Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 799 800 [801] 802 803 ... 3563

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4159841 times)

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: D. C. on summer break
« Reply #12000 on: August 30, 2017, 02:52:16 pm »

What should be expected, wasn't it the illegality of the of the thing that was driving up prices in the first place, what would having a high demand but a low supply?(at least to the consumer?)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12001 on: August 30, 2017, 02:53:45 pm »

Meanwhile, legalisation is really starting to affect marijuana prices in the US. Where in september 2015 growers would still get 4740 dollars on average per kilo of weed, last july prices had dropped to 3587 dollars.

The total value of legally sold weed in the US has reached 6 billion this year.

I wonder how much that has affected prices of illegal drugs in the areas where weed is legal?
That would be an interesting study, yes. I'd expect those to go up, the street dealers have to compensate their lost income somewhere.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12002 on: August 30, 2017, 03:24:53 pm »

Weed prices in the illicit market have not fluctuated greatly, IMO. But it depends on where you live. Goes for a premium in cities, in smaller towns the price is more fixed.

And generally.....what I know weed costs hasn't changed with the introduction of legal weed markets. Mostly because the legal sellers can charge whatever the fuck they want, and anyone used to getting it at a cheaper price isn't suddenly going to pay 70% more for the same thing simply because it's legal.

So I don't think much has actually changed on that front. White markets have not put the black markets out of business because they're two entirely different supply chains with mixed but different customers used to different things.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12003 on: August 30, 2017, 03:27:44 pm »

I meant the other illegal drugs.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12004 on: August 30, 2017, 03:31:59 pm »

Eh, give it time to saturate, maybe. As you say nenj, different supply chains et al, but given enough time for the ease of one to push the other aside...

That would be an interesting study, yes. I'd expect those to go up, the street dealers have to compensate their lost income somewhere.
Be sorta' interesting to find out if that's even possible, tbh, though. In a scenario where it actually is undercutting the ground level price. Weed tends to be one of the major-ish substances income wise, far as I'm aware. I wouldn't be entirely surprised to find out trying to avoid losses to legal production (assuming it was driving down prices) by upping the price on other stuff would start pricing people out of the market, such as it is, to the extent that's possible when dealing with addictive substances.

... 'course, if it does have that kind of knock-on effect, and it hits the illicit market harder than just the loss of the marijuana income itself, well. Mission accomplished? Kinda' one of the reasons you legalize, to kneecap street distribution on more levels than jut the weed.

E: Though in other news, the FCC's apparently voting on whether or not it fucks the internet, sometime today or tomorrow? Be impressive if they don't, considering the current head's less a person and more a sock puppet worn over the industry's dick.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 03:41:40 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12005 on: August 30, 2017, 04:52:26 pm »

What's the price of illegal weed in the States? Seeing the price quoted by Martinuzz, those would be well below market price for illegal weed (usually ~7 euros/gram) here.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12006 on: August 30, 2017, 05:33:30 pm »

For my area, $10/g is the upper end. $5 to $7 is the low end. And it's been that way for.....probably 15 years now. Various other factors might contribute to the price I see but it hasn't really changed. But a phrase I do not hear is "I've had to raise/lower my prices because everyone is driving over to a weed legal state to buy it." And I'm like the heart of America yo, the center of interstate traffic across the US.

And talking to people in the weed legal states the story is more or less the same. They don't have to deal with the hassle of travel and possible arrest for transporting, and still, they prefer to deal in their original markets. They feel legal weed is overpriced at a minimum, overdressed at worst. So the individual market persists.

It's also possible though that rather than doing what most businesses do and pass profit losses and rising costs off to consumers, weed dealers have just been eating the difference themselves. If distributors (rather than the source) are paying less for it then they reasonably can continue to charge their customers what they were before even though they're getting it cheaper than they were 5 years ago because demand is flatter.

I meant the other illegal drugs.

I've dabbled in my fair share of things and I can tell you weed isn't a replacement good to people who habitually use other illegal substances.  Someone does not do a 8 ball of coke a month and then decide that weed is just as good and quit buying coke. So I'd predict marijuana legalization has had little to no impact on other illicit drugs on the supply or demand side. The only thing it might affect is supply because some small time dealers of illegal drugs decide it's simply safer to peddle weed than coke. But that's always been true even before marijuana legalization. So, probably little to no discernible impact.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 05:35:44 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12007 on: August 30, 2017, 05:45:51 pm »

What's the price of illegal weed in the States? Seeing the price quoted by Martinuzz, those would be well below market price for illegal weed (usually ~7 euros/gram) here.
I do suspect the price I listed is wholesale price. About 4k per k on average sounds about right. Back in my student days I had a side job in the coffeeshop. Back then, wholesale prices ranged from 2k for crap skunk to 6k for superb haze. It's risen a bit over the past 15 years since, the crap skunk now goes for about 2.5k per k wholesale, the top haze about 7k.
Retail prices are about 2 - 2.5 times that. You can buy a gram of skunk in the coffeeshop for 5 euros per gram, the haze will cost you about 14 euros per gram.

If the prices listed for the US are indeed wholesale, looks like they're about equal to the prices here.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12008 on: August 30, 2017, 05:46:59 pm »

I'm more concerned with how the market disruption of legalization could ripple back to the cartels. Weed is responsible for a large percentage of their profits, and I'd wager that the scale of it is responsible for a lot of the way they've started openly terrorizing people in the last few decades.

The drug market is violent but there's a lot of places where organized crime is committed to keeping violence in-house. Such as in the US, for example. The way it's gone in Mexico is partially because they're moving product to the US instead of selling domestically, as well as failures by the Mexican government, but I have to wonder if legal weed would send it all crashing down so they'll act like normal gangsters instead of reavers.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12009 on: August 30, 2017, 05:48:08 pm »

What should be expected, wasn't it the illegality of the of the thing that was driving up prices in the first place, what would having a high demand but a low supply?(at least to the consumer?)

What constricts the supply are the numerous additional costs associated with producing/smuggling marijuana illegally (at all levels of production, transportation, distribution, etc), along with another interesting factor in that marijuana production must compete with the black market rate of profit of other goods (which is far higher than the open market rate of profit, though the money earned is less valuable and there are obviously risks).

But in areas where it is legalized, there are still major legal constrictions that add costs to and limit production, with severe limits on how much can be grown and so on (at least here in Colorado I know that's the case). If it were fully legalized and entered full industrial production, the price would drop like a rock and illegal weed wouldn't even be competitive in price at cost, let alone profitable compared to a comparable black market rate of profit. Though for one more interesting side-point, by making it legal but with major restrictions on legal production, the relaxation and difficulties of enforcement have likely made it much, much cheaper to produce and distribute illegally, so even though prices will continue to decline the illegal profits may currently be higher than ever. Edit: So for example, drug dealers and smugglers may be getting "laid off" as it becomes easier to sell illegal weed openly in places where it's partially legalized, but the cartels themselves might end up earning more than they were before (despite lower prices) as they absorb a larger cut. But this can only last while the prices stay at their current relatively astronomical levels, only possible through the legal restrictions. I.e. "we're killing good local well-paying working class drug dealing jobs, and the cartels are taking the profits!"
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 06:16:54 pm by UrbanGiraffe »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12010 on: August 30, 2017, 05:54:40 pm »

So, yeah, it's basically still like Prohibition era (THE Prohibition era that is, the 1920's and 30's) was for alcohol. Except I don't think there were any states that actively flaunted the prohibition, given that it was enshrined in an amendment.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12011 on: August 30, 2017, 06:13:50 pm »

Meanwhile, legalisation is really starting to affect marijuana prices in the US. Where in september 2015 growers would still get 4740 dollars on average per kilo of weed, last july prices had dropped to 3587 dollars.

The total value of legally sold weed in the US has reached 6 billion this year.

6 billion dollars that would have otherwise gone to organized crime.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12012 on: August 30, 2017, 06:16:01 pm »

Legalization is a pretty good way to deal with marijuana related problems. Not as good as a plague of marijuana weevils. but at least there's some control over it.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12013 on: August 30, 2017, 06:33:34 pm »

I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12014 on: August 30, 2017, 06:48:20 pm »

hmmmmm

Amusing, but the hurricane has killed something like two dozen people, so maybe in poor taste? Not to presume but we do have people from Texas here.

Twas' a sore subject in Jersey for some time after Sandy.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 799 800 [801] 802 803 ... 3563