Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 670 671 [672] 673 674 ... 3570

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4255133 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: D. C. on summer break
« Reply #10065 on: August 07, 2017, 09:52:09 pm »

It took me mousing over the citation link to get what you meant as far as Hansen.

Also, this is Kennedy's campaign page. Certainly sounds like the guy might appeal to some conservatives.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10066 on: August 08, 2017, 12:17:29 am »

Judge Roy Moore has thrown his hat into the ring for the Alabama US Senate race. And gotten Chuck Norris's endorsement.  ::)

Looked at wiki and him going for the Alabama special election was back in April. It's basically an open seat, so, lots of people are scrambling to try and get that. If he wins, and he's polling really well against Luther Strange, he looks like he might go up against a Democrat who seems to be a complete and utter unknown.

Kind of looks like Democrats are taking some kind of leap of faith in a complete unknown, or as a protest vote of sorts to the party.

I'm in the range of the campaign ads starting to pop up, and Luther Strange is pushing hard on being a pro-Trump/pro-Trump policy candidate, which... doesn't surprise me isn't polling well for him. Trump still has his base, but he's running out of rope with traditional Republicans. I'm hearing a lot less defending of him and a lot more quiet resignation and claims that "Congress will figure things out."

Roy Moore, if not a shining example of anything, is at least something the traditional republican base will understand.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10067 on: August 08, 2017, 02:59:35 am »

Also, this is Kennedy's campaign page.
"We need your help. Please show your support by making a donation today!

$27.00 $54.00 $108.00 $216.00 $1,350.00 $2,700.00 OTHER"

So, I'm guessing there's an 8% tax, or something, on political donations... Nice to know they're determined to get the base 'rounded' value, regardless.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10068 on: August 08, 2017, 06:39:31 am »

UGH!!! This article goes on forever!

But basically this article is about the result of Trump backing out of the TPP on the Agriculture market and its many facets.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/08/07/trump-tpp-deal-withdrawal-trade-effects-215459

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10069 on: August 08, 2017, 08:43:34 am »

UGH!!! This article goes on forever!

But basically this article is about the result of Trump backing out of the TPP on the Agriculture market and its many facets.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/08/07/trump-tpp-deal-withdrawal-trade-effects-215459

I'm on the fence about that one...

On one hand, already oversubsidized farmers complaining about not being able to sell their over subsidized crops for a tax free profit overseas... on the other hand I know full well those subsidies don't apply to every farmer and food producer so it could hit some specific sectors fairly hard.

I'm also pretty harsh on farms that work the land too hard and overproduce just for the sort of profit they're looking for here. Gets into the cycle of having to over fertilize, over spray, and basically do a bunch of other shit that drains into the waterways and ruins the environment.

At the same time, we've driven down food prices (largely through those subsidies and free trade agreements) that farmers have a hard time making a living on the prices they can get. But low food prices are good because it means less people go hungry... and...

argh....

Basically, fuck the farmers in this case, fuck the farmers in some other cases, but I also have empathy for the plight of farmers, especially with regards to the ones who aren't owns by million+ acre agricorps.

We've reached an economic balance that we've been standing on for a while, but that's changing, and whether we like or or not, that balance is going to shift, and we're going to have to shift with it or fall. The agricultural side of TPP was just an effort to keep ahold of that balance point a little longer, but it's simply not sustainable. We may be looking at more expensive food in the future. Farmers may be looking at it being unprofitable to push all their land and methods to the absolute limits. I don't know the answer to all of this, it's a complex problem for something that starts as simple as "throw some seed on the ground and wait for it to grow." But the simple fact is, things are changing, and you either adapt, or you die (and hurt a lot of other people in the process of) trying to hold onto the old ways.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10070 on: August 08, 2017, 08:52:36 am »

Basically, fuck the farmers in this case, fuck the farmers in some other cases, but also make love to the farmers, passionately and selflessly
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10071 on: August 08, 2017, 09:42:00 am »

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10072 on: August 08, 2017, 11:18:08 am »

In other news, the sun rose today.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10073 on: August 08, 2017, 11:27:16 am »

And then was blotted out by some space object for a few minutes...

Wait, that's not until the 21st.

Let's take bets, what will Trump do on the 21st?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10074 on: August 08, 2017, 11:57:49 am »

And then was blotted out by some space object for a few minutes...

Wait, that's not until the 21st.

Let's take bets, what will Trump do on the 21st?
Either "My Presidency has already had more solar eclipses than any other President in history!"
-or-
"Illegal immigrants are stealing the sun! More proof that Obama did nothing to protect us! SAD!"

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10075 on: August 08, 2017, 12:05:50 pm »

Mexico has been bottling and selling the sun since 1899. Can't blame that on Obama, blame McKinley.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10076 on: August 08, 2017, 12:12:41 pm »

"How can we have global warming if the sun disappears regularly?"
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Boatsniper

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep Moving Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #10077 on: August 08, 2017, 12:21:23 pm »

What's going to destroy the United States first? Trump or Yellowstone?

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10078 on: August 08, 2017, 12:25:03 pm »

"How can we have global warming if the sun disappears regularly?"

we should land on the sun

at night

or with sunglasses on so it's dark.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10079 on: August 08, 2017, 12:32:59 pm »

What's going to destroy the United States first? Trump or Yellowstone?

I'll bet my bank account that neither is able to destroy the United States.
Even the avatars expire eventually.
Pages: 1 ... 670 671 [672] 673 674 ... 3570