Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 584 585 [586] 587 588 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4253968 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Comey testifies in front of Congress
« Reply #8775 on: July 03, 2017, 12:55:00 pm »

The Hill article is completely over the top. Read the statement from CNN that they call a juvenile "over-reaction".

Instead of preparing for his overseas trip, his first meeting with Vladimir Putin, dealing with North Korea and working on his health care bill, he is instead involved in juvenile behavior blowing the dignity of his office,” the network wrote in the statement on Sunday. “We will keep doing our jobs. He should start doing his.

Basically all CNN said is (paraphrasing) "he's the president, he has all these world-shaking things to deal with and he's taking time to make idiotic attack videos. Wtf is up with that?"

Which is about what that level of attack deserves. If anything, they were very restrained to what he actually deserves.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 12:56:33 pm by Reelya »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8776 on: July 03, 2017, 01:31:04 pm »

The Hill article is completely over the top. Read the statement from CNN that they call a juvenile "over-reaction".

Instead of preparing for his overseas trip, his first meeting with Vladimir Putin, dealing with North Korea and working on his health care bill, he is instead involved in juvenile behavior blowing the dignity of his office,” the network wrote in the statement on Sunday. “We will keep doing our jobs. He should start doing his.

Basically all CNN said is (paraphrasing) "he's the president, he has all these world-shaking things to deal with and he's taking time to make idiotic attack videos. Wtf is up with that?"

Which is about what that level of attack deserves. If anything, they were very restrained to what he actually deserves.

Anyone here really think Trump actually MADE that video? I sincerely doubt it.

Almost certainly all that happened was it showed up somewhere else on twitter and he just saved it and reused it. Trump wrestling memes have been all over the internet ever since the primaries. While I'll certainly say he needs to spend more time preparing for his diplomatic duties, a single tweet doesn't exactly take much time out of your day.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8777 on: July 03, 2017, 01:36:10 pm »

Why does that matter?  He reposted it on his official twitter.  Most presidents don't make their own press releases or write their own speeches.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8778 on: July 03, 2017, 01:57:50 pm »

Why does that matter?  He reposted it on his official twitter.  Most presidents don't make their own press releases or write their own speeches.

Do I approve of what Trump's saying? No. Do I approve of CNN acting like every tweet is the end of the world? No.

Just because someone says something against one thing doesn't mean they support the other thing. How many times does this need to be said?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8779 on: July 03, 2017, 02:23:12 pm »

I'm not sure what difference that could possibly make.

Is e.g. a Neo-Nazi who posts pro-holocaust memes excused because he didn't write Mein Kampf, personally.

This seems like both a strawman + red herring argument. Since nobody thinks that, and it's irrelevant anyway.

Do politicians even make their own campaign ads? Of course not. So every piece of political media could in fact be dismissed by this same argument, rendering the point completely meaningless. If a politician publicly endorses a video, then they are in fact responsible for the content that they endorsed regardless of who edited it together.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 02:31:08 pm by Reelya »

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8780 on: July 03, 2017, 02:29:46 pm »

he didn't make it btw, it was made by a user on the_donald.

trump probably shitposts on reddit. think about it.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8781 on: July 03, 2017, 02:31:26 pm »

I'm not sure what difference that could possibly make.

Is e.g. a Neo-Nazi who posts pro-holocaust memes excused because he didn't write Mein Kampf, personally.

This seems like both a strawman + red herring argument. Since nobody thinks that, and it's irrelevant anyway.

Trump publicly endorsed the message. Do politicians edit their own campaign ads? Nope. Do we still hold them accountable for what's in them? Yes.

Except the complaint quoted was explicitly about how much time trump wasted tweeting on that dumb gif. Which was likely only a few seconds. Maybe a few minutes if he fumbled as much as most old people do with technology.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8782 on: July 03, 2017, 02:32:48 pm »

Neo nazis have interesting quantum properties that could be possibly exploited for useful appliances  as GPS location qnd microwave ovens though
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8783 on: July 03, 2017, 02:34:04 pm »

Except the complaint quoted was explicitly about how much time trump wasted tweeting on that dumb gif. Which was likely only a few seconds. Maybe a few minutes if he fumbled as much as most old people do with technology.

If it was only one tweet then you'd have a point, but Trump spends a ridiculous amount of time sending tweets and watching TV so he can get offended by it.

CNN's statement mentions that Trump wastes time in "juvenile behavior" and there was no mention of this one tweet, just "behavior" in the general sense. Saying that he only did one tweet that falls into the "juvenile behavior" description is disingenious.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 02:37:03 pm by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8784 on: July 03, 2017, 02:59:55 pm »

...and he writes for the New York Post, which is a tabloid owned by the same guy as Fox News.  Like I said.

The guy who smjjames referenced as "a reporter himself" is not the guy who wrote the Hill article.  That guy is an "opinion contributor".

To be fair, I didn't know the guy was a writer for the New York Post.

he didn't make it btw, it was made by a user on the_donald.

trump probably shitposts on reddit. think about it.

I thought maybe one of his staffers did, heh.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8785 on: July 03, 2017, 03:22:23 pm »

Trump might not shitpost on Reddit (I'd be surprised if he has more than a passing knowledge of what Reddit even IS, but if he does know and goes on, I doubt he's much more than a lurker.)

If any prominent member of the Trump Regime is a reddit shitposter tho? It's Bannon, full stop.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8786 on: July 03, 2017, 03:53:26 pm »

Trump might not shitpost on Reddit (I'd be surprised if he has more than a passing knowledge of what Reddit even IS, but if he does know and goes on, I doubt he's much more than a lurker.)

If any prominent member of the Trump Regime is a reddit shitposter tho? It's Bannon, full stop.
I know he had an AMA in the hive of scum and villainy r/The_Donald once.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8787 on: July 03, 2017, 04:13:42 pm »

I doubt he's much more than a lurker.

Trump has all the subtly of a train plowing through a tuba factory.  He can't just lurk.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8788 on: July 04, 2017, 06:44:05 am »

During the past three weeks, a remarkable number of brand name applications for offensive brand names has been filed with the US brand name register.
"Fuck Yourself", "Nigger Please", "Cock Sucker", "Crackhead Jesus", and "Dicks by Mail" are just a few examples.

The cause of this tsunami of offensive applications is a Supreme Court ruling on the 19th of june, in the case Matal vs Tam, in which the Supreme Court ruled that brand names that are desparaging can no longer be banned.

The case was brought to the SC by Simon Tam, Foreman of the Asian-American rock band 'The Slants'. When Tam applied for brand name protection in 2011, the US brand name authority refused that, because according to them, the word 'slant' is offensive, because it is used as a denigrating term for Asians, whose eyes could be described as 'slanted'.

Because the US brand name laws forbid the use of brands that can be viewed as desparaging to minority groups, the authorities refused to register the band name.

Tam appealed, and after a long journey past many courts, finally arrived at the SC, which ruled in his favour.
The SC ruled that the 70 year old brand name law forbidding the use of terms desparaging to minorities are violating the right to free speech, and with that the US Constitution.

Even though this SC ruling only applies to brand names that are desparaging, it is expected to have consequences as well for brand names that are insulting, or offensive. Hence the flood of vulgair applications during the past three weeks.

The ruling will most likely also give a new twist to the lawsuit that has been ongoing for years over the brand name Redskins.
This brand name, applied for by the Washington Redskins football team, was also refused for being desparaging. The ruling in The Slants case will most likely mean the Redskin application will also need to be accepted.

Meanwhile, there already was a backlog of brand name applications from the past year, put on hold in anticipation of the Slant case's outcome. The US brand name authority will now also need to reconsider all of those, ranging from "Camel Toe Camouflage" to "Anal Overdose".

http://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/merken-fuck-yourself-cock-sucker-en-nigger-please-toch-toegelaten-in-de-vs~a4504242/

http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/lee-v-tam/
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 06:46:38 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8789 on: July 04, 2017, 06:57:27 am »

I doubt he's much more than a lurker.

Trump has all the subtly of a train plowing through a tuba factory.  He can't just lurk.
"I am the best lurker, you're not going to believe how good...look! You can't even see me, right? I know! I know! Unbelievable. Did you know that my posts were upvoted to top page before I even made them? It's true! But the admin establishment and the fake mods, they won't tell you that..."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 584 585 [586] 587 588 ... 3569