Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 707 708 [709] 710 711 ... 3564

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4167106 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: D. C. on summer break
« Reply #10620 on: August 14, 2017, 10:01:48 am »

Cracked tends to be, well, coarser, than your usual mainstream media and they do entertainment stuff more than politics, but they're decent. The only thing remotely objectionable in the vid is something a Nixon adviser said.

What is the story behind that? Fictional, out of context???

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10621 on: August 14, 2017, 10:10:01 am »

Cracked tends to be, well, coarser, than your usual mainstream media and they do entertainment stuff more than politics, but they're decent. The only thing remotely objectionable in the vid is something a Nixon adviser said.

What is the story behind that? Fictional, out of context???

Behind what? The Nixon advisor quote?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10622 on: August 14, 2017, 10:17:00 am »

I meant that what the adviser said would be pretty controversial both back then and now. They were just using it to explain the mentality of the Nixon adminstration towards the War on Drugs back then.

And I meant 'remotely objectionable' in terms of Neoniveks concerns about posting the video, since that's the only part that would be controversial/objectionable. It's in the context of the Nixon adminstration anyway.

If he thought Cracked was the thing that's objectionable, it's fine as a source, it has it's fans and haters. I just know it as being mostly an entertainment type journalism thing.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 10:23:11 am by smjjames »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10623 on: August 14, 2017, 12:10:29 pm »

Saw a few flags at half mast today. Not sure if it's 'cause the obvious or not, but if it is it's nice to see the sentiment. Even if the POTUS ain't got much in the way of human decency, other folks manage.

E: ... though it did just strike me that if the london mayor hasn't done it yet, within the next day or five would be a real good time to bitchslap trump in the face with his own words.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 12:17:58 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10624 on: August 14, 2017, 01:04:35 pm »

E: ... though it did just strike me that if the london mayor hasn't done it yet, within the next day or five would be a real good time to bitchslap trump in the face with his own words.

No it would not. Making terrorists feel stupid and ignorant and subhuman and persecuted, however accurate the specific criticisms may be, only encourages them; ideologies do not grow to enable violent extremism without being able to metabolize animosity into a raison d'etre.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10625 on: August 14, 2017, 01:08:44 pm »

I doubt the London mayor would have any desire to get into a twitter fight with Trump anyway.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 01:27:55 pm by smjjames »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10626 on: August 14, 2017, 01:27:02 pm »

No it would not. Making terrorists feel stupid and ignorant and subhuman and persecuted, however accurate the specific criticisms may be, only encourages them; ideologies do not grow to enable violent extremism without being able to metabolize animosity into a raison d'etre.

Well THAT and it could cause a Left-Based Riot.

I think we have had ENOUGH anti-Trump riots for a while.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10627 on: August 14, 2017, 01:28:27 pm »

I doubt the London mayor would have any desire to get into a twitter fight with Trump anyway.

Pfft, Virginia Gov McAuliffes defense of the police response is that "the militia had better guns". That is just such a freaking cop out, pun intended.
It's also important to point out that there was literally a single small militia group there, two dozen guys at the absolute stretching it most.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10628 on: August 14, 2017, 01:30:54 pm »

Well THAT and it could cause a Left-Based Riot.

I think we have had ENOUGH anti-Trump riots for a while.

How would the London mayor bitchslapping Trump in the face with his own words cause a left-based riot?

Also, Pfft, Virginia Gov McAuliffes defense of the police response is that "the militia had better guns". That is just such a freaking cop out, pun intended.

Pfft, Virginia Gov McAuliffes defense of the police response is that "the militia had better guns". That is just such a freaking cop out, pun intended.
It's also important to point out that there was literally a single small militia group there, two dozen guys at the absolute stretching it most.

Heh, I erased it and was going to repost it into my response to neonivek. Anyways, yeah, such a massive copout.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10629 on: August 14, 2017, 02:50:45 pm »

How would the London mayor bitchslapping Trump in the face with his own words cause a left-based riot?
Because our local lefties like virtue signalling, which would create a protest. When the protests come, the riots follow. Facestabbings for everyone. Be a bit like the old London riots or Hamburg really

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10630 on: August 14, 2017, 04:42:23 pm »

http://www.gallup.com/poll/201617/gallup-daily-trump-job-approval.aspx
looks like approval just hit a new low, Impressive.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10632 on: August 14, 2017, 06:15:25 pm »

inb4 we hit 0% before the 2020, and he gets reelected anyway

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10633 on: August 14, 2017, 06:26:17 pm »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10634 on: August 14, 2017, 06:53:32 pm »

Can't say I think that's a good thing. Holding people accountable for their public behavior and espoused beliefs is good. Witch hunts are not. And I can't imagine the kind of bitterness and anger people losing their jobs over this will generate. Seems like the kind of thing that would push angry, possibly unstable people to do something rash and stupid and terrible.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 707 708 [709] 710 711 ... 3564