Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 733 734 [735] 736 737 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4187132 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: D. C. on summer break
« Reply #11010 on: August 17, 2017, 03:29:59 pm »

If that's a slippery slope, we've been sliding down it since about when the internet was made... this is nothing new.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #11011 on: August 17, 2017, 03:33:35 pm »

The DailyStormer was taken down because its founder posted this, and domains have since refused to host his content.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is the type of person who some are so afraid will win over the public and grow their cause by claiming to be the true victims because the left is soooo violent.  Does this seem ridiculous enough yet?

The Washington Post on what he's had to say on the aftermath of Charlottesville and public reaction to his comments.

Is that Sartre quote sinking in yet?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 03:37:28 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11012 on: August 17, 2017, 03:37:44 pm »

Bloody hell trump's apparently trying to get in contact with the family of the lady killed. After a few days of equating her to nazis, having to have a statement of reproach for her killers forced out of him, etc., etc. Words fail, yet again.

... would also half expect the secret service or whatever to just not allow a face to face at this particular point of time. Gods know I know a lot of folks that would attempt homicide if he got too close before a good bit more time passed.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11013 on: August 17, 2017, 03:58:11 pm »

Bloody hell trump's apparently trying to get in contact with the family of the lady killed. After a few days of equating her to nazis, having to have a statement of reproach for her killers forced out of him, etc., etc. Words fail, yet again.

... would also half expect the secret service or whatever to just not allow a face to face at this particular point of time. Gods know I know a lot of folks that would attempt homicide if he got too close before a good bit more time passed.

Out of the context of the Trump comments, that's actually pretty standard. I think the mother of the woman said she wasn't angry at Trump, but that was before his later comments.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11014 on: August 17, 2017, 04:03:57 pm »

Eh, I doubt the family would do anything, considering the fact that the mother thanked Trump for his "words of comfort."

Lol, talk about international ostracization, Dailystormer has been booted off it's .ru domain,
It wasn't actually the Russians who shut them down, it was CloudFlare, the anti-DDOS protection thing.

I feel there's actually a pretty serious problem with a few big companies being able to basically completely destroy a website's internet presence. Not shedding tears for nazis, but now that Pandora's box is open, what's to stop them silencing other movements, etc?

It's called 'Terms of Service'. They've still got the dark web to retreat to
Yeaaah...but maybe two or three companies shouldn't be able to use unregulated TOSes to decide what is and isn't on the internet. Again, I'm not shedding tears for nazis, but there ought to be some regulation for what's pretty quickly becoming a vital utility.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11015 on: August 17, 2017, 04:09:26 pm »

Eh, I doubt the family would do anything, considering the fact that the mother thanked Trump for his "words of comfort."

That was before the later comments, but she could just decline the offer if she didn't want to do a face to face.

In some more pleasant news, Trump is tapping Jim Bridenstein for NASA adminstrator. He's a massive space ethnuianist, so, that along with being a politician, that should work well for NASA.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 05:01:53 pm by smjjames »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11016 on: August 17, 2017, 05:45:48 pm »

Yeaaah...but maybe two or three companies shouldn't be able to use unregulated TOSes to decide what is and isn't on the internet. Again, I'm not shedding tears for nazis, but there ought to be some regulation for what's pretty quickly becoming a vital utility.
I'm generally sympathetic to that line of argument, but in particular, GoDaddy (the original host of the DailyStormer up until the last week) actually defended their protection of the DS as being a part of free speech, and that was their stance up until the threat a few days ago, so I think GoDaddy at least can hardly be claimed to be enforcing their political views on anyone. More like poorly enforcing their TOS. (Relevant article, cited by NY Times, here) And of course, recently you may recall that Net Neutrality got reversed, so the internet is not a utility. So, for now, an internet company can do as they please. I don't regard that as a positive state of affairs, but that's how it is.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11017 on: August 17, 2017, 05:52:08 pm »

Lol, talk about international ostracization, Dailystormer has been booted off it's .ru domain,
It wasn't actually the Russians who shut them down, it was CloudFlare, the anti-DDOS protection thing.

I feel there's actually a pretty serious problem with a few big companies being able to basically completely destroy a website's internet presence. Not shedding tears for nazis, but now that Pandora's box is open, what's to stop them silencing other movements, etc?

It's called 'Terms of Service'. They've still got the dark web to retreat to
Forgive me if I'm mistaken but I took you for being of a more conservative bend, and folks round them parts don't take too kindly to that sorta liberal soundin' talk.

Anyway, if you do shit that cloudflare thinks is vile and they choose to withdraw their services, not sure if you'll find too much support for forcing them to go back to offering that site ddos protection.

Also I'm shamelessly stealing this from elsewhere, but wouldn't the opposite side from the alt-right be the ctrl-left?

Myself I'm part of the super-left, and it seems that the governor was talking about planning procedures involving keeping an eye out for weapons caches being placed, but turned it into "we found weapons caches" while the police said they didn't: http://reason.com/blog/2017/08/16/virginia-state-police-say-they-didnt-fin so that's good news sorta?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11018 on: August 17, 2017, 05:57:50 pm »

Too bad there is no completely public domain host server that isn't owned by anybody. Unfortunately, someone would have to be paid to maintain it, I'm sure even the dark web server hosts need to pay to maintain their stuff.

it seems that the governor was talking about planning procedures involving keeping an eye out for weapons caches being placed, but turned it into "we found weapons caches" while the police said they didn't: http://reason.com/blog/2017/08/16/virginia-state-police-say-they-didnt-fin so that's good news sorta?

Wouldn't be the first time a politician got completely misunderstood.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #11019 on: August 17, 2017, 06:53:02 pm »

Too bad there is no completely public domain host server that isn't owned by anybody. Unfortunately, someone would have to be paid to maintain it, I'm sure even the dark web server hosts need to pay to maintain their stuff.

it seems that the governor was talking about planning procedures involving keeping an eye out for weapons caches being placed, but turned it into "we found weapons caches" while the police said they didn't: http://reason.com/blog/2017/08/16/virginia-state-police-say-they-didnt-fin so that's good news sorta?

Wouldn't be the first time a politician got completely misunderstood.

I think this is a case of a politician misunderstanding reports that were fed to him.

As for the net neutrality thing, it's already been confirmed that the website was just moved to the "Dark Web".  Just means it's on a domain that won't show up on search engines, right?  Whether that's any kind of ethical infringement is a more interesting debate.  He's not being denied the ability to have his website.  Other services just aren't being obligated to promote it to a position of public prominence.  Now, google having the role in society that it does now and being able to remove information from equal public availability as such is something you can easily argue as abusable... but it's also nothing new.  Just happening in a different way in this case.  And it's not a case I have much care to raise alarms over.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11020 on: August 17, 2017, 07:40:06 pm »

Don't think so? Quick check says otherwise, anyway. More the part of the 'net that's not search indexed that also takes specialized software to access. Unless whoever was reporting on it screwed up terminology (very, very possible), it's probably not able to be accessed by a normal browser at all.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11021 on: August 17, 2017, 07:48:34 pm »

Don't think so? Quick check says otherwise, anyway. More the part of the 'net that's not search indexed that also takes specialized software to access. Unless whoever was reporting on it screwed up terminology (very, very possible), it's probably not able to be accessed by a normal browser at all.

I'm not certain if you need dedicated software for the dark net, but honestly for the majority of dark net content you'd want something to maintain anonymity anyway even if you could.  Use Tor or something.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11022 on: August 17, 2017, 08:03:46 pm »

"The governor was referencing the weapons and tactical gear the members of various groups attending the rally had on their persons," Geller says. "I can assure you that the Virginia State Police personnel were equipped with more-than-adequate specialized tactical and protective gear for the purpose of fulfilling their duties to serve and protect those in attendance of the August 12 event in Charlottesville."

"we just chose not to."
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11023 on: August 17, 2017, 08:17:23 pm »

"The governor was referencing the weapons and tactical gear the members of various groups attending the rally had on their persons," Geller says. "I can assure you that the Virginia State Police personnel were equipped with more-than-adequate specialized tactical and protective gear for the purpose of fulfilling their duties to serve and protect those in attendance of the August 12 event in Charlottesville."

"we just chose not to."

Weren't some of those militia guys actually on the side of the counterprotesters? I saw somewhere that a few of them said they were. Also, if they were so scared of the dozen or so militia guys, then why didn't they deal with those militia guys? It's just a major copout to me.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11024 on: August 17, 2017, 08:21:46 pm »

"we just chose not to."

Weren't some of those militia guys actually on the side of the counterprotesters? I saw somewhere that a few of them said they were. Also, if they were so scared of the dozen or so militia guys, then why didn't they deal with those militia guys? It's just a major copout to me.
I don't think their is such a thing as a left wing militia in the US.
Pages: 1 ... 733 734 [735] 736 737 ... 3566