Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 541 542 [543] 544 545 ... 3572

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4262638 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Comey testifies in front of Congress
« Reply #8130 on: June 18, 2017, 08:36:36 am »

Trump's lawyer is currently on CNN explaining how Trump's tweet, where he stated that he is being investigated, is both true and completely accurate, yet simultaneously Trump is definitely not under investigation, and this is not in any way confusing.
I do not envy that man's job.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8131 on: June 18, 2017, 08:59:42 am »

Eh, at this point you can actually see some of his work. I'd not be terribly uncomfortable saying he's getting exactly what he deserves :P

That said, yeah, that's a job where I'd probably hold setting myself on fire as a higher life choice priority.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8132 on: June 18, 2017, 09:01:20 am »

Lawyers gotta lawyer, and yeah, Trump isn't exactly making their jobs easier. In fact, his legal team was surprised (as in caught by surprise, not surprised at) by the Trump tweet. I'm sure they'd love to revoke his twitter priviledges (heh).

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8133 on: June 18, 2017, 09:19:54 am »

Eh, there's lawyer and then there's lawyer, y'know?

Any case, did actually walk by a TV showing at least part of what fol was talking about. I think it may have been the most straight faced lies I've heard before breakfast in years, ha.
Ask not!
Ask!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8134 on: June 18, 2017, 12:28:50 pm »

Heh, article just posted comparing Presidential scandals "now and then"

http://www.newsweek.com/barack-obama-donald-trump-russia-investigation-dijon-mustard-scandal-fox-fake-623643

At this point in Obama's presidency, the major scandal was about how he liked dijon mustard on his burger.

Hannity has a go at Obama: "Although president obama is a 'real man of the people' ... plain of ketchup didn't quite cut it for the president ...', and makes a thing about how posh dijon mustard is: smugly: 'I hope you enjoyed that fancy burger, Mr President'.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 12:33:48 pm by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8135 on: June 18, 2017, 12:57:39 pm »

Hey, there's been trump eating habit "scandals", too.

... they've just been sideline events. Mostly. The fast food thing maybe less so, if for no other reason than it explains a bit of what's been happening with certain other parts of his administration.
Ask not!
Ask!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8136 on: June 18, 2017, 12:57:50 pm »

Dijon mustard, so fancy you have to look three spots to the left of the ketchup bottles to buy it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8137 on: June 18, 2017, 01:06:17 pm »

I don't get how using djon mustard would be a 'scandal'. Unless they just want to poke fun at it.

Trump and Obama are far from the only politicians to have been poked fun at over eating habits.

Though yeah, the articles point is that Obama didn't even have any major scandal yet (the worst was just teasing over silly stuff and making memes) and it was still a ways off. While Trump is scandal filled from before it even started.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 01:08:26 pm by smjjames »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8138 on: June 18, 2017, 01:09:18 pm »

(I'm a couple days back in the thread)
Pro-life..?
Yup, this has always been a problem with the "economic issues" conservative and "religious issues" conservative being in the same coalition.  A basic ethics difference between the USA left and right is this: what kind of death is society responsible for?  The left and the right both agree, if a foreign army comes and kills an American on our soil, that's a death that the government should have prevented if it could have.  But, if an American gets sick and can't afford medicine, is that the government's business?  If someone is homeless or starving, is that the government's business?  Left says yes, right says no.  Except that American Christians have a long history of charitable works focused on the local poor.  If American history ended 100 years ago and I had to guess the rest, I would tell you that religious Americans would be pro welfare.
Maybe.  But tax-funded charity is direct competition to church-funded charity.  The latter is more obviously generous, and improves the reputation of the church.  It's a very effective way to gain converts.  Given a choice, I think most religious people would prefer the latter.

...So of course that's *allowed*, by letting people write charitable donations off their taxes.  In effect, many people fund church outreach rather than government programs.  And the tax code was written to allow that.

Whether that's a good thing or not, many people have gotten used to the idea.  Government programs, absolutely swamped and underfunded, are seen as inefficient and dispassionate.  I often hear that the answer is to empower churches to handle even more.

Basically religious Americans *are* pro-welfare, but in a missionary sense.  That just worries me since it naturally prioritizes conversion over fixing the underlying problems.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8139 on: June 18, 2017, 01:13:04 pm »

In the Netherlands, you can get tax deduction for donating to charity as well. Not that donating to church does not count as charity, so no tax deduction there.
The church itself does get some tax benefits though, not sure if religious organisations are 100% tax exempt, or if they get a deduction.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8140 on: June 18, 2017, 01:23:24 pm »

Eeehhh... I'd buy that argument more rol if the state of religious charity in the US wasn't what it was. It does do a fair amount of good, but there's also quite a lot of abuses and a number of areas where their "obvious" generosity starts looking less and less like it actually exists. You even mentioned part of it, heh.

You definitely have a good bit of the messaging and perceptions down right, but a good bit of the messaging and perception is also about as much bullshit as prosperity gospel.
Ask not!
Ask!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8141 on: June 18, 2017, 03:12:04 pm »

The point is that most people either don't see those flaws (in cases of corruption or inefficiency), or they don't consider them flaws in the first place (in the case of the charity being wrapped in evangelism). All they see is that they give to the Salvation Army and the Church-run "missions", and believe that this is a better way of helping the genuinely needy.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8142 on: June 18, 2017, 03:33:25 pm »

And all the church goers are confused as to where all these homeless people are from as yet another $2 million church is being built in a town of two thousand with forty pre existing churches.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8143 on: June 18, 2017, 03:35:58 pm »

And all the church goers are confused as to where all these homeless people are from as yet another $2 million church is being built in a town of two thousand with forty pre existing churches.

You know, it is honestly amazing just how easily Christianity is able to fracture.  Don't recall many other religions having such a large problem with it.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8144 on: June 18, 2017, 03:47:38 pm »

You know, it is honestly amazing just how easily Christianity is able to fracture.  Don't recall many other religions having such a large problem with it.
it's not really just a Christian thing, look up all the different types of Buddhism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schools_of_Buddhism

Completely unrelated but i recently came across this bit of old economic theory: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgism

not being familiar with it other then a cursory skim of the Wikipedia page what are the unaddressed positives and negatives of such a system?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 04:14:46 pm by redwallzyl »
Pages: 1 ... 541 542 [543] 544 545 ... 3572