Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 619 620 [621] 622 623 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4243874 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: The Russian shoe deepens
« Reply #9300 on: July 19, 2017, 07:20:35 pm »

Can someone interpret what Sheb's post means?

I don't understand the implication.

Is Trump complaining that Mr. Session's attempt at manipulation has prevented Trump's attempt at manipulation?

More like Session's attempt to avoid the appearance of manipulation. Also sounds like if Sessions never recused himself, there wouldn't be a special prosecutor, according to Trump. Basically it just sounds like Trump is angry about not being able to do whatever he wants. Or maybe he is frustrated with the meddling that happened, getting in the way of everything. And apparently he warned Mueller about something. In all, he's just being angry and lashing out.

Also, Sen. McCain has been diagnosed with an aggressive type of brain cancer, the same type Sen. Ted Kennedy had apparently. Not to make light of his medical emergency, but it is INCREDIBLY ironic that a medical emergency held up the healthcare thing.

edit: Ninja'd on the brain cancer, and yeah that is horrible.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9301 on: July 19, 2017, 07:34:29 pm »

You'd be right on the political implications since McCain could be out of commission for months, though he is certainly a tough old dude. Article on it btw: http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/19/health/gupta-mccain-glioblastoma/index.html?adkey=bn

In the short term, there are definetly going to be political problems, however in the mid-long term, if he chooses to resign (seriously doubt it, given who he is), the Governor is a Republican, so, if a temporary person is appointed (not sure what method Arizona uses, some states have special elections, some are appointed), they'll guaranteed to be Republican.

Everything that I've read about him and what his friends have said is that he is quite the fighter and is pretty active, so, I don't see him resigning until he absolutely feels like he can't do things anymore.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 07:36:36 pm by smjjames »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9302 on: July 19, 2017, 07:35:18 pm »

A really terrible thing, and I hope that he spends the remainder of his time with his family and loved ones.

...which, on a political note, has some rather grave implications for the Republican party in the Senate. It leaves them with only 51 votes. Two dissenting Republicans does not mean a tie anymore- it means a loss. Assuming, of course, that McCain resigns, which I can't imagine him not doing at this point given the dire prognosis.

You give McCain the wrong amount of credit. He's a life long politician. I don't think he'll resign over a little thing like this unless he can't physically make it to Washington anymore.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9303 on: July 19, 2017, 07:37:22 pm »

Arizona uses gubernatorial appointments, but not only that, it is state law that appointees have to be of the same political party.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9304 on: July 19, 2017, 07:47:42 pm »

...yeah, reading more on it, I don't see a resignation any time soon. I didn't realize that they caught it so early.

I like to imagine he got a brain scan just to check if he got any dumber around Trump.

(Sorry that is the best joke I could think of. Trump supporters don't worry it is a baseless joke)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9305 on: July 19, 2017, 07:48:20 pm »

It was detected during an operation to remove a blood clot.  Report sounds pretty confident.  That being said glioblastoma is very bad news and usually comes back even if removed once.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 07:50:46 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9306 on: July 19, 2017, 07:49:54 pm »

It was detected during an operation to remove a blood clot.  Report sounds pretty confident.

I am glad. I don't want anyone hurt, even Trump.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9307 on: July 19, 2017, 07:53:47 pm »

You give McCain the wrong amount of credit. He's a life long politician. I don't think he'll resign over a little thing like this unless he can't physically make it to Washington anymore.

That's normal no matter what walk of life or career you come from. Everyone I've known with major conditions such as cancer want to keep their routine as much as possible. It's good for coping.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9308 on: July 19, 2017, 08:54:38 pm »

It was detected during an operation to remove a blood clot.  Report sounds pretty confident.  That being said glioblastoma is very bad news and usually comes back even if removed once.
Not to put too fine a point on it, but... The dudes 80 years old. How soon does it have to come back for that to matter?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9309 on: July 19, 2017, 09:18:47 pm »

Even with treatment it's a two or three years kind of deal.  McCain is the eat a bowl of nails for breakfast type and probably had well more than that in him.
Shoes...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9310 on: July 19, 2017, 09:21:10 pm »

In retrospect, this makes McCain acting like a weirdo during that one questions session very unfortunate.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9311 on: July 19, 2017, 09:36:05 pm »

In retrospect, this makes McCain acting like a weirdo during that one questions session very unfortunate.

Most likely not really as I saw that someone said that the tumor had likely been there for maybe a week or two, and the tumor wasn't anywhere near speech related areas.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9312 on: July 19, 2017, 10:24:13 pm »

If that's the case maybe he'll be fine.  I mean he'll still look like a catcher's mitt full of yellow chiclets but what politician doesn't.
Shoes...

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9313 on: July 20, 2017, 01:53:14 am »

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9314 on: July 20, 2017, 01:56:37 am »

meep meep
Pages: 1 ... 619 620 [621] 622 623 ... 3569