Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 781 782 [783] 784 785 ... 3563

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4162758 times)

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: D. C. on summer break
« Reply #11730 on: August 26, 2017, 04:39:50 am »

Everyone's favorite sheriff pardoned by Herr Trump.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/trump-pardons-former-arizona-sheriff-joe-arpaio/2017/08/25/afbff4b6-86b1-11e7-961d-2f373b3977ee_story.html

What's next, he's going to pardon Dylan Roof, and give him a medal for making America white again?
When the fuck can this guy be impeached already, pretty please?

I don't think that Dylan roof did a great deal to support trumps campaign, although, correct me if I am wrong. I see  this as him supporting a political buddy rather than his (seemingly) white  nationalistic agenda.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11731 on: August 26, 2017, 06:19:25 am »

Was in the car with friend, his mom texted him saying that she was watching cable news and North Korea tried to nuke guam but narrowly missed.  This is not true just a deceptively worded headline.  But I briefly considered taking the next uber out to the countryside.  Its, what, 2 hours for a hostile ICBM to reach its target?  And the area I'm in would most definitely be hit with 50 overlapping strikes if all out nuclear war happened.

A little touch of the Cold War paranoia I guess.
I don't get this link people are making, from NK having a couple of missiles to an all-out nuclear war. Who would that all-out nuclear war be with and why?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11732 on: August 26, 2017, 08:01:11 am »

With the whole Arpaio thing, I've found that Trump supporters are actually supporting this decision. I'm now convinced they'd support him if he was actively facefucking each and every one of them before stabbing them in the ear, saying things like "At least it's not Hillary!" and "at least he looks out for us!"

I really don't think THIS is the best example of "Trump is going Hulkamania!"

This pardon is controversial indeed, but the crime in question is "Contempt of court"... and it SEEMS that Trump did so because of the Sheriff's strong stance against Illegal immigrants.

If anything this is one of the least examples of abusive pardonings. So you are going to need to wait... say... I dunno... a week before Trump does something TRUELY corrupt and stupid.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 08:03:36 am by Neonivek »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11733 on: August 26, 2017, 08:08:56 am »

If anything this is one of the least examples of abusive pardonings.

By what standard? This has had no review by the Department of Justice, he hadn't even been sentenced yet and he meets none of the standards recommended by the DOJ for being pardoned (like actively seeking forgiveness rather than vindication, for example).

Neither cronyism nor political grandstanding are valid reasons to issue a pardon. I checked. Nor is the applicant being strongly against illegal immigration, as though Arpaio were that and not just cartoonishly racist.

This is appalling.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 08:17:06 am by Trekkin »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11734 on: August 26, 2017, 08:50:32 am »

So from what I gathered reading up on the lady pages Trump can only pardon federal crimes/sentences. Is federal law the only thing Arpaio is convicted for(/against?)?
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11735 on: August 26, 2017, 09:06:17 am »

Nope. More than that, it also only protects against criminal sentencing, and constitutes an admission of guilt if accepted. So... state might still be pretty able to drop some bricks on him, and he's now basically open season so far as civil litigation goes. Far as I'm aware at the least the ACLU is gearing up to strip Joe of every damn penny he has.

Also probably worth noting the last few days have got them one of the largest donation windfalls they've seen. Between arp and the trans thing (among other things, probably) their warchest just got pretty damn swole, as such goes.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11736 on: August 26, 2017, 09:08:08 am »

Well here's to a possible silver lining then, even if it's bitter.
Love, scriver~

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11737 on: August 26, 2017, 09:10:52 am »

But then, he's only be pardoned for contempt of a federal court, and I'm fairly certain states cannot do anything about that,

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11738 on: August 26, 2017, 09:13:20 am »

Sure. But that was in relation to the federal investigation he was under and due to be sentenced for. Not the state one, which was also happening, or whatever else may happen when he gets put into a civil court having just waived his right to invoke the 5th.

E: Which he did, by the by, for anything basically even tangentially related to what the contempt change was applied for. That's one of the things that happens when you accept a pardon.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 09:15:04 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #11739 on: August 26, 2017, 10:42:18 am »

With the whole Arpaio thing, I've found that Trump supporters are actually supporting this decision. I'm now convinced they'd support him if he was actively facefucking each and every one of them before stabbing them in the ear, saying things like "At least it's not Hillary!" and "at least he looks out for us!"

This pardon is controversial indeed, but the crime in question is "Contempt of court"... and it SEEMS that Trump did so because of the Sheriff's strong stance against Illegal immigrants.

If anything this is one of the least examples of abusive pardonings. So you are going to need to wait... say... I dunno... a week before Trump does something TRUELY corrupt and stupid.
The dude ran concentration camps where he tortured people for being latino. The contempt charge came from a court telling him to stop abducting latinos for no reason and him refusing. Am I godwinning by calling them concentration camps? No. Those are *his words* on what they were.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11740 on: August 26, 2017, 01:29:16 pm »

I feel like Trump could eat a live child on national TV, and your response would be, "Well, it was a *small* child. Call me when he does something really awful."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11741 on: August 26, 2017, 01:35:44 pm »

Apparently he was actually prideful of them when he called them concentration camps. If that's true, shows what kind of character he is.

Because they kind of are concentration camps... Though I think the SPECIFIC term for them is "Internment Camp"

If you are wondering what makes something a Concentration Camp
relatively small area with inadequate facilities

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11742 on: August 26, 2017, 01:38:17 pm »

Well, if you want to know for sure, you can get it from the horse's mouth.
Ask not!
Ask!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #11743 on: August 26, 2017, 04:14:42 pm »

Apparently he was actually prideful of them when he called them concentration camps. If that's true, shows what kind of character he is.

Because they kind of are concentration camps... Though I think the SPECIFIC term for them is "Internment Camp"

If you are wondering what makes something a Concentration Camp
relatively small area with inadequate facilities
I'm sorry, did you just google "concentration camp" and then cut the automatic quote down to the bolded bit?  For reference:
a place where large numbers of people, especially political prisoners or members of persecuted minorities, are deliberately imprisoned in a relatively small area with inadequate facilities, sometimes to provide forced labor or to await mass execution. The term is most strongly associated with the several hundred camps established by the Nazis in Germany and occupied Europe in 1933–45, among the most infamous being Dachau, Belsen, and Auschwitz.
What world do you live in that looks like an effective summary of the quote?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11744 on: August 26, 2017, 04:17:18 pm »

My flat is a concentration camp!
Pages: 1 ... 781 782 [783] 784 785 ... 3563