Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 796 797 [798] 799 800 ... 3563

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4160075 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: D. C. on summer break
« Reply #11955 on: August 30, 2017, 12:08:53 am »

Theres already useful data from other countries that have transgender troops. I'm sure people will go "Oh, but their training standards are different!", but Israel has transgender troops and I'd dare a Congressperson to call them weak just because they have transgender troops.

I wasn't suggesting it because we particularly need the data. I was suggesting endless studies while allowing transgender troops to continue serving in the (interminable) interim as a way to mollify Trump's ego and extremist bigotry to the greatest possible degree while not having to actually start purging the armed forces.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11956 on: August 30, 2017, 12:10:49 am »

The rumor about the Republican Congressthralls makes this all very interesting, because if true it definitely is not going to come in time for negotiations over THE WALL.

Unless Trump pushes it back another year.

Which he might.

Maybes, maybes, maybes...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11957 on: August 30, 2017, 12:15:59 am »

Funding for the hurricane recovery is definetly going to throw a wrench in his plans, despite him insisting that it'd be a completely separate thing from the wall (which it won't be, as that's not how government budgets work). Especially since a shutdown would effectively shut down any recovery efforts other than local based efforts.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #11958 on: August 30, 2017, 12:22:26 am »

Oh god, a government shutdown during a hurricane recovery effort in Texas.  That would not be good PR for the Republican party.

Can anyone read this?  I'm out of WP reads for the month and I'm too tired to do anything about it.  It seems like an interesting story.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11959 on: August 30, 2017, 12:23:22 am »

Delete your browser history, that should do the trick.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11960 on: August 30, 2017, 12:35:25 am »

Oh god, a government shutdown during a hurricane recovery effort in Texas.  That would not be good PR for the Republican party.

This time, it's the President that is threatening them with one. The Republicans don't seem eager to do a shutdown. The Democrats might threaten one as a bargaining chip, but I don't think the appetite for a shutdown is high on either side.

Paul Ryan has said that they'll most likely do a continuing resolution (which doesn't need the Presidents stamp or anything I don't think) since there isn't all that much time between when they get back and the deadline.

Can anyone read this?  I'm out of WP reads for the month and I'm too tired to do anything about it.  It seems like an interesting story.

Viewing it in a new window in private mode works for me. Only works once every 24 hours or something (since the counter still kicks in), but it works.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 12:38:51 am by smjjames »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11961 on: August 30, 2017, 12:35:53 am »

While Donald Trump was running for president in late 2015 and early 2016, his company was pursuing a plan to develop a massive Trump Tower in Moscow, according to several people familiar with the proposal and new records reviewed by Trump Organization lawyers.

Russian-born developer invites Trump to Russia to discuss "...one of the biggest residential projects in real estate history." Investors and Trump's company signed a letter of intent but Trump never went, and they didn't have the land rights to proceed. Project died in January 2016.

The new details from the emails, which are scheduled to be turned over to congressional investigators soon, also point to the likelihood of additional contacts between Russia-connected individuals and Trump associates during his presidential bid.

About par for the course, basically.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11962 on: August 30, 2017, 12:58:18 am »

All of you realize that Trump isn't actually going to build the wall? I mean, he's a narcissistic, racist, sexist demagogue, but he's not stupid. The wall is financially infeasible and isn't actually practical at all... I mean, seriously, someone could just use a frickin' ladder. The sole purpose of the "wall" idea is to get Trump elected. And now that he has, he's going to act like progress is being made while actually doing nothing.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #11963 on: August 30, 2017, 01:01:06 am »

Read the article, it didn't have the quote I was looking for.  However, a NYTimes article did:

Sadly its from the Russian contact guy to Trump's lawyer and there's no evidence he got a response, so not as damning as I would have hoped.  Still funny and suspicious AF.  Also turns Trump and his lawyer's statements that they had no contact with Russia prior to winning the election into a huge lie; but since they weren't under oath when they said those things lying there wasn't a crime.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11964 on: August 30, 2017, 01:04:52 am »

All of you realize that Trump isn't actually going to build the wall? I mean, he's a narcissistic, racist, sexist demagogue, but he's not stupid. The wall is financially infeasible and isn't actually practical at all... I mean, seriously, someone could just use a frickin' ladder. The sole purpose of the "wall" idea is to get Trump elected. And now that he has, he's going to act like progress is being made while actually doing nothing.
You assume too much pragmatism of Trump. He's trying his hardest to make a Muslim (from non-Trump participating countries) ban a reality, isn't he? And so THE WALL can be the same. There have already been negotiations over THE WALL in a fiscal sense. That Trump has failed to actualize a legitimate wall plan means nothing for his feelings towards THE WALL. He would act the same way whether or not he was planning to actually make THE WALL a reality.

Infeasibility and impracticality are of course not concerns. This is politics we're talking here.

We'll get a better handle on this when budget negotiations happen. The scenario you posit isn't impossible, and it's what a smarter politician would do, but that doesn't mean that's what Trump is actually doing.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11965 on: August 30, 2017, 01:53:26 am »

i hope that trump gets impeached and that pence decides to save dosh and instead of THE WALL he builds THE PENCE FENCE
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11966 on: August 30, 2017, 02:08:04 am »

You assume too much pragmatism of Trump. He's trying his hardest to make a Muslim (from non-Trump participating countries) ban a reality, isn't he? And so THE WALL can be the same. There have already been negotiations over THE WALL in a fiscal sense. That Trump has failed to actualize a legitimate wall plan means nothing for his feelings towards THE WALL. He would act the same way whether or not he was planning to actually make THE WALL a reality.

Infeasibility and impracticality are of course not concerns. This is politics we're talking here.

We'll get a better handle on this when budget negotiations happen. The scenario you posit isn't impossible, and it's what a smarter politician would do, but that doesn't mean that's what Trump is actually doing.
The wall he wants is politically, financially, environmentally and logistically impossible. It's never getting built -- but it's also not the wall I'm worried about.

The wall I'm worried about is the one Trump imagines will be his signature achievement. He knows that Congress doesn't like him, although I don't think he has the minimal self-awareness to imagine why; he has further learned that he can't get legislation passed by bullying Congresspeople and throwing parties for his cronies, so he's decided that legislation is stupid and doesn't matter. It just makes the news people laugh at him. He's also given up on anything international because he can't bully world leaders by just demanding everything he wants for nothing and calling himself an excellent negotiator, and Kelly has quite sensibly cut off his access to the vast array of slimeballs who used to give him new ideas to steal so he's running on autopilot. One by one, but with increasing rapidity, his friends are leaving, but the wall remains. The wall is a thing, and he knows how to build things -- better still, he knows how to put his name on things other people have built and paid for. And people like the wall, yes, they say so at the rallies.

Trump isn't demanding the wall for any rational reason. It's just the one thing other people haven't yet taken away from him or changed or put through "procedure", the one idea he can still cling to and understand. He dreams of holding rallies in front of it, putting his name on it in big gold letters, and hocking Trump brand wall merchandise. He wants to point to it, say "I built the wall!" and dare the fake news media to contradict him or say he doesn't know anything. So he will demand a big concrete dog and pony show of some sort and use it as a litmus test for who in Congress is still insane enough to back him. Then he will demand a bigger one, just to show he matters and can still make people dance for him -- and when someone points out deadlines are imminent, he will respond by pointing out that he is very rich and also the President. And people will cheer when the government shuts down, oh yes, because it makes liberals sad.

That's the wall I'm worried about: the big useless one Trump is using as a crutch.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11967 on: August 30, 2017, 02:43:40 am »

North Korean leader Kim Young One has announced there will be more missile strikes coming soon. He said the missile flying over Japan was just 'foreplay' in a military operation to control Guam.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #11968 on: August 30, 2017, 08:54:11 am »

/Sarc well that's just lovely, I don't take Kim to actually be stupid though so I'm willing to bet he'll keep pushing for another few days before he magically finds some new Middle failures and gets the international pressure on himself lessened for a bit .

That is because he knows that if he actually does anything successfully that Pyongyang will become a puddle of glass with very few people mourning its loss.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11969 on: August 30, 2017, 09:01:46 am »

Yea, he'd have to be really stupid or make a severe miscalculation (which is still possible) to actually fire a missile towards Guam.

China probably should tell him in sterner terms than they did before how much of a bad idea it would be, and that if he did fire missiles at Guam, China wouldn't help them at all.
Pages: 1 ... 796 797 [798] 799 800 ... 3563