Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 832 833 [834] 835 836 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4208944 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Debt ceiling and Gov. Funding punted to mid-December!
« Reply #12495 on: September 16, 2017, 06:37:42 am »

It isn't legal for 'em to call for that. Second Nexus did a piece on that as Huckabee Sanders said she should be fired, then walked it back when she was called out on it, and a Democratic PAC has filed a complaint to the ethics committee as a result.

Government isn't allowed to interfere in a private entities hiring practices based on political leanings.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12496 on: September 16, 2017, 07:22:26 am »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jul/11/redneck-revolt-guns-anti-racism-fascism-far-left

One grabbed a piece of cardboard and wrote in big letters: “TRUMP’S A BITCH.”

Max Neely quickly stepped in.

“I’m not sure you should use that word,” he said, his voice taking on a fatherly tone. At 6ft2in, he towered over them. “That word isn’t very respectful to women, and there are a lot of women around here today that we should be respecting. Maybe you can think of another word to use.”

The boys conferred. Eventually, they settled on a different, less offensive protest sign – at least in Neely’s eyes. “FUCK TRUMP,” it read, followed by four exclamation points.

"Fuck" Trump? But Trump doesn't want to be fucked and you're going to "fuck" him? What's it called when you call for someone to be fucked who doesn't want to be fucked? That's promoting rape. It's a reference to sexual assault and is triggering me. There should be content warnings on protest signs.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 07:24:08 am by Reelya »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 07:33:09 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12498 on: September 16, 2017, 03:27:24 pm »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jul/11/redneck-revolt-guns-anti-racism-fascism-far-left

One grabbed a piece of cardboard and wrote in big letters: “TRUMP’S A BITCH.”

Max Neely quickly stepped in.

“I’m not sure you should use that word,” he said, his voice taking on a fatherly tone. At 6ft2in, he towered over them. “That word isn’t very respectful to women, and there are a lot of women around here today that we should be respecting. Maybe you can think of another word to use.”

The boys conferred. Eventually, they settled on a different, less offensive protest sign – at least in Neely’s eyes. “FUCK TRUMP,” it read, followed by four exclamation points.

"Fuck" Trump? But Trump doesn't want to be fucked and you're going to "fuck" him? What's it called when you call for someone to be fucked who doesn't want to be fucked? That's promoting rape. It's a reference to sexual assault and is triggering me. There should be content warnings on protest signs.

I find this bit far more amusing.

Neely wanted to keep them away from the cookout. On another day, in a different setting, some of his associates might have come ready for a fight. But today was meant to be family-friendly, and many of the picnic attendees were young black activists from a local high school. They could handle themselves, Neely knew, but the task of arguing for the legitimacy of your existence against those who deny your humanity is an arduous one.

So while his Redneck Revolt friends kept a careful watch from across the street, Neely let the Identity Evropa members talk more about their ideology – about how the US was a nation meant for white people, how white culture was under attack. Neely debated them as politely as he could, hoping his quiet listening could diffuse the situation. They thanked him for being so calm and civil.

“It’s easy to be calm when you’re a white man,” said Neely. “It’s easy when it’s not your life or your family’s lives at stake.”

They could not see the back of his shirt, which depicted a hooded figure dangling from a tree, and the words HANG YOUR LOCAL KLANSMAN.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #12499 on: September 16, 2017, 03:58:29 pm »

When you're so alt-right you feel the need to invent alt-definitions so you can attack people who dislike fascists.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12500 on: September 16, 2017, 04:10:16 pm »

When you're so alt-right you feel the need to invent alt-definitions so you can attack people who dislike fascists.
When you're so deeply dug into your trench that you can't look over the lip to see the LOOMING SARCASM BUS coming right at you. Beep beep.

More on topic, I'm frankly I'm glad to see any event whatsoever with a peaceful aim.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #12501 on: September 16, 2017, 06:55:49 pm »

Reelya, didn't we already have this exact same conversation?.  A close friend of mine actually has PTSD that can be triggered by references to rape.  You seem to throw out the word triggered and then decide afterwards whether you're using it as a meme or in its original serious meaning (which you clearly know).
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #12502 on: September 16, 2017, 06:58:20 pm »

So I'm confused. Very confused.

Spoiler: Someone help me out. (click to show/hide)

Am I having a stroke or something? Or is it reality (and the media) that is confused, not just me?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12503 on: September 16, 2017, 06:59:38 pm »

Am I having a stroke or something? Or is it reality (and the media) that is confused, not just me?
Rule 1 of Trump, never listen to anything Trump says.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12504 on: September 16, 2017, 07:03:16 pm »

Art of the Deal, baby!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12505 on: September 16, 2017, 07:37:49 pm »

The adminstration does seem to be having some odd feelings of buyers remorse in a sense recently as far as climate change. Or maybe it's just Trump being mercurial.

Also, Trump is going to be giving his first UN General Assembly address on Tuesday, and nobody really knows what he might say, other than hug allies and slap enemies according to Ambassador Nikki Haley.

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12506 on: September 16, 2017, 08:57:03 pm »

If he doesn't know what he's doing there's no way his enemies even hope to!
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12507 on: September 16, 2017, 09:20:10 pm »

I mean, it's a bunch of bullshit to think it had anything to do with Harvey because it requires you to ignore that reducing the temperature differential between the poles and the equator is necessarily going to reduce the effectiveness of a gigantic Carnot engine which runs off of that very same temperature differential.

It also requires ignoring that every single source which in any way resembles an expert on the subject says that there would be little or no effect from raising temperatures, and if anything could be used for scaremongering it would be that "while frequency would most likely be reduced INTENSITY COULD INCREASE, FUCK, PANIC TIME BITCHES!" but I suppose "maybe things aren't as bad as you've been told to expect" isn't the best way to get more click-through revenue?

Either way it was pretty goddamn embarrassing, like pulling out while wearing a condom after having a vasectomy, you're not actually changing anything, you just get to demonstrate that you don't really "get" the point of what you're doing.

In other news: this is well worth a read because ha ha ha fuck that guy, seriously.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12508 on: September 17, 2017, 04:34:21 am »

Reelya, didn't we already have this exact same conversation?.  A close friend of mine actually has PTSD that can be triggered by references to rape.  You seem to throw out the word triggered and then decide afterwards whether you're using it as a meme or in its original serious meaning (which you clearly know).

We did, but if you look at the arguments from people who support content warnings, they actually object to the idea that it's about protecting individuals, it's about protecting "groups", and only the pre-defined 6-7 "oppressed groups" that they approve of using the content warnings for. That's coming from one of the main proponents of them as NYU, virtually literally what they said. So they're already being used in a way and promoted that's more about suppressing ideas that go against an ideology rather than about protecting people who have PTSD. The raw video is here:

https:/www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTU3hxgr2Kc

The woman actually strongly objected to the idea of defining the need for content warnings based on an individual actual needs case-by-case basis. e.g. it was brought up about stuff like car accidents or robberies and that survivors could have PTSD, and it might be appropriate to put academic content warnings on discussions of e.g. car accident fatalities for this reason. The pro-trigger warning person got really offended and said the "other side" is "co-opting" the idea of trigger warnings which are only "meant" to be "for" the "oppressed groups". However, the "other side" here is 100% composed of liberal leftwing college professors who merely wanted to extend the concept of trigger warnings in a self-consistent way that protects all students based on individual need. Since they didn't do it right, they are labeled the "them" in the "us vs them" system.

It's an issue of semantics here. "trigger warning" in the current campus usage is not used to mean "protect people with PTSD", it's used to supress opinions related to a pre-selected ideological stance based on privilege theory. e.g. if a straight white  male has PTSD and asks for a trigger warning for imagery that could harm them, well you've been told that that's not appropriate to ask for because content warnings are for the "oppressed groups" to combat "systemic bias", and do you see your group on the list? I sure don't. Protecting the rights of that specific individual would be co-opting the system.

This is what academics such as Jonothan Haidt, who comes from a liberal left background are saying is going on. The wording "trigger warning" or "safe space" are not used the way you think they are used. e.g. if a teacher teachs the actual science about gender differences, you can get a student complaint. Because you failed to provide a "safe space" where people who have the ideological viewpoint of "no gender differences" can feel free from having to confront the scientific evidence which might challenge their belief system. The "trigger" here is that their ideas were challenged by acknowleding the existence of alternative ideas. It's not about individuals at all, it's about pushing a specific post-modern/post-structuralist ideology into other fields by using punitive mechanisms to punish lecturers who step event 1 inch outside the orthodox ideology. I couldn't give a fuck about milo or ann coulter not being able to talk on campus, that's only the view point from the right that makes that the big deal. the real insidious big deal is that otherwise left-wing and liberal college professors are now self-censoring actual course content just in case it freaks out some nutjob postmodernist victimhood culture ideologue that's sitting in the class. And by that, you create a generation of liberals less capable of actually debating reality and coming up with viable solutions. It turns into an echo-chamber controlled by only the loudest and most obnoxious 19 year old "radicals".

Also, alway, there's no fucking way I'm even a little bit "alt-right". The "with us or against us" tendency you're displaying is actually a bit scary. How ... is labeling every person who's skeptical of your minority ideology an "alt-right" any different at all than the traditional thing of calling anyone who questions American greatness a "communist". Saying anyone who question safe-spaces or trigger warnings is against suffering people with PTSD is effectively an argument on the level of labeling dissidents as "against freedom" or pulling out a "think of the children" argument.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 06:12:35 am by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12509 on: September 17, 2017, 06:01:07 am »

Strictly speaking, what happened earlier was a declaration of intent to withdraw (and a refusal to ratify or something along those lines) not an actual withdrawal (which kinda' can't happen until 2019-ish anyway). For whatever reason (distraction from the last huzzah attempt to fuck the ACA and our entire goddamn country assuming it's not just, y'know, the president being his normal incompetent and/or insane and/or senile self?) the white house has decided to use that to throw out even less clear signals on the subject than they usually do on stuff. If you're seeing contradictory messages or whatev' it's because, yet again, this admin is producing contradictory messages. Intentionally, by dint of sheer incompetence or some form of cognitive degeneration, who the hell knows.

Basically, reality isn't being confused, you're not having a stroke, and this is just example the Nth of this administration being a piece of shit. Media doesn't quite seem to know how to react, though, that's fairly true. Hard to exactly blame them much considering they're dealing with some wildly inconsistent fuckers so far as WH and its repeatedly shat upon public statements go.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 832 833 [834] 835 836 ... 3566