Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 744 745 [746] 747 748 ... 3564

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4169836 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: D. C. on summer break
« Reply #11175 on: August 19, 2017, 12:31:11 pm »

Heh. I thought "Stonewall" Jackson was the name of a US president. President "Stonewall" Jackson.

Ulysses S Grant was the one that became president.  He was an awful president IIRC, but he was president.

Stonewall Jackson was just a particularly noteworthy confederate general.  Aside from his appearance in one of the battles of bull run, I don't remember him doing much.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #11176 on: August 19, 2017, 12:32:21 pm »

They want to rename a school in VA that is named for a confederate war hero.

I don't have a problem with this. The naming of a school is usually given to support the actions and ideals of a person and/or their way of thinking. It isn't used as a teaching tool or a reminder of history like a monument can be. It's intent is instead to (for lack of a better description) set a public role model. Definitely should be someone more appropriate.

The problem is that schools in the area are notoriously underfunded, and the article states that the cost of changing everything could reach $750,000.
I think that's reverence same as the statue.  Plenty of people admire Rommel's military aptitude, doesn't mean we name things after him.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11177 on: August 19, 2017, 12:46:59 pm »

Heh. I thought "Stonewall" Jackson was the name of a US president. President "Stonewall" Jackson.

You're thinking of Andrew Jackson.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11178 on: August 19, 2017, 01:01:14 pm »

He was actually one of the greatest US military minds to ever live, along with Lee. If I'm not mistaken, Stonewall's tactical exploits are even studied overseas.

But yeah the article mentions that they are trying to crowdfund, but only got 2000$. They mention the costs as sports uniforms and equipment, etc. Some of the schools around here (when I was in high school some time ago) did need some serious repairs/upgrades, and it would bother me to some degree if they spent all this money on renaming rather than improving the facilities.

I have a kid who will be in school in a few years. Gives a new perspective to me. I do feel like I'll have no problem explaining to him why the school is named that, and I certainly don't think the name of it will lean him towards being a psycho supremacist, but I can understand the logic behind this change easily.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11179 on: August 19, 2017, 01:36:50 pm »

Ulysses S Grant was the one that became president.  He was an awful president IIRC, but he was president.

Stonewall Jackson was just a particularly noteworthy confederate general.  Aside from his appearance in one of the battles of bull run, I don't remember him doing much.
He was an amazing officer, much better than Lee, and he got shot by one of his own men on accident.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #11180 on: August 19, 2017, 01:53:41 pm »

Thanks for that rant on the internet, Frumple.  I didn't have it in me at the time to write something similar, but that's basically how I feel about it.

I think the primary limiting factor on human advancement has always been ability to communicate, and there's only two developments in history that approach the internet's level of importants on this front -- written language and the printing press.  Both of which directly coincided with massive upgrades to the human condition, but also a great deal of temporary instability as new establishments rose to conflict with old.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11181 on: August 19, 2017, 02:04:12 pm »

I think the primary limiting factor on human advancement has always been ability to communicate, and there's only two developments in history that approach the internet's level of importants on this front -- written language and the printing press.  Both of which directly coincided with massive upgrades to the human condition, but also a great deal of temporary instability as new establishments rose to conflict with old.

More precisely, it's the ability to access information (and who has access to it) and the speed at which ideas could spread.

Television and radio were definetly a big change in speed of information and the ability to reach larger groups at a time, but access didn't change all that much. The internet magnified both access and speed exponentially.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 02:05:49 pm by smjjames »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11182 on: August 19, 2017, 02:46:11 pm »

More precisely, it's the ability to access information (and who has access to it) and the speed at which ideas could spread.

Television and radio were definetly a big change in speed of information and the ability to reach larger groups at a time, but access didn't change all that much. The internet magnified both access and speed exponentially.

I do think we're currently struggling to adapt to that access and speed though. Internet is probably a net positive, but we've also introduced a number of problems to ourselves we're struggling to deal with.

As the world becomes more internet dependent, we'll see more instances of things like the recent series of ransomware attacks and in a world where to the average user, the internet is only one step below complete magic, and for even an expert user it's often impossible to completely understand the threats and properly protect yourself, I expect to see a lot of damage being done.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11183 on: August 19, 2017, 03:25:15 pm »

I think that renaming not only a politically driven decision, but also a brilliant way of whitewashing the local history of any undesirables. It's a great idea to ignore parts of history and remove signs that the past was not as we would have liked it! I think we should go further and rename Virginia as the current name is reminiscent of history and the bloody english and that's terrible. In fact, we should stop teaching history in schools and establish a proper department to modify records in order to avoid mistakes in proles' thought! Truly, we are the harbingers of peace and prosperity!
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11184 on: August 19, 2017, 03:29:23 pm »

I'm pretty sure having confederate monuments and buildings named after confederate generals only serves to honor the confederacy.  They don't actually teach you the details of those negative parts of history; they only serve to try spinning those parts as positive, something to be respected and emulated.

Needless to say, the Confederacy should be neither respected nor emulated.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11185 on: August 19, 2017, 03:37:41 pm »

I think that renaming not only a politically driven decision, but also a brilliant way of whitewashing the local history of any undesirables. It's a great idea to ignore parts of history and remove signs that the past was not as we would have liked it! I think we should go further and rename Virginia as the current name is reminiscent of history and the bloody english and that's terrible. In fact, we should stop teaching history in schools and establish a proper department to modify records in order to avoid mistakes in proles' thought! Truly, we are the harbingers of peace and prosperity!

Nice slippery slope fallacy there.

However, I agree that the politics of it should be minimized as much as possible so that there is a honest discussion about it. Also, did anybody ask the local community and the students and teachers at the school if they wanted to change the name?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11186 on: August 19, 2017, 03:39:07 pm »

You're thinking of Andrew Jackson.

Yeah, I googled President Jackson to see where I had got it from. President "Stonewall" Jackson is very catchy, though, so it's no wonder I mushed the two names together.

Thanks for that rant on the internet, Frumple.  I didn't have it in me at the time to write something similar, but that's basically how I feel about it.

Unless the end result is that we actually communicate less.
Love, scriver~

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #11187 on: August 19, 2017, 03:59:52 pm »

The linked article points out that the school was specifically named after Stonewall by officials, as a fuck you to people calling for desegregated schools.  Not nearly the same thing as Virginia.  Also the officials that renamed the schools in the south were likely local school board members, same as the ones proposing to change it now.  But yeah, I'm sure all the people who disagree with you are arrogant elites and all the people that agree with you are angry poor people.

Also that's not what whitewashed means in this context.  Whitewashed means lightening history, e.g. by drawing Jesus with cream cheese pale skin.  Even ignoring that Stonewall Jackson is white, renaming the school wouldn't be whitewashing.  Giving a black general credit for Stonewall's quote, that would be the correct use of the word.  Of course it never goes in that direction, hence why its called whitewashing and not a more racially generic term.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11188 on: August 19, 2017, 04:06:34 pm »

I guess you could use brightwashing or lightwashing in place of whitewashing.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 744 745 [746] 747 748 ... 3564