Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 809 810 [811] 812 813 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4211773 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Back to work Congress! debt ceiling incoming, financial stuff, etc.
« Reply #12150 on: September 06, 2017, 10:11:33 am »

Hillary wouldn't have done a good job. She would have been Obama light, but more abrasive, able to get even less done and in the end keeping us on the same path where we're slowly poisoned to death without realizing it.

Trump at least introduces a foul smell to the room that makes us realize "Hey, something's not right here."

I really doubt Bernie would have pulled off what he wanted. Congress just isn't in the mood to play ball on wild ideas(Or often any ideas) but he at least seemed to mean well, which is more than I can say for the other two candidates who just wanted bragging rights and power.
That's like convincing your roommate to clean the dishes by cutting the gaslines inside the house.

The problem is, Hillary would have meant a slow death for America. Trump on the other hand, could possibly represent a quick death for the species. He's arrogant and impulsive, and sitting on a Nuclear stockpile where the only thing keeping him from using it is MAD - which depends on him not being Impulsive, and is damaged by him being arrogant.

It's not a guarantee, no, but it's possible. Trump's been doing crazier and crazier shit since his campaign started, and eventually the only step up will be to nuke someone, and we don't know if he will or not.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Back to work Congress! debt ceiling incoming, financial stuff, etc.
« Reply #12151 on: September 06, 2017, 10:14:36 am »

I'm starting to get what Helgo's saying. It's funny how you're lambasting hillary for being abrasive and not get things done, when you're okay for Sanders to get nothing done, because he feels like a nice guy.

If someone were getting all of their politics information from this thread, I would be entirely unsurprised if they thought Clinton was actually a soulless automaton with a soulless-automaton-like desire to somehow corporatise everything while simultaneously changing nothing.

We're kind of like the Clinton campaign in that regard. The more nuanced parts of her messaging -- not that her wonkish distaste for committing to policy allowed her many -- were entirely drowned out in critical segments of the population by a constant vitriolic refrain of "only a bigot wouldn't give her the Presidency to which she is clearly entitled".

Trump is just as ideologically rudderless, but he is at least so stupid and so obviously fickle that it was easy for wishful thinking to creep into people's predictions about who would end up being the real president while he golfed. They were all wrong, and many of us saw that clearly, but that doesn't mean there wasn't some logic in it. That matters for fixing this.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12152 on: September 06, 2017, 10:20:24 am »

We're kind of like the Clinton campaign in that regard. The more nuanced parts of her messaging -- not that her wonkish distaste for committing to policy allowed her many -- were entirely drowned out in critical segments of the population by a constant vitriolic refrain of "only a bigot wouldn't give her the Presidency to which she is clearly entitled".
You heard that? 'Cause I didn't. Maybe it's like like those mysterious radfems that only exist on tumblr, college campuses, and the fever dreams of culture warriors...

Well, it could be worse. Probably. I'm sure there's some scenario in which the real possibility of nuclear warfare is a good tradeoff for being annoyed at a politician's base.
By the way, how come the 'Sanders is the only hope' voices apparently didn't bother you all that much?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12153 on: September 06, 2017, 10:22:25 am »

It's not a guarantee, no, but it's possible. Trump's been doing crazier and crazier shit since his campaign started, and eventually the only step up will be to nuke someone, and we don't know if he will or not.
My biggest fear is that Trump makes a 180 on climate change, and believes nuclear winter will halt global warming.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12154 on: September 06, 2017, 10:35:05 am »

My biggest fear is that Trump makes a 180 on climate change, and believes nuclear winter will halt global warming.
I've been saying for a couple of days that I could envision a scenario where NK fires a nuke, it goes hilariously off course and detonates in the eye of Hurricane Irma, saving the United States. A shocked Kim Jong Un wins the Congressional Freedom Medal, and everyone looks at each other going, "Sooooo....what now?"

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12155 on: September 06, 2017, 10:38:33 am »

Has anybody ever run simulations on whether a nuke would actually stop a hurricane? Let alone one as big as Irma?

Seems more likely you'd just end up with a radioactive hurricane.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12156 on: September 06, 2017, 10:40:32 am »

I think there was some research in the fifties, back when they were looking for civilian applications for nuclear bombs. Don't know how far they got with the concept though.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12157 on: September 06, 2017, 10:41:04 am »

Has anybody ever run simulations on whether a nuke would actually stop a hurricane? Let alone one as big as Irma?

Because this is Murrica, the NOAA actually has a page on this.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12158 on: September 06, 2017, 10:44:49 am »

You would not end up with a radioactive hurricane, if it failed, but you would irradiate much of the Atlantic (Depending on the bomb you used) and poisoned or killed hundreds of thousands, and more probably millions, due to the irradiated fish they'd be eating.

Please no civilian nukes.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12159 on: September 06, 2017, 10:49:19 am »

Trump on Irma: "It looks like it could be something that will be not good, believe me, not good."  http://snpy.tv/2wGBiMT
 ::)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12160 on: September 06, 2017, 10:52:39 am »

Nice understatement Mr. Trump.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #12161 on: September 06, 2017, 10:58:50 am »

For those of you scared of Trump (or alternately, are convinced that George Bush Junior was worse), let me offer something that really should trouble you: putting Trump on the timeline of the Bush presidency, we are not yet at 9/11. Trump has a lot of time left...
That's like convincing your roommate to clean the dishes by cutting the gaslines inside the house.
That sounds almost like something my mother would do. In fact she has done stuff like that, but with electricity instead of gas. If I haven't mentioned, I have a wonderful family.

You heard that? 'Cause I didn't. Maybe it's like like those mysterious radfems that only exist on tumblr, college campuses, and the fever dreams of culture warriors...
My sense was that actually no one ever said this, but a lot of people seemed to think it was being implied. Same, I think, with how a lot of those same people describe the media as condescending and elitist. whether there is any truth in that is, well, a debate in itself.

Personally, I think that in practice electing a man with an extremely sketchy relationship to women and a history of using his power and influence to grope people is already pretty suspect by itself. I mean forget about Hillary Clinton here, we elected the equivalent of a pervert boss who gropes his secretaries. Trump probably doesn't do that anymore (I mean he is seventy years old), but he sure was doing that pretty damn recently. The charitable answer (which I'm sure is true for some people) is that they thought his moral faults were worth his legislative, executive, or deal-making abilities (in which case damn, this has been a very disappointing year for you, hasn't it?). The less charitable answer is it simply didn't matter to them or was a positive.
Trump on Irma: "It looks like it could be something that will be not good, believe me, not good."  http://snpy.tv/2wGBiMT
 ::)
FEMA's got its work cut out for it, really.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12162 on: September 06, 2017, 11:04:17 am »

WHY OH WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP THINKING FEMA DOES ANYTHING BUT FUCK UP EMERGENCY SITUATIONS!?!?!

Haysville tornado?  "Hey, Let's harrass people trying to clean up the debris of the disaster, while totally ignoring the looters that we have had pointed out to us numerous times!!" (First hand experience-- I was there!)

Hurricane Katrina?  "Hey, let's not only refuse to help people evacuate, let's ALSO give them disease infected shit, AND trailers loaded with formaldehyde!"

Seriously, their track record on this is fucking shit--- why do people think they are good guys!?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12163 on: September 06, 2017, 11:10:50 am »

Clinton's entitlement wasn't in the form of "give it to me because I'm a woman", it was "I don't have to work for the Presidency because I'm Hillary Rodham Clinton do you know who you're talking to here". She earned her underperformance with women, minorities, blue collars, and leftists. Nobody gets to put that on the public, it was her responsibility to run an inclusive campaign and she totally fucked it. Frankly, she's just not good at politics. She's a god at schmoozing and networking, and passable at office holding, but campaigning?

No, Trump was better than her at campaigning by a mile.

That she's trying to stick her shit performance in what should have been a gimme election on Bernie only further proves this sense of entitlement to victory. What's the matter? Killer Hill Dawg can't adapt to an open field? Tough. It's an election, you adapt or you fail, same as with the Presidency. Trump is finding that out for himself, now that he's out of his element.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12164 on: September 06, 2017, 11:16:41 am »

Trump did make a point about Clinton being unable to draw crowds on her own merits and had to use loads of celebrities to get crowds resembling that of either Trump or Sanders.
Pages: 1 ... 809 810 [811] 812 813 ... 3566