Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 675 676 [677] 678 679 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4188478 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: D. C. on summer break
« Reply #10140 on: August 08, 2017, 09:26:31 pm »

Dont swallow the bait Neon.

It is a common tactic to discredit an undesired position; Claim it is not a true scottsman.

Neon's basic argument is that Male only dorms (frat houses) are being closed due to the notion that they are gender discriminatory, while female only dorms (Sorority houses) remain.

Neon pointed out that this is the case.  Class dismissed.

It was only one frat house according to Neonivek, I think.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10141 on: August 08, 2017, 09:39:22 pm »

Edit:  NM, whatever.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10142 on: August 08, 2017, 09:46:13 pm »

I don't know what happened! Are people really that interested in that case? I mean it was only an example to highlight double standards between perceived majorities and minorities.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10143 on: August 08, 2017, 09:54:21 pm »

Frat houses are being closed largely because they're wretched hives of scum and villainy, not because of gender exclusion. Most of the NCSU ones that I know of which have been shuttered in the last few years were due to underage drinking, drugs, rape/sexual assaults, and general douchebaggery.

But I'm less concerned about that right now than I am about Trump and KJU holding a nuclear dick-swinging contest.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10144 on: August 08, 2017, 10:00:21 pm »

The big thing that seems to be happening with fraternities is that the party frats are all going independent and spreading to students by social media, while university-affiliated ones are just business or religious clubs that formally have no social aspect.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10145 on: August 08, 2017, 10:01:16 pm »

I don't know what happened! Are people really that interested in that case? I mean it was only an example to highlight double standards between perceived majorities and minorities.

Oh, you've only heard of it ancedotially and don't have a news link or anything, okay.

Frat houses are being closed largely because they're wretched hives of scum and villainy, not because of gender exclusion. Most of the NCSU ones that I know of which have been shuttered in the last few years were due to underage drinking, drugs, rape/sexual assaults, and general douchebaggery.

Yeah, the entire 'Greek fraternity system' has been plagued by all of that. There's good ones that don't do all of that out there for sure, but it's apparently near impossible to get rid of the problems.

But I'm less concerned about that right now than I am about Trump and KJU holding a nuclear dick-swinging contest.

Agreed.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10146 on: August 08, 2017, 10:08:08 pm »

I guess I could fetch links... Do people want links?

There's good ones that don't do all of that out there for sure, but it's apparently near impossible to get rid of the problems.

I dunno... Apparently the actual issues with frats are outweighed by the outright... what is the word for irrational mass panic?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 10:11:34 pm by Neonivek »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10147 on: August 08, 2017, 10:09:37 pm »

I guess I could fetch links... Do people want links?

Nah, you don't really need to. The discussion was kind of going in circles a bit anyway.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10148 on: August 08, 2017, 10:13:06 pm »

The phrase you are looking for Neon is "Moral Panic"

Agreed on Glorious Leader's fixation on nuclear dildos being the more important issue.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10149 on: August 08, 2017, 10:36:08 pm »

What is interesting is that for once China is stepping back and going "WHOA! your on your own buddy"

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10150 on: August 08, 2017, 10:42:15 pm »

That really isn't (or shouldn't be) surprising. China is in an extremely bad geopolitical situation in regards to NK, and they don't have a win condition if things get violent. The only outcome that is good for China with things this close to exploding is Kim sitting down and shutting up.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10151 on: August 08, 2017, 10:44:16 pm »

That really isn't (or shouldn't be) surprising. China is in an extremely bad geopolitical situation in regards to NK, and they don't have a win condition if things get violent. The only outcome that is good for China with things this close to exploding is Kim sitting down and shutting up.

Yeah but they stuck with them for this long. What changed?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10152 on: August 08, 2017, 10:46:42 pm »

Trump is what changed, what with his bashing of China and ranting at them. Might have been a concession to try and look like they're doing something. Russia also joined in though. Plus things have been escalating a bit recently.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10153 on: August 08, 2017, 10:50:20 pm »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10154 on: August 08, 2017, 10:51:18 pm »

First, the US now has a lunatic that just might be willing to go head-to-head with their lunatic instead of trying for a slower but safer diplomatic or domestic solution to the problem.

Second, their lunatic has (or soon will have) the capability to actually hurt the US, making going head-to-head with their lunatic look like more like ripping off a band-aid by the day.

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 675 676 [677] 678 679 ... 3566