All it takes to cause is to drink primarily tap for a few weeks straight. S'friggin' weird.

I've just shrugged and stopped drinking tap water. Takes months to match the cost of a doc trip, longer if there's any testing involved, basically just not worth the cost to nail down cause. Kinda' hate using bottled 'cause I regularly forget to recycle 'em, but it's cheap-ish, convenient, and doesn't make me sick, so... *shrugs*

Taste wise it's... usually tolerable, though, in my experience. Also fine for cooking. Not good water, per se, but there's worse things to use when it comes to H2O. most of the time it doesn't even have tiny stuff visibly moving under its own power floating around inside it
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12972 on: September 27, 2017, 03:32:49 pm »

I keep looking at how many deposits my tap water leaves after it dries and thinking it's a problem.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #12973 on: September 27, 2017, 04:19:47 pm »

Its horrible.  And I've always been suspicious of how many media figures (Penn & Teller come to mind) will make a big show of making fun of people who drink bottled water and try to create this cultural pressure to drink tap.

I sometimes seriously wonder how much of this country's craziness could be pinned on our water.  Not so much in recent years, though, because I got sick of how much it invites tin foil hat ridicule to say that.

Last I checked, Ice Mountain uses reverse osmosis filtering.  I bought a water cooler from them, like the type you see in offices, and get a few large jugs of water delivered a month.  That's what my family uses for drinking water.  I fill up a large water bottle and carry it around with me whenever I leave the house.  Been doing it for like 10 years, and would hate to ever go back.  When I try to drink tap now, its repulsive to me.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 04:25:05 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12974 on: September 27, 2017, 05:13:44 pm »

Its horrible.  And I've always been suspicious of how many media figures (Penn & Teller come to mind) will make a big show of making fun of people who drink bottled water and try to create this cultural pressure to drink tap.

Because bottled water is tap water, except it's been through a filtration process that varies from very good to little better than picking the bits out by hand. Tap water is awful. Bottled water is often scarcely better, except more expensive and filled with whatever leaches out of the plastic. If you want good water, filter it -- but sensibly, not just by buying a "reputable" filter and sucking down whatever comes out the outflow pipe.
Pages: 1 ... 863 864 [865] 866 867 ... 3566