Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 821 822 [823] 824 825 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4210851 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Debt ceiling and Gov. Funding punted to mid-December!
« Reply #12330 on: September 10, 2017, 01:41:47 am »

I'm going to second the interpretation that the comparison is to the lower level resentment of jews as some kind of conspiratorial thing that is much more common, not the holocaust.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12331 on: September 10, 2017, 02:03:17 am »

Shoot. Everyone knows the jews control the diamond district in New York, not Hollywood. Honestly. (If you are gonna do conspiracy crap, at least make it something with some plausible basis.)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12332 on: September 10, 2017, 08:51:54 am »

Diamonds? Don't they come from Antwerp?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12333 on: September 10, 2017, 09:07:56 am »

meme economy looks bright tonight

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12334 on: September 10, 2017, 09:36:49 am »

Jewish and anti-semetic and Israeli. Yep, this man is soon to become a fountain of memes, for sure. He's the perfect storm of traits to trigger basically everyone.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12335 on: September 10, 2017, 10:05:50 am »

They're right about Soros. Did you know he destroyed the British Pound and overthrew governments in his insane lust for power?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12336 on: September 10, 2017, 11:15:29 am »

They're right about Soros. Did you know he destroyed the British Pound and overthrew governments in his insane lust for power?

Poe's law in action, I can't QUITE tell if you're sarcastic or not.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12337 on: September 10, 2017, 11:20:08 am »

That's just so freaking ironic with Netanyhu's son, what with being a Jew and Israeli.

Not too much going on in politics atm, unless you want to listen to Clinton ranting.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12338 on: September 10, 2017, 12:37:19 pm »

It's legit fam, well kinda
Forbes took a deep dive into that trade in the November 9, 1992 issue, illuminating how Soros made $1.5 billion in just a single month by betting the British pound and several other European currencies were priced too richly against the German deutsche mark.
The entire group cashed in big-time. Jones' funds made $250 million, while Kovner's Caxton Corp. rang the register to the tune of $300 million, but no one made more than Soros, who cleared $1.5 billion in that fateful month of September. (The score made Soros' legend and swelled his firm's coffers; assets under management jumped to $7 billion, from $3.3 billion, by mid-October 1992, and to $11 billion by the end of 1993.)
https://www.forbes.com/sites/steveschaefer/2015/07/07/forbes-flashback-george-soros-british-pound-euro-ecb/#71ac91376131

That's just so freaking ironic with Netanyhu's son, what with being a Jew and Israeli.
Not too much going on in politics atm, unless you want to listen to Clinton ranting.
I just don't know how to react to the son of the Israeli President being a /pol/lack. It's an emotional vortex

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12339 on: September 10, 2017, 01:09:53 pm »

I mean that's a fair criticism, and "SJWO" would probably be a good substitute, tho perhaps not immediately obvious in meaning.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12340 on: September 10, 2017, 01:23:56 pm »

The thing with Soros and the British Pound was the way he "broke" it, and how little sense it actually makes.

Short selling is a trick where you promise to sell something at a future date that you don't have yet, but you are betting it's going to be worth less than you're selling it for at the time the deal is due. So none of his trades actually happened until after the price drop.

e.g. he just guessed correctly that the price would fall by a certain date, and he made trades with other traders to sell them pounds on that date, but above the then-current market price. When the trades came due, he bought pounds, which pushes the price up, not down, then he sold them to the people he had the trade deals with. The people who he had the trade deal with would have been best off holding onto the pounds until the price improved by itself, so they would most likely not have sold off the pounds straight away, so ... Soros' actions actually propped up the price of the pound, they didn't cause the crash.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 01:28:44 pm by Reelya »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12341 on: September 10, 2017, 01:27:08 pm »

If it so plainly didn't make sense, why did business-savvy people buy into it? (No pun intended.) I don't know the details, but I'd wager a beer you're missing something. Care to bet?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12342 on: September 10, 2017, 01:30:03 pm »

What I mean doesn't make sense is the scapegoating, e.g. labeling him as the cause of the crisis. He wasn't involved in any currency trades until after the crash. That's the whole point of what "short selling" is. It's an agreement to do a trade at some future point in time, when you haven't bought the thing you're selling yet. All his trades happened after the crash.

It's actually well known who's fault that was - the British government. They were artificially propping up the price of the Pound against the Deustchmark by buying up pounds themselves. e.g. the British government was manipulating the price of their own currency. Soros wasn't involved in any of that.

Where Soros came in, was he realized what they were doing and worked out that they were going to run out of foreign currency reserves and they'd have to stop propping up the price, at which point there would be a huge price crash. So he bought them when they were cheap and onsold them for more.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 01:46:20 pm by Reelya »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12343 on: September 10, 2017, 01:45:27 pm »

Crap, sorry, I kinda assumed an anti-Soros position on your part by past experience... Plus I'm tired, my flight's delayed, I probably shouldn't be posting at all. My bad, one shouldn't let stereotypes get in the way of actually taking up what people say.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12344 on: September 10, 2017, 03:10:18 pm »

It's legit fam, well kinda
Forbes took a deep dive into that trade in the November 9, 1992 issue, illuminating how Soros made $1.5 billion in just a single month by betting the British pound and several other European currencies were priced too richly against the German deutsche mark.
The entire group cashed in big-time. Jones' funds made $250 million, while Kovner's Caxton Corp. rang the register to the tune of $300 million, but no one made more than Soros, who cleared $1.5 billion in that fateful month of September. (The score made Soros' legend and swelled his firm's coffers; assets under management jumped to $7 billion, from $3.3 billion, by mid-October 1992, and to $11 billion by the end of 1993.)
https://www.forbes.com/sites/steveschaefer/2015/07/07/forbes-flashback-george-soros-british-pound-euro-ecb/#71ac91376131

I just don't know how to react to the son of the Israeli President being a /pol/lack. It's an emotional vortex

Well, I know people who'd take that kind of position hence why I wasn't sur if Reelya was sarcastic (turn out he was).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 821 822 [823] 824 825 ... 3566