Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 859 860 [861] 862 863 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4202473 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: GOP attempting ACA repeal again.
« Reply #12900 on: September 25, 2017, 06:23:38 pm »

I feel like it would have taken less time to stop, think, and create some kind of plan for replace. They've just straight wasted almost a year trying to kill it with no thought to what comes after (or at least no public plan, which is what's important).
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12901 on: September 25, 2017, 06:29:57 pm »

I feel like it would have taken less time to stop, think, and create some kind of plan for replace. They've just straight wasted almost a year trying to kill it with no thought to what comes after (or at least no public plan, which is what's important).

It's like Christmas decorations slowly creeping up: the thoughts towards next election have become so encompassing that they thought more about how posturing against Obummercare would look towards their constituents versus, ya know, actually performing the duties they were elected to perform.

Seriously, cyborg overlords when?
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12902 on: September 25, 2017, 07:06:10 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00wQYmvfhn4&t

You know I'm so damn sick of this country. Everything is so goddamn corrupt its going to take a century to fix all this shit.

and that's with the equivalent of Jesus, Teddy and Washington as president.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 07:11:40 pm by redwallzyl »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12903 on: September 25, 2017, 07:22:11 pm »

Likely, in the leadup to the launch of the nuclear dildo, show of force would be on the table-- which would include massing (and possibly arming with better systems) such vehicles within strike distance.

What escalation scenario are you imagining where we have time to fundamentally change the armaments of our fleets to accommodate direct-fire capabilities for which they were never designed?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12904 on: September 25, 2017, 07:28:51 pm »

News flash: Our battleships are held in reserve status so they may be re-activated as needed for direct fire and support missions.  They aren't sitting there being maintained purely for show, we've pulled them out of mothballs before and we are prepared to do so again.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12905 on: September 25, 2017, 07:33:15 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00wQYmvfhn4&t

You know I'm so damn sick of this country. Everything is so goddamn corrupt its going to take a century to fix all this shit.

and that's with the equivalent of Jesus, Teddy and Washington as president.

Ya'll Americans need Surak.

News flash: Our battleships are held in reserve status so they may be re-activated as needed for direct fire and support missions.  They aren't sitting there being maintained purely for show, we've pulled them out of mothballs before and we are prepared to do so again.

Did not know this and am interested in reading more. Link me, please?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 07:42:35 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12906 on: September 25, 2017, 07:37:55 pm »

Sorry, don't have a direct link, we pulled them during Vietnam and Desert Storm, and when they were 'retired' in the early 2000's they were put in standby, we didn't even remove their shells (mostly because the cost of removing the shells is greater than maintaining them in the magazine).  I learned about most of it from my uncle, who was a captain in the U.S. Navy up until just after Grenada.  And I've heard it confirmed from numerous sources.  I'll dig around and see if I can pull an actual link from the Navy.

Edit: And the very first hit when searching for "U.S. Navy battleship readiness" is a Wikipedia article citing a 2007 order requiring that the Iowa-class battleships be kept ready for deployment.

Additional edit: The article does point out that the ships were slated to be fully decommissioned, but due to the cancellation of the Zumwalt-class destroyers the Navy has not met requirements to permanently remove the ships from it's register.  And according to the above mentioned order have to keep the Iowa and Missouri in readiness for modernization and deployment.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 07:58:19 pm by NullForceOmega »

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12907 on: September 25, 2017, 07:59:38 pm »

Argh, I missed the good discussion.

Naval gunfire: No.

We do NOT have ANY naval assets capable of inland bombardment. Yes, the remaining Iowa-class battleships are "reserve status", but that means NOTHING. It's a formality, IF it's even still a thing. To put the, what, two remaining Iowas to sea would require YEARS of restoration, rebuilding, and rewiring. Not to mention that the last time we did it, we had to pull 60-year-old WWII vets back to train people on how to fire a 16 inch gun. Even without the issues of training people to use a freaky hybrid of WWII equipment and (somewhat) modern equipment, battleships take THOUSANDS of men to operate, men who are generally better put to use elsewhere. Unless we enter another LENGTHY conflict that requires the sort of massive artillery bombardment that can only be fulfilled by a battleship firing against enemies with no antiship missiles and no aircraft power to speak of, the Iowa-class battleships will never again be activated.

As for other ships, we MAYBE have a few 6-inch guns scattered around on the Zumwalts, and five-inchers (Which are effectively useless for naval bombardment, by the way) on a few other ships.

Basically, it's technically infeasible for a multitude of reasons to lay down a naval bombardment with regular guns. The only things we could use from the navy are aircraft (Totally different kettle of high-flying heavily-armed fish) and missiles, and missiles are for STRATEGIC (As opposed to tactical) targets only, since they have such a long time-to-target and are relatively expensive.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12908 on: September 25, 2017, 08:01:48 pm »

Actually, YES.  I just posted a link to the article discussing it.  It isn't a formality, and it wouldn't take years of anything, it is a LAW that they are kept in readiness for exactly the purpose of direct fire support.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12909 on: September 25, 2017, 08:03:35 pm »

Actually, YES.  I just posted a link to the article discussing it.  It isn't a formality, and it wouldn't take years of anything, it is a LAW that they are kept in readiness for exactly the purpose of direct fire support.

BUT THEN!!!

In response, the navy has pointed to the cost of reactivating the two Iowa-class battleships to their decommissioned capability. The navy estimates costs in excess of $500 million,[26][27] but this does not include an additional $110 million needed to replenish the gunpowder for the 16-inch (406 mm) guns because a survey found the powder to be unsafe. In terms of schedule, the Navy's program management office estimates that reactivation would take 20 to 40 months, given the loss of corporate memory and the shipyard industrial base.[2]

I mean this is an interesting discussion, but we don't need those ships to ruin N. Korea's butthole sans-nukes. I think we have plenty of other options.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12910 on: September 25, 2017, 08:05:10 pm »

We do, in fact, the U.S. Navy isn't feared for nothing, regardless of direct fire support capability we can deliver a truly unreal amount of ordnance to just about any target on Earth.

Edit: Missed the 20 to 40 months part on my first read, but it is worth noting that the cost for modernization of those vessels is a tenth of what one Zumwalt was costing us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12911 on: September 25, 2017, 08:10:54 pm »

If by almost a year you mean nearly a decade, that is. You'd think it'd take less time to stop, but apparently during the entire period between the ACA being even a suggestion and now the GOP's policy wonks shoved their heads so far up their own arses they did that thing where they fold up into themselves and disappear with a pop.

I can only assume the republican party subsequently thinks it would take a few centuries to come up with a plan to replace, and so fighting to put tens of thousands of americans in the grave is a larger priority/more achievable goal.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12912 on: September 25, 2017, 08:13:11 pm »

Read that article again, would you? That's an article about the gun-power debate, not an act of Congress.

And yes, cool, the ships are being "maintained", which means the shells (probably) aren't going to deteriorate and explode in the bunkers and the ships are not rusting to pieces as they sit there.

They do NOT, however have trained crews, and do NOT have modernized equipment, both of which are generally regarded as an absolute NECESSITY for combat deployment.

You don't seem to understand what goes into activating such a ship. It can't be done in the time it would take to take out NK.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12913 on: September 25, 2017, 08:29:33 pm »

Yes, I did read it.  It clearly references a 2007 ACT OF CONGRESS, which in layman's terms is a "law" that requires those ships to be kept in a ready state, and why they are being maintained.

I have full understanding on how ship crews are trained and what modernization entails.

That out of the way, it seems like you've got an axe to grind on this subject, and I'm not going to be your target, have a nice evening.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12914 on: September 25, 2017, 08:39:33 pm »

I do not have an axe to grind, my issue is that you do not have a logical basis for your argument.

You're insisting that it could be done in fewer than a couple years. This is not fact, I've presented some (Admittedly without numbers, but if you REALLY want I'll go dredge up some numbers from WWII or even Vietnam/the Gulf War for crew training and modernization) facts that have bearing on it.

Those ships aren't getting combat-deployed without a full overhaul to ensure that the ships are seaworthy and functional on a basic level, and they're not getting deployed with unmodernized equipment such as they have.

They also aren't getting deployed without crew, and training several thousand men for positions that haven't truly existed in navies for sixty years is no mean feat.

Yes, we've reactivated battleships a couple of times, but they've not been a large-scale part of the Navy for decades.
Pages: 1 ... 859 860 [861] 862 863 ... 3566