Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 671 672 [673] 674 675 ... 3570

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4255279 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: D. C. on summer break
« Reply #10080 on: August 08, 2017, 12:38:58 pm »

That's a safe bet. If the United States is destroyed, your bank account will probably have ceased to exist. Can't lose on that bet.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Boatsniper

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep Moving Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #10081 on: August 08, 2017, 12:42:27 pm »

Can't lose a bet if your bank account ceases to exist.

*taps forehead*

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10082 on: August 08, 2017, 12:43:41 pm »

... in our lifetime, maybe. Yellowstone actually blows and the US would probably be just kinda' gone as a political entity, unless it turned out like some of the more optimistic projections (which'd still be a doozy, but less of one). So would a number of other things because of it but eh.

If it manages to avoid doing that, though, about the only way trump would manage it is if some kind of hyper plague developed in his bones, released years in the future as the corpse is accidentally exhumed by something or another. Probably should burn the body after he passes, just to be sure.

Not a bet I'd put money on, basically. Too much uncertainty involved.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10083 on: August 08, 2017, 01:01:09 pm »

If Yellowstone blew in the near future and it was a really major eruption, sure, a good chunk of the West and Midwest would pretty much be gone/buried in so much ash that they're impossible to live in, but the majority of the US lives outside of the outermost extent of where pyroclastic flows have historically reached (~Arkansas at its furthest).

There's an image on this wikipedia page that shows historical ash flows.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10084 on: August 08, 2017, 01:08:26 pm »

How about we don't try to screw up Strife's possible revenue streams?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10085 on: August 08, 2017, 01:09:18 pm »

Methinks the breadbasket of the US becoming an ash-choked wasteland overnight would have knock on effects for the rest of the country. Just saiyan.

How about we don't try to screw up Strife's possible revenue streams?

AMURICA STRONK
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10086 on: August 08, 2017, 01:10:48 pm »

Couldn't you just bore s hole in the crust to let some of the pressure out or something. For gods sake, you sent Bruce Willis to a comet. It can't be harder than that.
Love, scriver~

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10087 on: August 08, 2017, 01:12:59 pm »

Trump retweeted a Fox News story about North Korea which contained classified information leaked to the press.

Hey, Jeff Sessions! We found the guy! Lock him up!

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10088 on: August 08, 2017, 01:53:27 pm »

Trump retweeted a Fox News story about North Korea which contained classified information leaked to the press.

Hey, Jeff Sessions! We found the guy! Lock him up!

Yeah, lock up Fox News! (not actually serious). Seems that the classified/confidential leaks are quite independent of party.

Since staffers are known to talk on TV to try and talk to Trump, I wonder if someone who thought Trump wasn't paying attention to the stuff decided to leak it. It's a really terrible situation if that's actually the case, though still a bad thing that it got leaked in the first place.

Since it's no surprise that the US would have eyes on NK, it's classified in the sense of 'you don't know what we know'.

Also, in a separate leak to WaPo (CNN article though) NK has apparently developed nuclear warheads capable of being fitted onto missiles.

Now I'm really wondering if the leaks are some kind of whistleblowing or cry for help or something.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10089 on: August 08, 2017, 02:26:47 pm »

If Yellowstone blew in the near future and it was a really major eruption, sure, a good chunk of the West and Midwest would pretty much be gone/buried in so much ash that they're impossible to live in, but the majority of the US lives outside of the outermost extent of where pyroclastic flows have historically reached (~Arkansas at its furthest).

There's an image on this wikipedia page that shows historical ash flows.

Now, I'm no scientist, correct me if i'm wrong:

An eruption big enough to cover the entire western half of the united states in ash must also send a HUGE amount of detritus into the atmosphere, blocking a large portion of the incoming solar radiation/UV.

Not unlike the ice ages following major meteorite impacts which killed out life on earth X million years ago, this would probably cool earth off?

Perhaps America has been sitting on the answer to global warming this entire time?[/end pseudo scientist]
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10090 on: August 08, 2017, 02:32:23 pm »

One foot in a fire, one foot in liquid nitrogen.  On average, we'd be fine.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10091 on: August 08, 2017, 02:38:56 pm »

Couldn't you just bore s hole in the crust to let some of the pressure out or something. For gods sake, you sent Bruce Willis to a comet. It can't be harder than that.
IIRC that was considered at one point.  I think it was called off when someone in charge finally said 'holy shit what are we planning, we have no idea how to do this in a way that does not have a huge risk of just blowing the damn thing up early.'
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10092 on: August 08, 2017, 02:42:04 pm »

IIRC that was considered at one point.  I think it was called off when someone in charge finally said 'holy shit what are we planning, we have no idea how to do this in a way that does not have a huge risk of just blowing the damn thing up early.'

Plus if you do too many thermal boreholes the mind worms get real antsy.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10093 on: August 08, 2017, 02:51:27 pm »

So, Trump has done a public statement at NK saying: "North Korea best not make any more threats to he United States. They will be met with fire and fury like the world has never seen. They will be met with fire, fury and frankly power the likes of which the world has never seen."

Hard to tell if Trump didn't know about the intel and was responding to it live, or if he does know about the intel and just felt like he needed to do a public statement given that things got leaked.

Also, pretty damn strong rhetoric there. Hopefully things don't escalate.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 02:57:34 pm by smjjames »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10094 on: August 08, 2017, 03:08:55 pm »

This is the kind of running of his mouth I've been waiting for since he became president. When the leader of a 1st world nation starts saying shit like "fire and fury the likes of which the world has never seen", it tends to make leaders of other sovereign nations very nervous.

Partly I think that Trump believes NK is an easy target and he can exercise maximum bluster because they won't do anything about it, and get a little poll bump at home with his base for loudly declaring how he'd kill people. I have a feeling it won't go as he hoped it would.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 671 672 [673] 674 675 ... 3570