Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 615 616 [617] 618 619 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4244373 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: The Russian shoe deepens
« Reply #9240 on: July 17, 2017, 07:46:50 pm »

I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9241 on: July 17, 2017, 07:48:13 pm »

Was thinking processed stuff instead of just that, but yeah, that's an even better one. Bloody hell how unaware can you get? Death Valley ice cream vendors?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9242 on: July 17, 2017, 07:49:54 pm »

Georgia is peaches. That's not even hard. It's on all their logos. It's almost as famous as Florida oranges. I didn't even have to google it.

How incompetent can a person be?
We will find out.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9243 on: July 17, 2017, 07:50:45 pm »

I'm not surprised that they half-assed it, probably did it on short notice too. Also, Caterpillar and Campbell (soup) are big companies, you'd think the focus would be on small companies since thats arguably the kind of thing that his supporters would, well, want to support.

Now I'm curious though....

Funny you mention Caterpillar...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caterpillar_Inc.#Manufacturing

51 factories in the US. 59 Overseas. And guess what, they just got done closing a ton of US factories in 2015. More employees are based outside the US than in and that seems to be a trend that's been happening since the 1990s.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9244 on: July 17, 2017, 07:53:21 pm »

I'm curious why they didn't have cheese (or dairy in general) for Wisconsin. I mean I, personally, don't think of fire engines when I think of Wisconsin.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9245 on: July 17, 2017, 07:53:46 pm »

"Alaska Bowl company" is actually Great Alaska Bowl company. They can't even get the name right.

Boise Cascade Company is wood construction materials, not just floors.

St. Pierre Manufacturing Corporation: The google lookup says horseshoes, but their website shows loads more than that.

Ames is a department store for landscaping and gardening stuff, not a manufacturer, I think.

Obviously they could have done better, but what else did we expect. :P

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9246 on: July 17, 2017, 07:58:09 pm »

Ames is a department store for landscaping and gardening stuff, not a manufacturer, I think.

The list is referring to a Ames True Temper, not the long-extinct store.

Most of the brands I recognize on here have a strong right-wing history. which was probably the primary criteria for selection.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 08:00:14 pm by Lord Shonus »
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9247 on: July 17, 2017, 08:03:00 pm »

I'm not surprised that they half-assed it, probably did it on short notice too. Also, Caterpillar and Campbell (soup) are big companies, you'd think the focus would be on small companies since thats arguably the kind of thing that his supporters would, well, want to support.

51 factories in the US. 59 Overseas. And guess what, they just got done closing a ton of US factories in 2015. More employees are based outside the US than in and that seems to be a trend that's been happening since the 1990s.

Ironic that they'd pick a company that's been outsourcing and moving things out of country when the focus is ' 100% Made in America'.

edit:The healthcare bill (well, the motion to move to the next step anyway) is now dead for sure. Wasn't Mike Lee the senator that worked with Ted Cruz on that Cruz-Lee amendment?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 08:15:29 pm by smjjames »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9248 on: July 17, 2017, 08:10:40 pm »

Fun little note about caterpillar, actually. Them and their 'nam branch are apparently one of the larger beneficiaries of the vietnam trade deal crowed about earlier this year. Not only are they outsourcing, the president straight up put his name behind getting them business in another country :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9249 on: July 17, 2017, 08:19:22 pm »

Ironic that they'd pick a company that's been outsourcing and moving things out of country when the focus is ' 100% Made in America'.

edit:The healthcare bill (well, the motion to move to the next step anyway) is now dead for sure. Wasn't Mike Lee the senator that worked with Ted Cruz on that Cruz-Lee amendment?
It was inevitable.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9250 on: July 17, 2017, 08:23:53 pm »

Even if it got to debate, it was unlikely to get much further. Portman (R- Ohio) has taken a pretty negative tone about it in the newsletter he keeps spamming me with, although he was willing to let it proceed to open debate in the hopes of getting the Medicaid issue resolved.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9251 on: July 17, 2017, 08:34:06 pm »

I suppose the next step they might do is a straight up repeal (which is closer to what the House did), but that could be even harder because McConnell reportedly doesn't want to do it without a replacement plan available, and some of the more moderate Republicans are of the same or similar mindset.

Also, Moran is like "it'll de-evolve into a single payer program" like it's a bad thing. Though, it turning into a single payer program through dysfunction isn't exactly a good thing either because it'll need to function well.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 08:37:08 pm by smjjames »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9252 on: July 17, 2017, 08:38:59 pm »

I get the impression they didn't care about Medicare they just wanted to look like they were doing something.

Since they seemed to, at least after the first time, done everything in their power to ensure that it would be dead in the water.

STOP ADOPTING TRUMP'S PLAYBOOK!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9253 on: July 17, 2017, 08:45:36 pm »

Also, Moran is like "it'll de-evolve into a single payer program" like it's a bad thing. Though, it turning into a single payer program through dysfunction isn't exactly a good thing either because it'll need to function well.

If you look at the full quote, he explains why he considers that a bad thing.

Furthermore, if we leave the federal government in control of everyday healthcare decisions, it is more likely that our healthcare system will devolve into a single-payer system, which would require a massive federal spending increase,"

Moran opposes going to a single-payer system because it would be extremely expensive.

You can argue that that is a bad reason. I would agree with you. You could argue that he's wrong, and such a system would be only moderately more expensive at the government level or outright cheaper. You would probably be correct. But he still presents a reason, and that reason holds up to to logic given the premises that he is arguing from.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9254 on: July 17, 2017, 08:53:09 pm »

In an article on single-payer healthcare (or maybe it was in a discussion in this thread), I saw that insurance companies still made up like 20% of Australia's entire healthcare market, so, it's not like people won't ever have a choice. Seems like the whole 'having a choice' is one of the bigger hangups that conservatives have over single-payer healthcare.

It costing a whole lot is a legit and fair point, especially with the debt, but currently we spend WAY more on healthcare than the next highest spending country.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 08:54:59 pm by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 615 616 [617] 618 619 ... 3569