Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 691 692 [693] 694 695 ... 3564

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4169428 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: D. C. on summer break
« Reply #10380 on: August 12, 2017, 08:53:46 pm »

Cool. Now we have the first 885 to put against the wall.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10381 on: August 12, 2017, 08:55:29 pm »

Christ. I think I've met that guy.

Why the hell does this city only seem to make national news when Nazis are involved?

He's a known neo-nazi/white supremacist/white nationalist in your city?

No, the last time I remember Toledo making national news was the riots after a neo-nazi march about 10 years ago.

I think the guy's come into the place I work at or something, because I definitely remember seeing him before.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10382 on: August 12, 2017, 08:56:58 pm »

Or tried to make them all go in a certain direction. However it happened, sounds like the riot police screwed up whatever they were supposed to do.

Do we have an official statement that, indeed, that is how it occurred?

Not that I am doubtful it can occur (though I guess just by asking this... I am doubting it did occur O_o, but then again reasonable doubt and doubt are separate entities)... But lately quite a few police "Faux Pas" have been "reported" until it was found that... no it was proper procedure... and I want to get speculation out of the way.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 08:58:49 pm by Neonivek »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10383 on: August 12, 2017, 09:00:33 pm »

Christ. I think I've met that guy.

Why the hell does this city only seem to make national news when Nazis are involved?

He's a known neo-nazi/white supremacist/white nationalist in your city?

No, the last time I remember Toledo making national news was the riots after a neo-nazi march about 10 years ago.

I think the guy's come into the place I work at or something, because I definitely remember seeing him before.

Small world I suppose.....

Or tried to make them all go in a certain direction. However it happened, sounds like the riot police screwed up whatever they were supposed to do.

Do we have an official statement that, indeed, that is how it occurred?

Not that I am doubtful it can occur (though I guess just by asking this... I am doubting it did occur O_o, but then again reasonable doubt and doubt are separate entities)... But lately quite a few police "Faux Pas" have been "reported" until it was found that... no it was proper procedure... and I want to get speculation out of the way.

I don't think the officials would really want to admit publicly that they're responsible for forcing them into the clash. It's ancedotial, though playergamer said that he saw it on livestream.

edit: Are you SURE 'proper procedure' is to force them into conflict?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10384 on: August 12, 2017, 09:09:37 pm »

I was speaking in blanket terms.

There have been a FEW times recently when outrage towards how the police acted in a situation... was met with actual evidence that the police acted appropriately.

I don't think the officials would really want to admit publicly that they're responsible for forcing them into the clash.

They do that all the time. They usually try to shrug off the full BRUNT of the responsibility while also pushing it... and often it is due to public outrage... But still they do make statements.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10385 on: August 12, 2017, 09:15:04 pm »

I don't think the officials would really want to admit publicly that they're responsible for forcing them into the clash. It's ancedotial, though playergamer said that he saw it on livestream.

edit: Are you SURE 'proper procedure' is to force them into conflict?
... are you sure it's not?

Gods fuck but I'd like to think it wasn't, but this is also american police. Given the extent it's been noted white supremacists and similar shitheels have infiltrated our body of officers, even if it wasn't proper procedure it could have been entirely too goddamn intentional on their part anyway.

Probably "just" gross incompetence, to the extent the cops are to be blamed for anything that's happened today,* though. That and your standard degrees of concern when one of the groups involved are white and right-wing, anyway.

* Which is only so much, for what fairness is to be given. End of the day it wasn't them that decided to commit domestic terrorism/vehicular homicide, this time. Or beat people with lit torches. All the other shit.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10386 on: August 12, 2017, 09:18:33 pm »

There was a press conference a while ago, I don't know if they made any statements about it then.

Since playergamer saw it on a livestream, someone who saw the livestream might be able to give a better picture of how it happened.

From a bit of footage, it looked like the crowd simply got away from them, dunno. In general, it just sounds like the whole thing was chaotic.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10387 on: August 12, 2017, 10:13:16 pm »

Not going to watch most of it myself, but here's an hour of continuous video leading up to the vehicle attack, and 14 minutes following, from someone who was right next to the incident.  It's a Facebook link.  Did a quick search, and didn't find the same video elsewhere.

https://www.facebook.com/TheHill/videos/10155164288944087/

Warning:  Camera gets mostly covered up by the person's fingers in the moments when it's actually happening, but... the audio in this one is especially sickening and gives a better impression than the others I've seen of just how vicious this was.  The driver was moving at high speed and hitting people for a good distance before he was stopped by ramming into that other vehicle.  This other clips I've seen were right next to the impact, and you only get a good impression of that moment and the few people that were caught at the end.  This camera was a little further up from that.  You get a better look at just how much crowd he plowed through, and clearly hear all those bodies bouncing off his car as it's moving along.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10388 on: August 12, 2017, 10:16:51 pm »

I am NOT watching that!

I start to tear up when I watch protests where people fling harsh words...

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10389 on: August 13, 2017, 01:14:31 am »

Probably "just" gross incompetence, to the extent the cops are to be blamed for anything that's happened today,* though. That and your standard degrees of concern when one of the groups involved are white and right-wing, anyway.

* Which is only so much, for what fairness is to be given. End of the day it wasn't them that decided to commit domestic terrorism/vehicular homicide, this time. Or beat people with lit torches. All the other shit.

Even then, it seems a stretch to blame them from the vehicular homicide, unless they also directed cars toward one of the protests area.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10390 on: August 13, 2017, 01:21:50 am »

I know the presence of Swat themselves can cause people to riot...

But I don't hold it against Swat since... well... Imagine if a statistic came out that was "20% of all home invasions don't become violent if the police don't come"

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10391 on: August 13, 2017, 01:36:06 am »

I mean, that's kinda a fair point tho? It's worth considering the impact that has.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10392 on: August 13, 2017, 02:17:15 am »

I mean, that's kinda a fair point tho? It's worth considering the impact that has.

It is, buuuut, at the same time... If things do go south and the Swat aren't there...

It is a game of chicken essentially... but I stand by public security.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10394 on: August 13, 2017, 07:41:13 am »

... is. Is there actually a growing trend of people taking pictures of themselves besides painted rocks, and putting it on social media? Like. Is colored rock hide and seek a thing, now? Do I need to be ready to throw unpainted ones when some nut tries to bury a multicolored rock in my yard? Just how holy shit out of touch is this guy?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 691 692 [693] 694 695 ... 3564