Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 674 675 [676] 677 678 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4190070 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: D. C. on summer break
« Reply #10125 on: August 08, 2017, 08:30:52 pm »

They bought the public rights to the street, so they could hypothetically charge for parking. Far cry from the houses or lots they sit on.

It is a good idea... Though I loathe how saturated paid parking has become where I live.

And you can't NOT have paid parking because people will just go out of their way to paid park where you are. It has become a sort of epidemic.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10126 on: August 08, 2017, 08:34:36 pm »

Well I am not sure I would be antagonistic towards a gated community. It isn't like there isn't a gated community for every race, sex, and denomination.
Ahahahahaha that's fucking horrible, we're segregated but we're all equally segregated
Fortunately it's not true so shit's not that fucked. It's actually more complicated than I'm shitposting

Our data shows that gated communities are significant contributors to segregation patterns at the local level, and that this trend has reinforced between 2000 and 2010. Our results are particularly significant, because they are counterintuitive when compared to general demographics. On average, segregation patterns in US southwestern metropolitan areas have slightly decreased, mostly because of more homogeneous settlement patterns of Hispanics and Latinos.
When we consider socioeconomic segregation (Factor 1, Whites vs. Hispanics. correlated with wealth and age status), this group has a social distance on average 1.5 times higher than between non-gated block groups. These trends are more accentuated in Phoenix, in San Francisco, Riverside-San Bernardino Ventura County.
That's the snippet, the full article is worth a read - gated communities can actually have little effect on social segregation in some cases, and if they entrench racial segregation it is mostly as an enclave of a homogeneous ethnicity existing within a larger homogeneous ethnic community, i.e. a gated enclave of rich white americans surrounded by a metropolitan area of white americans.

Mostly I'm shitposting because it's always funny to see plutocratic swpls argue that everyone is crazy for not having open borders since it hurts their economic dominance, before then entrenching themselves in ethnic enclaves guarded by security, gates and conspicuously opulent barriers. To then see such people get maximum capitalism'd by immigrants is like pottery, it rhymes
Plus I am antagonistic to gated communities in principle and in general already. It's a horrible idea for big city planning imo

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10127 on: August 08, 2017, 08:36:33 pm »

It is a fair observation.

we're segregated but we're all equally segregated

Well not really... But the arguments usually presented in favor of segregated gated communities apply to everyone...

And I am tired of seeing the gated communities of one group argue that the gated community of the other group is somehow uniquely bad.

For example the College Campus that shut down a Fraternity for not accepting women... So they sued the College for not only allowing Sororities (which they had a lot of) but also for having huge swaths of the campus locked off to men. (These men were criminally harassed by the community there because of this. So you can kind of tell what was actually going on)

Or rather I believe in a "You either accept all gated communities, or no gated communities... well outside outright criminal enterprise". If someone wants to make a Gated Community of only Belgium Super Models in their 40s, let them.
-Though there is an argument for gated communities in the case of societal violence and prejudice. Though "Systematic" is the laziest argument one can make.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 08:44:05 pm by Neonivek »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10128 on: August 08, 2017, 08:45:38 pm »

It is a fair observation.

we're segregated but we're all equally segregated

Well not really... But the arguments usually presented in favor of segregated gated communities apply to everyone...

And I am tired of seeing the gated communities of one group argue that the gated community of the other group is somehow uniquely bad.

For example the College Campus that shut down a Fraternity for not accepting women... So they sued the College for not only allowing Sororities (which they had a lot of) but also for having huge swaths of the campus locked off to men. (These men were criminally harassed by the community there because of this)

Or rather I believe in a "You either accept all gated communities, or no gated communities... well outside outright criminal enterprise". If someone wants to make a Gated Community of only Belgium Super Models in their 40s, let them.

Lol, that bit about claiming that huge swaths of the campus is blocked off to men (if it were a nunnery, maybe it'd make sense) sounds like "We're suing you because we can't go into womens bathrooms!".

Though there's also a difference between public sections and private sections like dorms.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10129 on: August 08, 2017, 08:46:12 pm »

Campuses are a weird one because they don't have large permanent individual residencies, and Universities have a tendency to inevitably form their own self-contained environments (being something that has been recorded since Unis were invented and the Byzantine Empire still existed). I mean more gated communities populated by permanent residents, rather than campuses which are populated by migratory herds of the humble student. At least until they're all bought for 90 dollarydoos

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10130 on: August 08, 2017, 08:56:08 pm »

Lol, that bit about claiming that huge swaths of the campus is blocked off to men (if it were a nunnery, maybe it'd make sense) sounds like "We're suing you because we can't go into womens bathrooms!".

Sounds like it...

But there are campuses that have entire "Female only" sections or wings. They have a lot of services that they often only make available to women, even if they aren't gender mutual.

It was more that they were showing the huge difference between how they are treating men, where they are shutting down men only dorms. Versus women who get female only dorms, female only sections, and female only services. That if they honestly believed that the fraternity was in anyway sexist that they would also have shut those down.

They didn't want access to those female sections... They just wanted to keep their fraternity because, well, not every guy wants women walking in on them in their underwear... and used these to support their case to keep it.

Campuses are a weird one because they don't have large permanent individual residencies, and Universities have a tendency to inevitably form their own self-contained environments (being something that has been recorded since Unis were invented and the Byzantine Empire still existed). I mean more gated communities populated by permanent residents, rather than campuses which are populated by migratory herds of the humble student. At least until they're all bought for 90 dollarydoos

It was an example of the same line of logic. Yet your right not the same situation.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 08:59:40 pm by Neonivek »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10131 on: August 08, 2017, 09:08:42 pm »

Sounds like it...

But there are campuses that have entire "Female only" sections or wings. They have a lot of services that they often only make available to women, even if they aren't gender mutual.

It was more that they were showing the huge difference between how they are treating men, where they are shutting down men only dorms. Versus women who get female only dorms, female only sections, and female only services. That if they honestly believed that the fraternity was in anyway sexist that they would also have shut those down.

They didn't want access to those female sections... They just wanted to keep their fraternity because, well, not every guy wants women walking in on them in their underwear... and used these to support their case to keep it.
(Emphasis added)
That's an extraordinary claim.  You don't have to support it, but if you do, people might believe it.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10132 on: August 08, 2017, 09:10:30 pm »

Well let me just do the bare minimum research and...

http://future.mcmaster.ca/student/residence/

Mind you I am probably making it seem a LOT more massive then it seems. Since some universities have HUGE wings and I doubt there are universities out there (well MAYBE) who have entire like... halves of the university dedicated to exclusively female students. The one I go to had relatively small wings.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 09:12:36 pm by Neonivek »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10133 on: August 08, 2017, 09:10:46 pm »

It's a common occurrence-- Previously disadvantaged group reaches parity with previously privileged group, still clings to disadvantaged status, demands (and gets, via cultural momentum) the privileged status, does not understand that they are now the privileged, still act like the disadvantaged.

Because having a V-J somehow makes you so much more vulnerable and needing of protection and special services than those with tallywhackers.

(Insert [disadvantaged group identifying characteristic] and [privileged group identifying characteristic] accordingly, and you have basically all such situations.)

EG:

Because those having [black skin] somehow makes you so much more vulnerable and needing protection and special services than those with [white skin].

The realization that aiming for higher than parity (the goal MLK and pals WANTED) results only in more racial animosity, claims of racism and reverse-racism, and who knows what all else, never seems to dawn on people.

Likewise with modern 3rd wave feminism, and their seemingly insane mad-dash for the return of the pedestal, and the resulting cries of misogyny, misandry, and general hysterics.

The gated community thing is more "Birds of a feather flock together", with the resulting cultural damage that unusual demographics (1% are naturally, 1% of the population) get misrepresented internally as the majority (All my friends are super wealthy, and so I have no conception at all what being a 99% is like! So, naturally, I act like a total douchebag all the time!).

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10134 on: August 08, 2017, 09:13:06 pm »

A female only residence doesn't make entire sections or wings of the campus.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10135 on: August 08, 2017, 09:13:28 pm »

It's a common occurrence-- Previously disadvantaged group reaches parity with previously privileged group, still clings to disadvantaged status, demands (and gets, via cultural momentum) the privileged status, does not understand that they are now the privileged, still act like the disadvantaged.
Because having a V-J somehow makes you so much more vulnerable and needing of protection and special services than those with tallywhackers.
(Insert [disadvantaged group identifying characteristic] and [privileged group identifying characteristic] accordingly, and you have basically all such situations.)
EG:
Because those having [black skin] somehow makes you so much more vulnerable and needing protection and special services than those with [white skin].
The realization that aiming for higher than parity (the goal MLK and pals WANTED) results only in more racial animosity, claims of racism and reverse-racism, and who knows what all else, never seems to dawn on people.
Likewise with modern 3rd wave feminism, and their seemingly insane mad-dash for the return of the pedestal, and the resulting cries of misogyny, misandry, and general hysterics.
Also you get shit where it's ok to institutionally discriminate against Asian Americans who've been historically discriminated against in the name of equality

wat

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10136 on: August 08, 2017, 09:14:31 pm »

There's housing that's female only!?? /s

Moments after I hit post, I started worrying that you'd come back with some women-only safe space stuff.  My post was...  not completely well considered.  Though you did say "sections or wings", I guess a room which is a safe-space in certain hours would qualify.
But oh gods, non-coed housing?  How horrifying and relevant to what I said!!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10137 on: August 08, 2017, 09:17:38 pm »

How horrifying and relevant to what I said

What exactly are you looking for?

A University with extensive female only sections and services?

Female Only Services in a University AND a university with a female only section beyond dorm?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 09:19:51 pm by Neonivek »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10138 on: August 08, 2017, 09:23:23 pm »

How horrifying and relevant to what I said

What exactly are you looking for?

A University with extensive female only sections and services?

Female Only Services in a University AND a university with a female only section beyond dorm?

What exactly were those fraternity guys talking about as far as 'entire sections and wings of the campus'? Theres some context missing here.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10139 on: August 08, 2017, 09:24:54 pm »

Dont swallow the bait Neon.

It is a common tactic to discredit an undesired position; Claim it is not a true scottsman.

Neon's basic argument is that Male only dorms (frat houses) are being closed due to the notion that they are gender discriminatory, while female only dorms (Sorority houses) remain.

Neon pointed out that this is the case.  Class dismissed.
Pages: 1 ... 674 675 [676] 677 678 ... 3566