Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 596 597 [598] 599 600 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4246109 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: post-G20 Trump stuff
« Reply #8955 on: July 09, 2017, 02:38:31 pm »

Atomic Monkey would also be acceptable.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8956 on: July 09, 2017, 02:39:15 pm »

GDP ain't everything. Your mention of Japan shows it, not everybody gets involved in the great game. The UK, France, and Germany are all powerful nations but that whole crisis of identity thing is pretty haunting, call me when you've eliminated either the federalists or the nationalists.
Japan possess the technological and economic base to become a power that would quickly rival the USA and China, they choose not to play out of choice - same way with Germany. To say that Germany and Japan are weak nations is deceptive, because it is clear that is not the bigger picture, both could quickly build up a potent military force with the resources and skills they have available - this is all GDP signifies. The ability to maintain a large and modern force

It's literally in the name, don't get salty because your continent was named after divine bestiality. Or are we pretending this week that the isles are a stand in for Atlantis that just happen to be near the filthy Europeans?
And if you ask me no one outside of a etonite coffin's heard of a bullropa, where they've heard of the French chicken

There also aren't a lot of choices considering the legacy of Rome. They saw men, eagles, bulls, and lions as their animal symbols. You can't pick humans, we stole the eagle already, and lions are extinct in Europe so that'd be tacky as hell.
>USA in charge of calling things tacky

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8957 on: July 09, 2017, 02:41:13 pm »

Uh, the US is literally the expert on tackiness. You may have invented it, dad, but we perfected it.
Atomic Monkey would also be acceptable.
Fuck, now I'm torn as both are awesome.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8958 on: July 09, 2017, 02:43:10 pm »

It's literally in the name, don't get salty because your continent was named after divine bestiality. Or are we pretending this week that the isles are a stand in for Atlantis that just happen to be near the filthy Europeans?
And if you ask me no one outside of a etonite coffin's heard of a bullropa, where they've heard of the French chicken

That thing looks like the spawn of Cthulhu and a warthog (and a mess of other critters), lol.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8959 on: July 09, 2017, 02:50:48 pm »

That's pretty similar to 'big fish in a little pond', though the connotations are somewhat different. Also, you could say that China started the confrontation since it started the action, though Obama wasn't paying attention very well.
Very different, the dragon in a pond is a poetic metaphor that was first used to signify warlords who were about to attain world hegemony through military conquest. Also I'm pretty certain Obama was paying attention, he redirected the majority of the USA's forces into the pacific to counter the rising threat of Tuvalu the PRC. The whole strategic pivot was in response to American overstretch and China redrawing their historical maps down to Malaysia and into Japan, thus the USA redirected their efforts towards containing China with freedom of navigation exercises to contest ownership of the SCS; it either belongs to their respective owners in Vietnam, Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia, Korea and Japan, or it belongs to China. USA cannot let that happen, for to let that happen is to allow Chinese submarines access into the rest of the world's seas without detection, in addition to having direct control over the trade routes that most of the entire world uses

That thing looks like the spawn of Cthulhu and a warthog (and a mess of other critters), lol.
The tail crossing its fingers is hilarious

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8960 on: July 09, 2017, 02:51:14 pm »

Japan possess the technological and economic base to become a power that would quickly rival the USA and China, they choose not to play out of choice - same way with Germany. To say that Germany and Japan are weak nations is deceptive, because it is clear that is not the bigger picture, both could quickly build up a potent military force with the resources and skills they have available - this is all GDP signifies. The ability to maintain a large and modern force
I didn't say they were weak, but the animal symbol thing is typically done in the context of grand geopolitics ("the conflict between the Eagle and the Bear").

But I do maintain that German politics seems intent upon going full Imperium someday, it just has to be insulated by being able to blame "Europe" instead of Germany.
So just so I've got this right: You wish to discard the European Bull in favor of the British Elephthulu, the French Chicken, and the German...what? Trees?
>USA in charge of calling things tacky
We drink your coca-cola milkshake, comrade. We drink it up.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8961 on: July 09, 2017, 02:57:07 pm »

What would the Japanese animal symbol be though? If they had one applied.

I didn't say they were weak, but the animal symbol thing is typically done in the context of grand geopolitics ("the conflict between the Eagle and the Bear").

But I do maintain that German politics seems intent upon going full Imperium someday, it just has to be insulated by being able to blame "Europe" instead of Germany.

So just so I've got this right: You wish to discard the European Bull in favor of the British Elephthulu, the French Chicken, and the German...what? Trees?

Well, the German coat of arms does have an eagle/hawk on it.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 02:59:20 pm by smjjames »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8962 on: July 09, 2017, 03:01:05 pm »

But yeah, thinking back to the legend, a bull is the last animal I'd assign to Europe. A swan, maybe? Or the owl of Pallas Athena?
Thinking on it more, a flock of birds would be neat - I think most of Europe's nations have a national bird in their roster of national animals
French Rooster, British Swan, German Eagle, Belgian Kestrel, Danish Swan, Finnish Swan, Hungarian Falcon, Irish Lapwing, Italian Sparrow e.t.c.
Then you can show all the birds squabbling for historical accuracy

Yeah but it can scarcely be said that Germany and Japan are not involved in grand geopolitical squabbles and conflicts, only that Germany and Japan are not proactively seeking to cause them :P

I imagine they're just waiting to kick Italy out of the EU before they begin Charlemagne 2: Electric boogaloo

Yes

I thought you were joking but they exist
IT'S TIME TO STOP

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8963 on: July 09, 2017, 03:03:21 pm »

What would the Japanese animal symbol be though? If they had one applied.
There's pretty much no argument that could outdo the Koi/Carp. It's the official animal of Japan anyway, there are tons of legends and symbols in Japanese culture concerning koi, koi are cool animals, and Japan is even a maritime nation. It all fits quite solidly, perhaps more than any of the others.
Well, the German coat of arms does have an eagle/hawk on it.
RIP Hohenzollerns
IT'S TIME TO STOP
This is what the world of the Cultural Victory looks like, LW! It all started in 1994 with bacon mania and it will never end!

Are you ready to be consumed by the jaws of capitalism?! Even our communists are capitalists now! Invictus! Invictus!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 03:08:48 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8964 on: July 09, 2017, 03:04:17 pm »

IT'S TIME TO STOP
I'm pretty sure someone has figured out a way to batter-dip coca-cola and deep fry it by now, never underestimate Wisconsin, the power of lardy american asses would be world-shattering if it was possible to get those big slabs of fat motivated by something besides a new way to consume butter.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8965 on: July 09, 2017, 03:05:14 pm »

Every one is just an octopus in disguise.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8966 on: July 09, 2017, 03:15:45 pm »

History through animals:
Thirteen Colonies declares Revolutionary War for independence

French Republic reminds post-revolution America to pay back debts

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8967 on: July 09, 2017, 03:28:37 pm »

Ave, Russia and Prussia; we are all octopodes in disguise.  Because it was the time to fear the CzarOr another. And some Prusso-phobia for good measure.

EDIT: Heavens, those maps are huge; linked up instead.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 03:32:00 pm by Culise »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8968 on: July 09, 2017, 03:36:41 pm »

Ave, Russia and Prussia; we are all octopodes in disguise.  Because it was the time to fear the CzarOr another. And some Prusso-phobia for good measure.

EDIT: Heavens, those maps are huge; linked up instead.

Yeah those maps are huge, also, the whole butter joke thing regarding Dennmark was around back then it seems.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 04:30:27 pm by smjjames »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8969 on: July 09, 2017, 04:26:47 pm »

There also aren't a lot of choices considering the legacy of Rome. They saw men, eagles, bulls, and lions as their animal symbols. You can't pick humans, we stole the eagle already, and lions are extinct in Europe so that'd be tacky as hell.
Lions are British, anyway. Despite the extinction.  (Them and unicorns. Despite... well, depends on what you think of unicorns.)  A pre-imperial appropriation(/gift) that stuck.

Ok, so we've also got the bulldog (not sure that imagery is currently understandable on the world stage), the swan (with co-celtic leanings) and under subnationally I could give you Welsh and Scottish creatures (red kite, red dragon, red squirrel, stag, wild haggis, etc, some of which have existential problems of various degrees, others not) but not so sure about Ingerlaaand (maybe the hart?) or Norn Irn (a particularly bolshy side-breed of leprechaun, maybe wearing oramge?)…
Pages: 1 ... 596 597 [598] 599 600 ... 3569