Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 579 580 [581] 582 583 ... 3570

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4255069 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Comey testifies in front of Congress
« Reply #8700 on: July 02, 2017, 01:01:06 am »

Defunding the earth monitoring systems is an awful idea, we can track hurricanes and tornado outbreaks from birth to death now, and I have no idea where to begin trying to estimate the lives that has saved.
I am absolutely and unequivocally against the creation of a Space Force. All practical benefits of space exploration will be lost to us, perhaps forever, if space is allowed to be militarized. Should we break down the relatively stable way space exploration has gone so far, it will become yet another killing field for humanity.
Yeah, I gotta say I'm kinda twitchy about the treaties involved getting sidestepped or flat out violated, removing the one about owning stuff in space would be the last peg before we're looking at lunar warfare and stupid shit like that being actual possibilities.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8701 on: July 02, 2017, 03:09:52 am »

You misunderstand the way oligarchs think.  Things like "The common good" are whimsical fantasies to them. Things you tell children to help them go to sleep at night.

Instead, they operate on pure, unrestrained greed. Being told "No, you can't own what is in space." directly translates to "There is no reason to go to space."  because for them, the only reason to go into space is to increase their holdings.

To secure holdings, there has to be a government enforcement capacity, which means space military operations.

The idea of going into space the way Startrek does it, just for satisfying human curiosity, is something these people will laugh at horribly. These are the people who are insatiably fixated on owning and controlling everything, which is why they have rights on all practical sources of the resources needed to go to space, which is why we are in the position we are in.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8702 on: July 02, 2017, 03:12:39 am »

So basically knee capping the ecology and breaking the space treaties...

Is basically to satisfy the wallets of the few because they deserve money and if anyone else actually worked hard enough to make the money they deserve it... But at the same time they will create every obstacle they can to make sure they keep making money and no one else can?

So the Tinkle down effect?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8703 on: July 02, 2017, 03:24:20 am »

You have to understand that to the likes of Trump, this is "the obvious thing to do."

Think of how Mr Morgan from Alpha Centauri put it-- resources exist to be consumed, and preserving them for future generations is stupid, and limits the current generation.  The current generation is poised to own space. Why do you want to stop them from owning everything? what are you, some kind of idealistic moron? etc.

The people with the resources to pull off a mars mission independently (like mr musk, and pals) need an incentive to do so. Getting even wealthier by cornering the space industry and basically being the first industrialist to own a whole fucking planet, are pretty big motivators. You dont get those motivators by saying "No Mr Musk, you dont get to own Mars."

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8704 on: July 02, 2017, 03:28:33 am »

I'm kinda of two minds with a space force thing.  On one hand space exploration as it currently stands can be peaceful, but what happens once some resource is discovered that is cost effective enough to harvest?   Either via previously unknown resources becoming known to us or via advancements in transport methods? 

Are we just going to split them up evenly?  Who chooses what is even?  At some point space WILL become a battlefield assuming we don't wipe ourselves off this planet first, and I would think it foolish to believe even for a second that there are not already at least a couple weapon platforms in orbit on the hush hush.  It is unrealistic to think space will be a place of peace forever if at the same time space exploration is worth the amount of time and effort we are using exploring it.

Hopefully when we do create the space corps it continues(or at least appears) to abide by current international treaties.  And those in power know what an orbital conflict will mean for future space travel.  But not everybody signed that, and we're going to need to ensure in some way that they can still defend themselves when some country like North Korea gets a space program and decides to not play nice.  A hostile force in control of space will be just as disastrous to space travel as a blanket of fast moving shrapnel.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 03:31:13 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8705 on: July 02, 2017, 06:23:06 am »

Are you just calling it that intentionally now?
Love, scriver~

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8706 on: July 02, 2017, 09:41:00 am »

You have to understand that to the likes of Trump, this is "the obvious thing to do."

Think of how Mr Morgan from Alpha Centauri put it-- resources exist to be consumed, and preserving them for future generations is stupid, and limits the current generation.  The current generation is poised to own space. Why do you want to stop them from owning everything? what are you, some kind of idealistic moron? etc.

The people with the resources to pull off a mars mission independently (like mr musk, and pals) need an incentive to do so. Getting even wealthier by cornering the space industry and basically being the first industrialist to own a whole fucking planet, are pretty big motivators. You dont get those motivators by saying "No Mr Musk, you dont get to own Mars."

While I can't say for sure what's going on in Elon's head... he's shown no desire to "own mars." He's explicitly stated several times he's not out to colonize, he's just the guy building the railroad that'll take the people out to the frontier. What they do or build when they get there is not his concern.

Others, I'm not so sure about... but other than SLS and SpaceX, I don't see too many rockets being built at the moment capable of getting there... and SLS is on such a long timetable it'll likely never make it before it's obsolete for the purpose.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8707 on: July 02, 2017, 09:51:23 am »

I always did, simply because it is a much more accurate imagery for those who have used the term, as justification, afterwards. As well as more accurate to how it works (since it is a long since debunked economic theory).

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8708 on: July 02, 2017, 10:34:42 am »

By contrast, I am in full support of annexing Mars or whatever as the 52nd state (The Moon is obviously 51st). It's Manifest Destiny; you can't fight it and neither can I.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8709 on: July 02, 2017, 11:48:59 am »

I always did, simply because it is a much more accurate imagery for those who have used the term, as justification, afterwards. As well as more accurate to how it works (since it is a long since debunked economic theory).
Pardon my daftness: Is that a pee joke? If so, [insert joke about Russian prostitutes here].
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8710 on: July 02, 2017, 11:51:13 am »

Well the Trickle down effect is that if we feed the rich more, they will pee on those under them.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8711 on: July 02, 2017, 12:39:10 pm »

And tinkle is something of a childish/euphemistic way of referring to taking a piss. So yeah, it's a pee joke.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8712 on: July 02, 2017, 01:35:11 pm »

Somehow trump out did all his previous tweets. We are now at GIF levels.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8713 on: July 02, 2017, 02:28:49 pm »

Jesus. Journalists better make sure next time they meet Trump, they have weapons to defend themselves against him.

Basic procedure for interviewing the president
1) pepperspray him
2) restrain with tie-wraps and/or barbed wire (you know the audience loves that last one)
3) use camera and microphone on him
4) if you are arrested and charged, just claim that you were in fear of your life, works for police officers all the time, should work for journalists too
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 02:36:06 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8714 on: July 02, 2017, 02:30:03 pm »

By contrast, I am in full support of annexing Mars or whatever as the 52nd state (The Moon is obviously 51st). It's Manifest Destiny; you can't fight it and neither can I.
I remember a history book quoting a newspaper article from when we acquired Alaska.  It said that now that we owned Alaska we would inevitably invade and conquer Canada in the future because they split us in half on the map and that was too ugly to ignore.

Somehow trump out did all his previous tweets. We are now at GIF levels.
Can someone link it?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 579 580 [581] 582 583 ... 3570