Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 830 831 [832] 833 834 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4210166 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Debt ceiling and Gov. Funding punted to mid-December!
« Reply #12465 on: September 14, 2017, 11:45:37 am »

I find it ironic that Republicans/Trump don't want to do anything about immigration reform, even just DACA, without a border wall or "border security," when the former would do a lot more to curb undocumented immigration than the latter would.

Like, that's blatantly obvious that it would to everyone, right? This shouldn't be an controversial statement.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12466 on: September 14, 2017, 11:50:48 am »

Like, that's blatantly obvious that it would to everyone, right? This shouldn't be an controversial statement.

I believe you would find liberals believe the world to be underdeveloped, while conservatives view it as overpopulated.

So yes, your innocuous statement could start a drunken fistfight in the right circumstances.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12467 on: September 14, 2017, 12:01:44 pm »

Gods, if basic sanity wasn't being fornicated into controversial statements the national discourse regarding immigration would be massively different.

Any case, the GOP don't really give a fuck about undocumented immigration, per se. It's not particularly about lowering the amounts (especially if it increased the number of documented immigrants, since those are near as much -- if not more -- of a target as undocumented ones) or actually improving border security or whatever the hell. Just about using it as a stalking horse to rile up their base.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 12:03:22 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12468 on: September 14, 2017, 12:26:19 pm »

Beefing up border security is an ideal policy for them. It's dramatic and rabble-rousing but it has every little effect on the actual problem, so no matter what the state of border security they can just continue to amp it up year after year.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12469 on: September 14, 2017, 12:29:38 pm »

Any case, the GOP don't really give a fuck about undocumented immigration, per se. It's not particularly about lowering the amounts (especially if it increased the number of documented immigrants, since those are near as much -- if not more -- of a target as undocumented ones) or actually improving border security or whatever the hell. Just about using it as a stalking horse to rile up their base.

It doesn't help that border security and undocumented immigration are conflated way more than they should be, given how many people just overstay their visas. There is a substantive debate to be had about the effect of more physical security at the border on international crime (particularly smuggling) and risks to national security and which expenditures there are the most efficient way to combat both. Unfortunately, both of those entirely valid concerns get subverted into dog whistles by and for the kind of people who openly salivate over the idea of being able to legally shoot brown people, so it's a hard debate to have -- and they use the words "illegal immigration" so much that people forget that many people in the country illegally were either trafficked here unwillingly or entered legally and overstayed their visas. Turning the Mexican border into the Ligne Maginot won't deter either, but neither will sorely needed reforms to our immigration policy stem the flow of drugs and slaves.

It's two separate problems, but people love to treat them as the same thing.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 12:32:52 pm by Trekkin »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12470 on: September 14, 2017, 09:01:39 pm »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #12471 on: September 15, 2017, 02:40:41 pm »

First Amendment and Boobs.

Clay Travis is my new hero.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 03:15:45 pm by Folly »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12472 on: September 15, 2017, 03:36:17 pm »

That was weird to watch...  I'm honestly surprised it was apparently such a big deal.  I wish they'd focused on what he was saying instead of making funny faces and dismissing him.  But I guess I don't watch enough broadcast TV news to know the "decency" standards.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #12473 on: September 15, 2017, 03:53:22 pm »

Brooke was downright adorkable as she had to spell 'B double-O B S', like it was a naughty word.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12474 on: September 15, 2017, 04:36:12 pm »

That's a great laugh.

That was weird to watch...  I'm honestly surprised it was apparently such a big deal.  I wish they'd focused on what he was saying instead of making funny faces and dismissing him.  But I guess I don't watch enough broadcast TV news to know the "decency" standards.

No, I'd agree that the nice thing (for the host) to do here would be to overlook it, but Clay definitely should not have included it in the first place. It's a nom sequitur, all it did was dilute and divert from the argument. This is what happens when you dont keep an argument on point.

I also don't think the host was spelling it out because because it was an "indecent" word but she wanted clarifications if he said boobs books or booze.
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12475 on: September 15, 2017, 04:57:50 pm »

It was a really dumb comment on the part of the commentator anyway. Not surprised Brooke (a woman) decided not to put up with it.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12476 on: September 15, 2017, 05:09:05 pm »

As someone who also can not be trusted with a microphone: I applaud his proud dumbfuckery.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12477 on: September 15, 2017, 05:14:22 pm »

Man tries to prove how manly he his by saying he loves tits on one of the biggest news channel around.

We'll have more at 11.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #12478 on: September 15, 2017, 05:26:56 pm »

First Amendment and Boobs.

Clay Travis is my new hero.
Okay, I'll bite.  What does this have to do with the first amendment?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12479 on: September 15, 2017, 05:28:37 pm »

Because there are only two things he has absolute faith in...
Pages: 1 ... 830 831 [832] 833 834 ... 3566