Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 662 663 [664] 665 666 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4252358 times)

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: The Russian shoe deepens
« Reply #9945 on: August 03, 2017, 12:53:49 pm »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9946 on: August 03, 2017, 01:20:57 pm »

Yeah, the only thing they really reveal is that the CIA really bungled actually keeping track of the guy and what he was up to beforehand. The only thing the CIA covered up was how badly they fucked up, which is par for the course.

There was also some worry about how it'd appear if Oswald's motives were direct retaliation of the CIA's attempts to assassinate Castro. Still one more batch of documents to be released in October anyway and this batch is by no means picked through completely yet but on the surface nothing TRULY surprising.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9947 on: August 03, 2017, 01:48:43 pm »

Quote from: Trump
It is you and I against the world, Enrique, do not forget.

What a piece of shit. Treat Mexico like a whipping boy in public and suck the president's dick in private.

Not exactly thrilled with Mexico's willingness to stand up for itself either.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9948 on: August 03, 2017, 02:04:51 pm »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/politics/australia-mexico-transcripts/?utm_term=.13824b4bd055

Transcripts of some of Trumps calls were released.

Man, that is some cringe-y reading, especially with Turnbull. 45 gets so wound up worrying about the optics that he doesn't even listen to what Turnbull is saying.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9949 on: August 03, 2017, 02:11:00 pm »

Christ, this makes me feel worse about world leaders in general. Trump's side of this was trash, but look at the way Turnbull talks while Trump is freaking out. "Thank you, thank you, yes commitment, yes, agree" fuck you, fucking conduct actual diplomacy or don't but don't pretend in a private phone call like you're doing something.

I bet Kennedy and Khrushchev didn't spend ten minutes spewing shit at each other. What, are brass tacks now extinct or something?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9950 on: August 03, 2017, 02:12:56 pm »

Hey, neat. Apparently some of the JFK assassination stuff got declassified/released/something-cause-I-haven't-actually-read-the-article-and-to-be-honest-probably-won't. Least looking at other folks talking about it, it seems like there's some interesting stuff in 'em.
Ctrl-F Cruz? ;)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9951 on: August 03, 2017, 02:15:36 pm »

Hey, neat. Apparently some of the JFK assassination stuff got declassified/released/something-cause-I-haven't-actually-read-the-article-and-to-be-honest-probably-won't. Least looking at other folks talking about it, it seems like there's some interesting stuff in 'em.
Ctrl-F Cruz? ;)
This conspiracy theory about Rafael Cruz assisting in the assassination of JFK is nothing more than a convenient smokescreen to distract the public from the mounting evidence of Ted Cruz's heinous crimes as the Zodiac Killer.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9952 on: August 03, 2017, 02:28:55 pm »

Christ, this makes me feel worse about world leaders in general. Trump's side of this was trash, but look at the way Turnbull talks while Trump is freaking out. "Thank you, thank you, yes commitment, yes, agree" fuck you, fucking conduct actual diplomacy or don't but don't pretend in a private phone call like you're doing something.

I bet Kennedy and Khrushchev didn't spend ten minutes spewing shit at each other. What, are brass tacks now extinct or something?

Kennedy and Khrushchev notoriously had a hard time communicating. Part of why the Cuban Missile Crisis escalated to the level it did. Came to a point where it was easier to communicate by releasing info to the press and waiting for it to show up on TV news than it was for any official direct communication to occur. That's why the "Hotline" was created.... however the first official use of said hotline was regarding the JFK assassination.

I'm not sure what they might have been spewing at each other. But it generally took at least 6 hours to get there, and at least another 6 hours for a reply to come back.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9953 on: August 03, 2017, 02:31:08 pm »

True,, it would have been gratifying if Turnbull had just said, "Oi! Shithead! I made a deal with the last bloke, and you betta be ready to pony up! I'll fucking cut u m8. You think I'm scared of you? I'm a motherfucking Aussie mate! We have scarier shit than you as house pets."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9954 on: August 03, 2017, 02:31:44 pm »

Kennedy and Khrushchev notoriously had a hard time communicating. Part of why the Cuban Missile Crisis escalated to the level it did. Came to a point where it was easier to communicate by releasing info to the press and waiting for it to show up on TV news than it was for any official direct communication to occur. That's why the "Hotline" was created.... however the first official use of said hotline was regarding the JFK assassination.

I'm not sure what they might have been spewing at each other. But it generally took at least 6 hours to get there, and at least another 6 hours for a reply to come back.
And yet I ask you: In spite of all that, do you think that Trump could have averted the Cuban Missile Crisis with modern and direct communication? It's the substance I'm concerned with. If anything, our continued existence shows that they had very substantial communication in spite of a ridiculous method.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9955 on: August 03, 2017, 02:49:59 pm »

Trump avert the cuban missile crisis? Not a chance in hell. It might still not have gone hot, but it wouldn't have been because of 'im.

But, as is constantly worth repeating, trump is not <insert former president> or <insert current leader dealing with trump>. That everything he's involved with seems rather like a pile of shit says more about him than most other things lumped in whatever it is with him.

E: In unrelated news, if you happened to want to actually hear the breakdown that got minuteman scallopboy kicked out of comms before he was actually hired, the New Yorker looks to have now released the actual recording.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 02:54:21 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9956 on: August 03, 2017, 02:54:20 pm »

And yet I ask you: In spite of all that, do you think that Trump could have averted the Cuban Missile Crisis with modern and direct communication? It's the substance I'm concerned with. If anything, our continued existence shows that they had very substantial communication in spite of a ridiculous method.

Hard comparison to make. Trump being Trump probably would have let the missiles sit in Cuba and not done much about it. And from one perspective.... why not? It's not as if there weren't hundreds of other missiles just as capable of hitting the US.

I'm not saying that's the right decision, and I'm not saying it would have ended peacefully either. But an argument can be made that strategically the Cuban missiles didn't mean much at all. It was simply posturing to put them there and posturing from Kennedy to get them removed.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9957 on: August 03, 2017, 03:05:38 pm »

On the phone transcripts:
Quote from: Turnbull
...this is a big deal, I think we should respect deals.
Who made the deal? Obama?
...amazingly transparent.

Then:
...And now I am agreeing to take 2,000 people and I agree I can vet them, but that puts me in a bad position. It makes me look so bad and I have only been here a week.
With great respect, that is not right – It is not 2,000.
Well, it is close. I have also heard like 5,000 as well.
The given number in the agreement is 1,250 and it is entirely a matter of your vetting. ...
He just believes his own hype. (Or whoever's hype it was is who last managed to guide him).

I've not so much knowledge of Aussie politics (we hear about rough patches, obviously, and I try to remember who is what and why) but I must say that I feel that this transcript should make a drift upwards in Turnbull popularity, or at least competence. e.g. Those against the boats can see he is still against the boats, those (not vehemently) against the detention can see he's not personally against the people.

I will be seen as a weak and ineffective leader in my first week by these people. This is a killer.
Trump is worried that people who understand realities as little as he apparently does willl blame him. I have no hesitation in identifying them as his core supporters. No wonder he's so desperate to get rid of the 'problem'.  It's obvious Turnbull is saying "take some people who look whiter-than-white" (in whatever sense) "send us a greater number of 'Bad Hombres', in your own words,"  (that Turnbull's countrymen will largely realise is Trumpspeak, so few negatives there) "and you will benefit." But he's just not drinking the water to which he has been led.  Very revealing, his half-track mind.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9958 on: August 03, 2017, 04:27:07 pm »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/politics/australia-mexico-transcripts/?utm_term=.13824b4bd055

Transcripts of some of Trumps calls were released.

Man, that is some cringe-y reading, especially with Turnbull. 45 gets so wound up worrying about the optics that he doesn't even listen to what Turnbull is saying.

To be fair, Turnbull is kinda a dope too, given his whole "no, fuck what you say about the laws of mathematics making encryption work, here in oz we follow the laws of oz, nobody sees the wizard, not no how!" schtick.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9959 on: August 03, 2017, 04:37:51 pm »

Turnbull's in a bit of a weird position in that most of his party are more conservative than him & he made a lot of deals to hold on to most of the ultra-conservative policy from Abbot before him. Half the time he's defending positions that are different from his own personal opinions.
Pages: 1 ... 662 663 [664] 665 666 ... 3569