Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 754 755 [756] 757 758 ... 3564

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4168212 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: D. C. on summer break
« Reply #11325 on: August 21, 2017, 08:11:13 pm »

Really? Columbus? Bombs???

Are we trying to project the absolute caricature of a revisionists most absurd fears? I'm aware Columbus was like, one of the worst people to ever exist, but really? To most people it's a monument to the Western European discovery of the American Mainland. The only way you could project more of a revisionist theme to the general public is if you airdropped a manifesto pamphlet on why books should be burned. I know that's not what's intended but now that's what people will think.

Yeah, I was like "Why Columbus?" when I saw the article earlier. If he didn't discover America, someone else would and they'd still get all the same reasons slammed on them as The Hill article mentioned for Columbus. Besides, it's on a complete different moral level than the confederate stuff.

... sweet zeus, yes, it was a joke. Wasn't being serious. At all.

I think he's just not familiar with the way we joke around like that in the AmeriPol thread.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11326 on: August 21, 2017, 08:13:46 pm »

I think he's just not familiar with the way we joke around like that in the AmeriPol thread.

Oh, I know, but people tend to read the tone they want into the Internet, and I have kind of a hair trigger for people posting what could be read as an incitement to riot frivolously. I'm not trying to jump down Frumple's throat, or indeed anyone's. It just needs to be said, is all.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11327 on: August 21, 2017, 08:16:56 pm »

Sorry, was reacting to the events, not to you guys at all.  :-\
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11328 on: August 21, 2017, 08:18:21 pm »

Sorry, was reacting to the events, not to you guys at all.  :-\

I knew you were reacting to the events.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #11329 on: August 21, 2017, 08:26:43 pm »

Trump's brilliant new strategy for Afghanistan, is to order his Generals to come up with a new strategy for Afghanistan.

Bravo, Trump. Now when the quick and easy answers you promised are not forthcoming, you can blame someone else. Bulletproof.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11330 on: August 21, 2017, 08:30:51 pm »

Trump's brilliant new strategy for Afghanistan, is to order his Generals to come up with a new strategy for Afghanistan.

Bravo, Trump. Now when the quick and easy answers you promised are not forthcoming, you can blame someone else. Bulletproof.

I'm legit disappointed at the lack of lassos in this plan. Get on it, generals.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11331 on: August 21, 2017, 08:43:35 pm »

In all fairness this is the typical strategy people employ.

Then again those people are not the President of the United States... So maybe we should have a higher standard for Trump than we do a PHD Idiot.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11332 on: August 21, 2017, 08:58:03 pm »

In all fairness this is the typical strategy people employ.

Then again those people are not the President of the United States... So maybe we should have a higher standard for Trump than we do a PHD Idiot.

It may be the typical strategy people employ, but not wanting the enemy to know what we're doing is a legit reason. The big change is from a timetable based plan to a conditional plan, but uh, he could have gone big with the conditional.

I guess wait and see whether the relevant Congresspeople are satisfied with whatever Trump's plan is supposed to be.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11333 on: August 21, 2017, 09:05:34 pm »

... isn't this like the third time he's told them that or something? I could swear I've heard the words, "Trump's new plan, get generals to make new plan." or variations of it more than once in the last twelve months.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11334 on: August 21, 2017, 09:07:04 pm »

Then again I guess we are being unfair to Trump. He isn't a military strategist and often times a good solution is: "Get the experts on it"

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #11335 on: August 21, 2017, 09:08:05 pm »

... isn't this like the third time he's told them that or something? I could swear I've heard the words, "Trump's new plan, get generals to make new plan." or variations of it more than once in the last twelve months.

You're probably thinking of health care, where he did the exact same thing.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11336 on: August 21, 2017, 09:20:13 pm »

Though one of the major criticisms of Trump is that he has less specific objections to Obama care and the like, but rather that he is just anti-Obama.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11337 on: August 21, 2017, 09:40:40 pm »

Look, I'm from Dallas, yes I could saddle and ride a horse before I could drive a car, but I have never used a lasso, gotta go a bit further west I think, or head up to OklahomaAmerica's Grundle and once you find civilization (hah!) ask anyone there, I'm sure they can help you out. I wouldn't know for sure, I don't consort with those people but I assume with nothing else to do but livestock they'd have to develop skill at wrassling them.

I can totally get behind statue-busting if done by actual cowboys on horseback as a sport.
Yeah, I was like "Why Columbus?" when I saw the article earlier. If he didn't discover America, someone else would and they'd still get all the same reasons slammed on them as The Hill article mentioned for Columbus. Besides, it's on a complete different moral level than the confederate stuff.
Well, besides being like 100,000 years too late to discover shit, he was a kidfucking git who played a significant role in kickstarting the slave trade.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11338 on: August 21, 2017, 09:45:42 pm »

Columbus is fascinating in that he meets a new people who, at least to my knowledge, openly embraced him and showed him kindness that is rarely found in the world especially back then.

Yet his writing... wow!

Yeah he wasn't a very good person (even for the time)

JohnnyYuma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11339 on: August 21, 2017, 09:47:00 pm »

Though one of the major criticisms of Trump is that he has less specific objections to Obama care and the like, but rather that he is just anti-Obama.

They're both left-wing, what do you expect? The state can never provide a really good healthcare or education without choking the economy. Don't point to Europe, compare their economic growth from today to the free-market American one from the 1950s. It grew by 37% between 1950 and 1960. Try to beat that.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 09:51:32 pm by JohnnyYuma »
Pages: 1 ... 754 755 [756] 757 758 ... 3564