Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 601 602 [603] 604 605 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4245608 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: post-G20 Trump stuff
« Reply #9030 on: July 10, 2017, 11:14:53 pm »

Bets on how long it takes to fabricate nebulous, but intensely paranoia-inducing enemy threats from space?  Worthy of huge private contracts that ostensibly fund expansion of this new organization to defend us, but really just got subcontracted out in a fizzling death spiral of incestuous favor-passing that accomplishes almost nothing?  What kind of startling event will be seized on to kickstart the support movement?

An asteroid?  :D

We're going to mars to open portals to hell in order to solve the energy crisis or something.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: The Russian shoe deepens
« Reply #9031 on: July 11, 2017, 12:30:04 am »

Maybe that's why he's orange. He's already high on Argent Energy.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9032 on: July 11, 2017, 01:26:14 am »

I don't see whats so confusing. But maybe its my unabashed corporation hate coming through.

edit: If you would like to correct me in my assumptions please explain.
No, no. The sentence didn't make any sense as written. That's what was confusing.
Oh, i may have given the impression i was for arbitration. I'm not for the record. I'm tired, i blame that.

The article quotes GOG Congressmen being against the new rules. I guess that's who redwallys was referring to by :"well look who's come out against the consumer and for corporate abuse again...".

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9033 on: July 11, 2017, 06:11:52 am »

I don't see whats so confusing. But maybe its my unabashed corporation hate coming through.

edit: If you would like to correct me in my assumptions please explain.
No, no. The sentence didn't make any sense as written. That's what was confusing.
Oh, i may have given the impression i was for arbitration. I'm not for the record. I'm tired, i blame that.

The article quotes GOG Congressmen being against the new rules. I guess that's who redwallys was referring to by :"well look who's come out against the consumer and for corporate abuse again...".
yes, every time something like this happens its the same people with the same excuses. You think they would come up with something new.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9034 on: July 11, 2017, 07:50:00 am »

Are either really surprising?

It isnt like there is a particularly huge rate of churn in the plutocracy, and the ones we have, tend to have rather fixed views and rationales. Short of some kind of massively world-changing life event, I would think it is more sensible to think that you will always get more of the same from the same people-- Not get something different from the same inputs.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9035 on: July 11, 2017, 08:45:35 am »

Hey, don't say the Republicans never do anything for space ...

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/07/congress-close-to-approving-a-new-space-army/

Apparently, funding NASA is a waste of money but training a Space Army can't happen soon enough.
SPEHSS MARINES

Seriously though....what the fuck are they going to do? There's no one to fight in space (currently), we have no delivery vehicles to get them troops even if there were,  and monitoring our satellites and other orbital assets is already covered by the Air Force Space Command. I think some representatives just had a weekend session of watching Aliens and Starship Troopers and were like "Fuck yeah, bro! That was sick! We need some of that!"

....I may or may not envision most Republican members of Congress as brain-damaged frat boys. PROVE ME WRONG.

Bets on how long it takes to fabricate nebulous, but intensely paranoia-inducing enemy threats from space?  Worthy of huge private contracts that ostensibly fund expansion of this new organization to defend us, but really just got subcontracted out in a fizzling death spiral of incestuous favor-passing that accomplishes almost nothing?  What kind of startling event will be seized on to kickstart the support movement?

An asteroid?  :D
Terrorists driving a car bomb into the ISS. A space car bomb. After all, you can't spell ISIS without ISS. (And we're set to abandon it after 2020 anyways).

Or an attack by unknown but suspiciously Asian looking assailants, which leaves the door open to blame North Korea and/or China. Then we'll need our own space marines to attack Tiangong-3.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9036 on: July 11, 2017, 09:57:16 am »

Minor correction, Redking, both US and Russia have committed to continuing the ISS through at least 2024, not 2020. After that it's a bit more sketchy.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9037 on: July 11, 2017, 10:07:39 am »

I suppose it depends on how long they can maintain the stations structural integrity for sure.

It'd be cool if we (as a species, not 'we' as in the US) could make a station which could have it's structural integrity last far longer. Though that depends on learning how to manufacture replacement parts up in space.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9038 on: July 11, 2017, 10:31:13 am »

controlled local annealing would solve a great deal of the problem.

Basically, the heating from the sunlight hitting the craft, (and extreme cold on the dark side, with the object rotating), coupled with high exposure to energetic electrons and other charged particles, makes the material behave very strangely at the molecular and atomic levels. Crystals continue to grow, crystal boundries push against each other, and microfractures form in previously homogeneous materials.

Imagine a sphere made of an alloy that is carefully chilled from its amorphous, fluid state into a glassy solid. Such metallic glasses exist, and are very useful.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amorphous_metal

Now, we subject this sphere to the conditions found in space. The atoms in the glass begin to migrate into locally divergent concentrated populations, and away from the perfectly homogeneous distribution of the glass. Spontaneous self-assembly into crystalline structures occurs. Some parts of the sphere are higher in concentration of one population of atom than another, resulting in different crystal morphologies. Differences in mechanical stresses causes crystals to favor growth in certain directions over others.  This all results in the previously very strong, very durable and robust sphere of metallic glass, becoming a hodge-podge of crystals, with shear boundries between them, and mechanical compression/expansion forces being exerted against those boundries from the persistent heating and cooling of the material.

Ultimately, these combined forces and processes are sufficient to pop the sphere apart along those newly formed boundries.

This is how the structural integrity of steels and other structural components of long lived orbital craft degrades over time. There IS a way to combat this process, however.

Much like the process used to initially produce the ball of metallic glass we used in this hypothetical example-- Molten homogeneous mixture is rapidly chilled before any speciation and assembly can occur, creating an amorphous solid-- localized annealing and tempering systems installed through-out the vehicle could recondition the raw materials the vessel is made from, by heating the materials above the crystallization point-- Annealing-- then rapidly cooling them again, to either cause very small, disorganized crystals (normal tempering) or complete loss of crystal structure (glassification). Combined with structural redundancy (each girder in the structure is able to have 100% of its load borne by other girders, meaning it can effectively be taken out of service while the annealing refresh is performed, without the structure flying apart) the vehicle can retain its structural integrity as long as there is sufficient capacities for energy generation, delivery, and removal to keep pace with crystal growth in the materials.

I believe we have the necessary technologies to accomplish this. The problem is that redundant superstructure based constructions require sending more than the barest minimums to hold a craft together, INTO ORBIT.

That is hella expensive.  The issue is not therefor possibility-- it is cost.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9039 on: July 11, 2017, 10:42:58 am »

Russia is suggesting they'd pull off their modules to make their own station, but I'm not sure if that just to not lose their use with an abandoned ISS or if they'd still continue working with the ISS if it were feasible. There's also a history of Russia having grand space plans that never come to fruition. They've been talking about reviving Buran every few years since it was cancelled.
I'm going to build my own space station, with blackjack, and hookers!
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9040 on: July 11, 2017, 11:04:57 am »

Russia is suggesting they'd pull off their modules to make their own station, but I'm not sure if that just to not lose their use with an abandoned ISS or if they'd still continue working with the ISS if it were feasible. There's also a history of Russia having grand space plans that never come to fruition. They've been talking about reviving Buran every few years since it was cancelled.
I'm going to build my own space station, with blackjack, and hookers!

In fact-- SCREW the space station! Hookerbots, with me!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9041 on: July 11, 2017, 11:07:46 am »

@wierd: Perhaps, though you know a heck of a lot more about material science (or controlled local annealing even) than I do. Ultimately, we will have to learn how to do that stuff in space.

To break from the tangent, new stuff out this morning, Donald Trump Jr. has released the email chain that talked about the whole thing and led up to the meeting. Even if nothing came of it, the whole thing is incredibly damning.

https://www.vox.com/world/2017/7/11/15953188/donald-trump-jr-russia-emails

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/341443-trump-jr-releases-email-chain-on-conversations-with-russian-sources

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40574564 (conservatives like or are okay with the BBC? I think?)

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/11/politics/trump-jr-russia-lawyer-emails/index.html

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/11/donald-trump-jr-posts-email-chain-setting-up-meeting-with-russian-lawyer-240402

This is what happens when you run a campaign with the kind of morals that the Trumps have.

I have to wonder what Trump Sr. is doing, he's been pretty quiet on the whole thing recently.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 11:11:48 am by smjjames »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9042 on: July 11, 2017, 11:20:30 am »

Maybe somebody gave him a fidget spinner.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9043 on: July 11, 2017, 11:34:34 am »

I earlier heard something about Russia expelling US diplomats but didn't quite catch why; looking it up on the internet it seems to be over the sanctions stuff. It seems so far it's only planned but still.
Love, scriver~

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9044 on: July 11, 2017, 11:38:43 am »

According to the politico article he tweeted right afterwards, with about the content you would expect.  Libs are placing way too much emphasis on this, its not a real news story, ect.

He's probably been coached to shut about it.  The Republican strategy for this seems to be to plant their feet on tiny legal distinctions.  For example, the difference between telling Comey to drop the Flynn investigation and verbally "hoping" he drops the investigation.  Trump's flexible language could compromise that strategy, for example multiple explanations given for firing Comey.  One of them was that he fired him over the Flynn investigation, thus torpedoing the party line designed to defend Trump from Comey.

So anyway, I don't think releasing the emails makes any political sense.  But if you look at it in terms of Trump Jr. potentially being called to testify and not wanting to be held in contempt of court, it makes a lot of sense.  At first Trump Jr. said that he and the Trump caimpaign staffers didn't know the content of the meeting or they expected it to be about Russian adoptions.  But then the NYTimes released some of the contents of the emails and claimed to have anonymous sources.  So now the administration has moved to an even finer legal distinction, that Trump Jr. went there expecting dirt on Clinton and then was dissapointed by talk of Russian adoptions.  Personally I think that's a meaningless distinction and they're all fucked.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 601 602 [603] 604 605 ... 3569