Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 659 660 [661] 662 663 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4249317 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: The Russian shoe deepens
« Reply #9900 on: August 02, 2017, 01:14:08 pm »

Other stuff, too! Kill the visa lottery, preference english speaking immigrants, bar most non-immediate family from having some extra support for joining their immigrated loved ones, some other things, buncha' junk really. And it only has to get 8 non-GOP members (or more, if some of the GOP senators say sod that) to vote for it to pass.

That sound you hear in the distance may be the sound of one pro-immigration senator or another laughing.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9901 on: August 02, 2017, 01:21:59 pm »

Backlog of 520000 cases backed up.
This is vomit inducing

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9902 on: August 02, 2017, 01:41:16 pm »

That shit is why both sides are using the phrase "comprehensive immigration reform."  Not that its ever going to happen while Trump is president.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9903 on: August 02, 2017, 01:45:11 pm »

... hell, depending on where the cut hit, it might actually slow things down. Wrong chunks of institutional expertise get excised and the effect of the loss is more than just linear.
Ask not!
Ask!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9904 on: August 02, 2017, 02:22:45 pm »

Looking at his ratings, you can see that Trump stays relatively consistent in the polls until something occurs, at which point he enters another notch down before leveling out again.

It would appear that we're in the middle of yet another Trump favorability descent. Dunno where this one will level out.

I actually started noticing it over the weekend or within the last few days. Looking at 538, it sort of looks like the longer term Qunnipiac is what dropped it down. Whether it's a blip or not remains to be seen.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9905 on: August 02, 2017, 02:23:49 pm »

The dip started a few days ago, so it seems unlikely it was Trump Jr.  Its almost certainly a result of the Scaramucci debacle.

Doesn't surprise me to be honest.  The Mooch seems like the kind of guy that a lot of Trump voters would get behind, except he immediately frontstabbed Trump by getting in a fight with several notable Trump figures.  Seems like an easy way to make some bad press in the conservative news sphere.  The fact that Trump seemed sort of powerless and disconnected during the whole thing is a bonus.  "No WH chaos" indeed.  He fired both Scaramucci and Priebus, while not defending Banon.  This seems like a huge mistep to me, he hasn't given his supporters any clear narrative for what happened the past couple weeks and that has to be very frustrating.  The fact that Scaramucci is vaguely likable (in an movie villain kind of way), and has the whole tragic story of supporting Trump so much he got divorced by his wife... yeah.

His chase after Jeff Sessions could be a secondary culprit.  Jeff Sessions was a prominent anti-immigration figure in congress and apparently conservative politicians respect him.  I'm told that Sessions giving Trump the thumbs up early in the campaign gave him legitimacy and jump started the whole thing.  I don't know how much the Republican on the street cares about this, but Republican congressmen are apparently super peeved and protective of Sessions.  That might be souring Trumps' approval rating somehow.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9906 on: August 02, 2017, 02:33:30 pm »

Well, a whole bunch of stuff happened in the past 3 to 5 (depending on the poll, some are over a longer period of time) days, so, might be hard to pin it on any single event.

Conservative news sites and radio personalities have recently been starting to distance themselves from Trump, so, we're likely starting to see some of that.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9907 on: August 02, 2017, 03:00:26 pm »

Well, a whole bunch of stuff happened in the past 3 to 5 (depending on the poll, some are over a longer period of time) days, so, might be hard to pin it on any single event.

Conservative news sites and radio personalities have recently been starting to distance themselves from Trump, so, we're likely starting to see some of that.

The fallout from the repeal fail is still coming in, too.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9908 on: August 02, 2017, 03:26:37 pm »

They're all just tired from so much winning.

SO MUCH

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9909 on: August 02, 2017, 04:38:25 pm »

Anything in place? I see a lot of sites saying "merit-based immigration laws" but nothing with what's actually going in.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9910 on: August 02, 2017, 04:41:55 pm »

It is probably more that approval ratings aren't like a videogame where continuously doing crazy crud keeps lowering it.

Trump has lost the confidence of just about anyone who could lose confidence in him for doing crazy stuff.

If Trump wants to go lower in approval ratings he has to do something different... or you know have one of the investigations on him actually return a verdict.

Anything in place? I see a lot of sites saying "merit-based immigration laws" but nothing with what's actually going in.

Well that FEELS like a loaded term... I mean Canada I guess has that if I were to judge ONLY by what the word seems to mean on the surface.

Yet for all I know "Merit-based immigration laws" will turn out to be like... "Do you like President Trump? Sorry, only trump lovers for the USA" (sorry I will never get over that :P)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 04:44:54 pm by Neonivek »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9911 on: August 02, 2017, 04:46:37 pm »

It's something that's still being constructed by Sen Cotton and Perdue. Though apparently it's supposed to face long odds as people from both parties have voiced skepticsm on it.

Given the busy schedule coming up for Congress, I don't see them getting to it until sometime well after October.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9912 on: August 02, 2017, 04:58:10 pm »

US sort of already have merit based immigration through the H1-B program and the Employment based Visa program.

Granted, none of that is easy and you generally have to have an "in" already in the country that's willing to work their ass off to get you here. But it is another path that's based more based on "merit" at least than the lottery system is.

This is all ignoring the fact that one of Trump's first things he did in office was to shit all over the H1-B program. (One of the few things I didn't entirely hate about that initial flurry of executive orders, being honest.) If he's suggesting we simply need MORE H1-B style immigrants... well... I have to question whether his memory is that short or if he was never serious about shitting on H1-B and just giving lip service to his base while planning on bringing it back, bigger and under a different name 6 months later.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9913 on: August 02, 2017, 05:30:24 pm »

This seems to be the latest bit. Direct from the congress website. If that ain't the latest, it's at the very least the starting point propositions being put forward.

The thing specifically being aimed at, this time, is called the RAISE Act... pretty sure it was mentioned upthread a bit. Searching that may give you better results for finding somethin' more focused on specifics.

E: As near as a quick skim can parse, it could alternately be titled the "Fuck the Immigration and Nationality Act Act". The bill itself summarizes its contents as
To amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to eliminate the Diversity Visa Program, to limit the President’s discretion in setting the number of refugees admitted annually to the United States, to reduce the number of family-sponsored immigrants, to create a new nonimmigrant classification for the parents of adult United States citizens, and for other purposes.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 05:38:06 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9914 on: August 02, 2017, 05:52:51 pm »

This seems to be the latest bit. Direct from the congress website. If that ain't the latest, it's at the very least the starting point propositions being put forward.

The thing specifically being aimed at, this time, is called the RAISE Act... pretty sure it was mentioned upthread a bit. Searching that may give you better results for finding somethin' more focused on specifics.

E: As near as a quick skim can parse, it could alternately be titled the "Fuck the Immigration and Nationality Act Act". The bill itself summarizes its contents as
To amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to eliminate the Diversity Visa Program, to limit the President’s discretion in setting the number of refugees admitted annually to the United States, to reduce the number of family-sponsored immigrants, to create a new nonimmigrant classification for the parents of adult United States citizens, and for other purposes.

That last bit sounds suspiciously like what a lot of conservatives (and likely some liberals too) decried as Amnesty. Doesn't sound like a 'merit-based immigration system' either. Trump admin is pulling words out of it's ass most likely.

Also, Russia says that Trump signing sanctions shows 'total weakness'. :P Pretty boilerplate response probably. Trump did sign it, but basically went "I'm gonna use my right to have an opinion and say, 'bleep you!'"
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 05:55:55 pm by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 659 660 [661] 662 663 ... 3569