Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 729 730 [731] 732 733 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4185517 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: D. C. on summer break
« Reply #10950 on: August 16, 2017, 06:03:26 pm »

Heh. Fun thing, smj, is that fortunately for the US if we wanted to try something like that, our biggest problem on the extremist front isn't our minority populations! That our police forces have thoroughly screwed the pooch at the moment with race relations would only matter so much when the one group they ain't been screwing is holding what needs to be corralled.

if the alt-right ever became competent propagandists, they'd seize on clashes with antifa as "nationalists vs anarchists" or something crazy like that.
Last I checked they've been trying to wank that line as hard as they possibly can for years, PG. It certainly comes up if you take a few seconds to read much in the way of commentary.

Fortunately it's harder in cases like this latest big bit because it's rough trying to present yourself as a nationalist when you're standing shoulder to shoulder with someone that is openly proclaiming they want to kill much to most of the nation's population. Like, that's probably not as much of a concern when the forces trying it have near zero ability to make strides with the groups that are going to be the net majority within another decade or three.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10951 on: August 16, 2017, 06:04:38 pm »

I honestly don't get it when you guys say "punching nazis doesn't work? Tell that to WW2!"
The whole point being made here is that we don't want nazis running the country, and that using violence against them makes it more likely they'll succeed, not less. The original Nazis didn't win in spite of conflict with the KPD and Rotfront, they won because of that conflict. They were able to spin those years of streetfighting, plus the Russian Revolution, as "Bolshevik agitators invading Germany," and get the support of a plurality of German voters. There's a risk of the same thing happening today; if the alt-right ever became competent propagandists, they'd seize on clashes with antifa as "nationalists vs anarchists" or something crazy like that.
Well that and it's not effective use of force. The proposal is force used outside of legal boundaries that does not achieve anything in disrupting or halting the objectives, advancement or threat posed by the amerinazis, nor does it do anything to change their mind or at the very least moderate their views. It is the worst of both worlds; a legal crackdown up to lethal force would eliminate the threat they posed to them, a civic engagement would stand the greatest chance of convincing more of them that their country does not hate them nor their problems the fault of minorities. That it exists outside the boundaries of law also adds in the whole factor of police being required to shut you down for posing just as significant a threat. Casual violence neither neutralizes them, nor convinces them that their opposition are nothing more than violent minorities. Worst of both worlds

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10952 on: August 16, 2017, 06:06:41 pm »

... which hey, is why basically no one has been suggesting casual violence. Go figure.
Ask not!
Ask!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10953 on: August 16, 2017, 06:07:29 pm »

... which hey, is why basically no one has been suggesting casual violence. Go figure.
If it were not for the whole 'you must punch them in the jaws' crowd I would agree
figure go

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10954 on: August 16, 2017, 06:57:20 pm »

Yeh, outside that lot. Probably would have worded it differently, but at th'mo I hadn't ate more than a few small chips in the last... twelve hours? Sixteen? Less than twenty four, not sure by how much. Food currently going into stomach, but I've definitely been a bit less careful with bits of wording for the last while.

... doesn't help that I'm still pretty pissed off at trump. Longest and most angry I've been at about anyone in the last couple of decades, honestly. Apparently I care about the grandparents more than I thought, which is a helluva' thing 'cause I thought it was a lot.
Ask not!
Ask!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10955 on: August 16, 2017, 07:22:54 pm »

Frumple! Eat a snickers.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10956 on: August 16, 2017, 07:28:58 pm »

Microwaved rice with cheese, leftover teriyaki beef noodle seasoning (one day I'm going to get around to just extorting that stuff from the noodle makers. I don't care about the box noodles, I want the friggin' seasoning.), and diced chicken nuggets rolled around in BBQ sauce mixed in. Also some black pepper in there, somewhere.

... which I guess is good. I'm trying to avoid caffeine these days, which is terrible in some ways 'cause I like chocolate enough even american chocolate is gleefully devoured.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 07:30:36 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10958 on: August 16, 2017, 07:38:52 pm »

Wow, he called Trump an arrogant fool. I wonder if he's right about his job security - I can't really imagine why Trump wouldn't want to pivot towards more mainstream Republicans leaving Bannon and the Hitler Wannabes in the dust. Unless he really believes it? Or really believes his main base is racists?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10959 on: August 16, 2017, 07:42:19 pm »

Wow, he called Trump an arrogant fool. I wonder if he's right about his job security - I can't really imagine why Trump wouldn't want to pivot towards more mainstream Republicans leaving Bannon and the Hitler Wannabes in the dust. Unless he really believes it? Or really believes his main base is racists?

The journalist called Trump an arrogant fool, not Bannon, which is why he was surprised that Bannon even called him for an interview, even thought that maybe Bannon was going to yell at him. Probably one of the worst bits is that he appears to mock those that Trump thinks are his base.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 07:45:45 pm by smjjames »

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10960 on: August 16, 2017, 07:55:05 pm »

Honestly, part of me thinks that getting fired is part of Banenon's plan (see what I did thar). I think that, at this crucial juncture for his pet movement, he might care less about giving it presidential support than making sure it's run well. Bannon is an intelligent, Magnificient Bastard type; not something I can say about Spencer and co. I could easily see him getting himself kicked out of the administration for being too alt-right, and using that cred to get in a powerful position where he can stop the anime nazi LARPers from destroying everything he's worked for.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10961 on: August 16, 2017, 08:02:21 pm »

Who knows, maybe it is, or he wants out and is trying to do it in a way that gets him fired instead of resigning since simply resigning looks worse (in some way) than just plain getting fired.

Alternatively, he's really nervous/anxious, wanted to talk, and just screwed up.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10962 on: August 16, 2017, 08:11:49 pm »

If it were not for the whole 'you must punch them in the jaws' crowd I would agree
figure go
Hey, I'm not saying you MUST punch them, if you're not up for smacking someone in the chops, I get it, it's kinda horrifying sometimes when you gotta see what happens up close, but once again I ask when has not punching nazis worked out well?

Case in point: https://twitter.com/justcallmeBABA/status/897736204682186752

Split them up, watch them betamode wuss out and beg to avoid getting smacked, make sure everyone sees this, the real face of these shitnazis. With any luck they'll fade back into obscurity before folks need to start stomping, and that would be fantastic.

They get to choose to be a nazi, my neighbors don't get to choose to not be targeted by these fucks because of their skin color, but through a quirk of birth I somehow get to fly under their radar? Nah, even though I don't know the folks next door beyond saying hello or minor smalltalk, I've gotta default to backing the side which isn't choosing to support hateful bullshit.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10963 on: August 16, 2017, 09:11:06 pm »

figure go
Hey, I'm not saying you MUST punch them, if you're not up for smacking someone in the chops, I get it, it's kinda horrifying sometimes when you gotta see what happens up close, but once again I ask when has not punching nazis worked out well?

Case in point: https://twitter.com/justcallmeBABA/status/897736204682186752

Split them up, watch them betamode wuss out and beg to avoid getting smacked, make sure everyone sees this, the real face of these shitnazis. With any luck they'll fade back into obscurity before folks need to start stomping, and that would be fantastic.

They get to choose to be a nazi, my neighbors don't get to choose to not be targeted by these fucks because of their skin color, but through a quirk of birth I somehow get to fly under their radar? Nah, even though I don't know the folks next door beyond saying hello or minor smalltalk, I've gotta default to backing the side which isn't choosing to support hateful bullshit.

Why do you think people become Nazis, Max?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10964 on: August 16, 2017, 09:14:05 pm »

Mostly ignorance, primarily of the willful kind.
Pages: 1 ... 729 730 [731] 732 733 ... 3566