Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 542 543 [544] 545 546 ... 3572

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4262635 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Comey testifies in front of Congress
« Reply #8145 on: June 18, 2017, 04:43:50 pm »

And all the church goers are confused as to where all these homeless people are from as yet another $2 million church is being built in a town of two thousand with forty pre existing churches.

You know, it is honestly amazing just how easily Christianity is able to fracture.  Don't recall many other religions having such a large problem with it.
it's not really just a Christian thing, look up all the different types of Buddhism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schools_of_Buddhism

Or the various schools within Hinduism. Even ancient pantheons had their cults, so, it's nothing new.

Completely unrelated but i recently came across this bit of old economic theory: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgism

not being familiar with it other then a cursory skim of the Wikipedia page what are the unaddressed positives and negatives of such a system?

Not familiar with it either, and a cursory skim looks like they're trying to solve the problem of the 'tragedy of the commons', theres quite a bit of environmentalism in there too. I really don't know enough about economics to know the unaddressed positives and negatives of that system.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8146 on: June 18, 2017, 04:52:06 pm »

It looks like in a modern context it would be equivalent to property taxes + corporate taxes... kind of.  I'm not sure there's a phrase in modern language for "you drew up the oil here you pay taxes on your oil profits to the local community even if you sell it somewhere else."

"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8147 on: June 18, 2017, 04:56:33 pm »

It looks like in a modern context it would be equivalent to property taxes + corporate taxes... kind of.  I'm not sure there's a phrase in modern language for "you drew up the oil here you pay taxes on your oil profits to the local community even if you sell it somewhere else."

What? I mean, oil royalties are very common, although the degree to which it is invested in the local community vs. the country at large depends.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8148 on: June 18, 2017, 05:06:45 pm »

Completely unrelated but i recently came across this bit of old economic theory: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgism

not being familiar with it other then a cursory skim of the Wikipedia page what are the unaddressed positives and negatives of such a system?

I would recommend reading George's Progress and Poverty if this has piqued your interest at all. It can be bought extremely cheaply (or found for free online) and is worth a read whether or not you have interest in economics.

The essence of his argument is that land ownership is an unethical form of property (with its original title stemming from conquest and theft) through which landowners are permitted to extort the fruits of others' labors as described by the Ricardian Law of Rent. In practical terms, the portion of wealth that is earned by laborers from their work is greatly diminished by landowners being permitted to seek rent solely from having a monopoly on the physical space necessary to produce wealth.

He talks of all the major (but insufficient) remedies to poverty that had been proposed as of his publication in 1879. These included people claiming that poverty could be solved by a more efficient government, a moral improvement in the "industriousness" and "temperance" of the poor, collective bargaining (unions), mutual cooperation of labor and capital, government regulation and intervention (e.g. the minimum wage), and a redistribution of land to be more equitable. Of these, he wrote that only collective bargaining and government intervention could hope to temporarily and weakly mitigate poverty for as long as the root cause of private land ownership continued, with his proposed permanent solution being a land value tax as discussed in that wikipedia article you linked.

His ideas had an incredible amount of influence after publication, but if you talk to economics professors today many won't have even heard of him. His contemporary Marx ended up the more well-known political economist of the time, with George's ideas more libertarian and liberal than Marx.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8149 on: June 18, 2017, 05:08:30 pm »

I keep forgetting that Hillary Clinton is accused of murdering someone.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8150 on: June 18, 2017, 05:11:01 pm »

What?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8151 on: June 18, 2017, 05:14:21 pm »

What?

Yeah someone was going to expose her and the common believe is she had him killed.

I honestly keep forgetting that people who dislike Hillary Clinton believe that.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8153 on: June 18, 2017, 07:21:43 pm »

USA just shot down a Syrian plane.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8154 on: June 18, 2017, 07:26:51 pm »

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-40322666

I wonder what's going to happen once ISIS isn't the major overriding focus....

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8155 on: June 18, 2017, 07:30:40 pm »

Earlier today, yeh. Extra fun, apparently iran lobbed some ballistic missiles into syria today, too.

Ah, article mentions it, just not quite the import. Iran didn't just launch missiles, they launched them from iran, whee.

... also, didn't the dedicated thread for that mess manage to stay unlocked? Might be good to preemptively redirect over there, assuming something incredibly stupid doesn't happen in the next day or three.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8156 on: June 18, 2017, 07:34:13 pm »

The MidEast thread generally doesn't get embroiled in controversial topics. I suppose it would be good to move it there, yeah, so that it's out of the way of this thread.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8157 on: June 18, 2017, 07:37:22 pm »

What?

Yeah someone was going to expose her and the common believe is she had him killed.

I honestly keep forgetting that people who dislike Hillary Clinton believe that.

Poor Ben Gahzi.

Killed in cold blood.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8158 on: June 18, 2017, 07:38:09 pm »

No no, I don't think it is/was a general ME thread. This one, specifically about stuff relating to the ISIS mess, which this probably counts to one extent or another.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8159 on: June 18, 2017, 07:39:54 pm »

No no, I don't think it is/was a general ME thread. This one, specifically about stuff relating to the ISIS mess, which this probably counts to one extent or another.

I thought it was the general MidEast thread.
Pages: 1 ... 542 543 [544] 545 546 ... 3572