Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 664 665 [666] 667 668 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4252428 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: The Russian shoe deepens
« Reply #9975 on: August 03, 2017, 09:51:45 pm »

And nobody knows how to play petty obstructionist politics better than the GOP. This could be the start of a beautiful friendship. I picture Schumer and McConnell getting together and finding ever more interesting ways to legislatively piss in 45's cornflakes. Hopefully calling on Biden from time to time, because nobody knows how to punk a bitch better than Uncle Joe, amirite?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9976 on: August 03, 2017, 10:37:42 pm »

Y'ain't entirely wrong, at least. Dunno how much I'd hope they'd bug biden, though. Get what you're getting at, but I'd probably be more comfortable if folks just kinda' left the guy alone, 'least until he decided to ramp things up again.

Fellow that outlives their kid could stand a year or two off, other circumstances allowing, y'know? Ain't gon' wish people mess with that if it ain't what the fellow wants.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9977 on: August 03, 2017, 10:58:10 pm »

As a few people have pointed out, the extremes that Trump has gone to already means there are really only two possibilities about these finances:

A. Trump is just irrationally protective of his financial status, possibly fueled by a belief in the myth of the Trump image that would be harmed if people could put a number on him.

B. There is something indicated by Trump's finances so utterly horrifying that the entire nation will turn against him and throw him out of the White House.

Honestly, I'm not even sure which is more likely. Reality isn't supposed to be very exciting, so it'd surely be A...but then, Trump has done things like admit to sexually harassing teenage beauty pageant models, let alone his actual business practices.

Probably more like somewhere in the middle, with things that could potentially hurt him politically, but 90-99% of it would just be embarrassing.

Barack me Obamadeus.

... in a bit of good (?) news, it looks like the senate took measures to stop trump from making any recess appointments while they're on summer break.

The vaguely interesting bit is that it was done by scheduling nine pro-forma sessions spaced out a few days each, little generally-sub-2-minute sessions...

... the scheduling of which requires unanimous consent from the senate.

For extra fun points, in this case doing so was presided over by one of the alaskan senators... both of which are republican. Might mean things are going to get spicier between POTUS and congress, ehehe or, well, that the senate critters are getting fed up enough with his shit so far as taking a dump on their numbers that they're gearing up to start putting more than verbal condemnation behind their reaction to it

The Democrats were actually planning on doing it regardless. Then when Trump ramped up his beatdown on Sessions (that seems to have cooled off though?) and started talking about replacing him, Republicans started saying "no, just no, we are not going to let you use a recess appointment to replace Sessions, and btw, we are not planning on doing AG confirmation stuff before the end of the year" and joined the Democrats on it.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9978 on: August 03, 2017, 11:15:56 pm »

You mentioned that this push came from an Alaskan senator?  Do you know which?  As I recall, the Republican conflict involving one of them got rather fratricidal a few years back.  Lisa Murkowski was forced to run in 2010 as an write-in candidate against a Tea Partier (Joe Miller) after losing the party nomination and trounced both her Republican opponent as well as the Democratic opponent.  Miller challenged the results in a prolonged series of three lawsuits that were ultimately ruled by the state as being more interested in securing his own victory than upholding the constitution.  Miller went on to challenge the other Alaskan senator as a Republican in the 2014 primary, again losing.  Finally, he went up against Murkowski again in the 2016 elections after he defected to the Libertarians (but still kept all of his Republican positions, including open support for Trump and policies on abortion and same-sex marriage).  You'll notice that Murkowski's name came up a lot earlier in this thread during the health care votes as one of the Republicans who opposed Repeal and Replace as well as the skinny bill, and even earlier in opposition to DeVos.  While she wasn't a fan of the ACA originally and some of her other positions are mainstream Republican, she's not a Trumper by any measure, so it wouldn't surprise me if she was the one who fronted this measure. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 11:18:06 pm by Culise »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9979 on: August 03, 2017, 11:36:08 pm »

Yep, it was Murkowski.

Not surprising given her resistance on the healthcare stuff and how the WH tried to have Zinke (Department of Interior secretary) intimidate the two Alaskan Senators into voting yes on the healthcare stuff.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9980 on: August 03, 2017, 11:38:01 pm »

At least he will always be our first official meme president, whatever else happens.
Our first meme President? Gee, thanks Obama.

I said official meme president. Even GW Bush had memes. Donald Trump however is a living, talking embodiment of a presidential meme.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9981 on: August 03, 2017, 11:42:06 pm »

At least he will always be our first official meme president, whatever else happens.

I said official meme president. Even GW Bush had memes. Donald Trump however is a living, talking embodiment of a presidential meme.

So did Eisenhower, if you'd call the "I like Ike" thing a meme.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9982 on: August 03, 2017, 11:45:20 pm »

So did Eisenhower, if you'd call the "I like Ike" thing a meme.

It is, but there's a pretty big tonal gap between I Like Ike, and Thanks Obama or the entire Trump presidency.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9983 on: August 03, 2017, 11:52:37 pm »

Even GW Bush had memes.

I'll never forget "I can't hear you 'cuz I can't see!"
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9984 on: August 04, 2017, 12:05:29 am »

Even GW Bush had memes.

I'll never forget "I can't hear you 'cuz I can't see!"

I don't remember that one....

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9985 on: August 04, 2017, 12:24:08 am »

I remember the... storybook, I think. The upside down storybook. Can't particularly recall the surrounding faffery, but it stuck a bit for one reason or another.

Also that mission accomplished thing, or whatever it was. That popped up as reaction pic style stuff for a few years, iirc. Still see it every once in a long while...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9986 on: August 04, 2017, 01:35:24 am »

In hindsight, perhaps Bush was prophetic rather than buffoonish when he said “Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.”
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9987 on: August 04, 2017, 01:47:15 am »

I remember the... storybook, I think. The upside down storybook. Can't particularly recall the surrounding faffery, but it stuck a bit for one reason or another.

Also that mission accomplished thing, or whatever it was. That popped up as reaction pic style stuff for a few years, iirc. Still see it every once in a long while...
You forgot Poland.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9988 on: August 04, 2017, 02:17:24 am »

You forgot "You forgot Poland."

FTFY

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9989 on: August 04, 2017, 03:14:05 am »

DANG IT TRUMP!

Just as I was feeling bad for ousting you as a racist for not knowing any better... You go ahead and do... a thing 7 months ago in the past.

THEN AGAIN... maybe the difference is that I am more defensive of people who are called racist for believing controversial things versus someone who is actually making policy based on it.

>_< Though I've never heard of Australian stereotypes...

---

Also I keep forgetting how much Donald Trump acts like the most suspicious person in the universe.

It is getting to the point where I honestly think the worst case scenario for Trump's ego would be if he really was innocent and just wasted everyone's arms with his constant baiting.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 03:28:22 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 664 665 [666] 667 668 ... 3569