Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 535 536 [537] 538 539 ... 3572

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4263681 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Comey testifies in front of Congress
« Reply #8040 on: June 16, 2017, 02:04:29 pm »

I wonder if Kim Jong Un can read english
Great Lidl can speak angerwish better than Ta-lump.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8041 on: June 16, 2017, 02:07:05 pm »

*coughs* Amusingly enough, asteroid capture is something that could very, very easily help create self-sustaining settlements on other bodies. Chunk of materials you can relatively easily move around and have in place and ready to go with mostly-space born equipment you bring in yourself or set up ahead of time, as you set things up on the ground? Good stuff.

Be plenty miffed it was someone else, too, though. There hasn't been many reductions in NASA funding et al I've been terribly cheerful about over the last couple decades.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8043 on: June 16, 2017, 02:30:54 pm »

don't get why you guys care so much about asteroid capture. realistically, if an asteroid hits in the next couple of years we won't have the tech to stop it anyway, and any time after that civilization will have already collapsed thanks to the Second American Civil War and aftershocks.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8044 on: June 16, 2017, 02:33:07 pm »

So.....pressure Cuba, placate NK? (It's weird enough to be true that Trump would have Rodman try to open secret channels between the US and NK. But it isn't exactly official or backed by a stupid tweet.)

That seems like the kind of strategy Generalisimo Donalde' would approve of. Double back on the country next door you just normalized relationships with so you can shake a few more nickels out of them, and kiss up to a megalomaniac who runs his country like a slave kingdom and whose political dynasty is responsible for countless humans' rights abuses.

On the other hand, maybe Rodman is just makin' some kek.

don't get why you guys care so much about asteroid capture. realistically, if an asteroid hits in the next couple of years we won't have the tech to stop it anyway, and any time after that civilization will have already collapsed thanks to the Second American Civil War and aftershocks.

Because we gotta show them space rawks wots wot.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8045 on: June 16, 2017, 02:36:45 pm »

Rod-Man is a total fucking weirdo, let it not be forgotten.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8046 on: June 16, 2017, 02:41:48 pm »

A higher priority in my opinion, is creating permanent, self-sustaining settlements on other bodies.

They don't enough money in their budget to pull that off, though.  They have to make do with what they can, and asteroid capturing is one of the things they can pull off with the budget they have.
A higher priority in my opinion, is creating permanent, self-sustaining settlements on other bodies.

I agree that it should be a high priority (the Moon would be better than Mars for a whole variety of reasons), but that doesn't mean that we can't work on the asteroid stuff in parallel. Of course, there's only so much budget to go around, and NASA doesn't really get enough.

I'm not mad because Trump cancelled it, though it'd be better for the admin at NASA to do it as they know what they want, can, and need to do.

Anyone cancelling tech development that could avert civilization ending disasters because of short term thinking earns my ire.

We have to start somewhere to get the tech to do so.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8047 on: June 16, 2017, 02:47:43 pm »

You accidentially screwed up the quote box there, just letting you know, and the second OSG quote is actually me.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #8048 on: June 16, 2017, 02:48:21 pm »

The only reason you guys are mad about this is because Trump cancelled it. If some administrator over at NASA canceled it, nobody would give a shit.

Err.. Ori, you can't say that. I mean, seriously, that's beyond your powers of deduction unless you're the Omnissiah.  Personally, here's my rubric for determining whether I dislike something just because Trump did it. I replace every instance of Trump's name with General Mattis. If that suddenly makes the proposal seem like a sensible thing, as it did with the Syria strike, then I will admit that I'm biased against Trump and that's probably a fine idea.

I, like others, oppose the Keystone pipeline for a variety of reasons, but I'm willing to let that go as one of those 'the parties must compromise' issues. We got healthcare last round, the Republicans deserve a concession for something they want.

Then we come down to things like the Wall, the breaking of the Paris Accords, the repealing of environmental protection acts, and a half-dozen other incidents that I would oppose regardless of who advocated them. As far as the asteroid capture goes, that's something we're going to need to do if we're going to leave the fragile cradle of the Earth. Yep, the mission was expensive and would likely bring back a hunk of rock with a limited yield of the really nice stuff- yet it would show we could.

The plane the Wright brothers flew stayed in the air for seconds. I don't know if I can change your mind, but we need to keep pawing at space. We need to work on orbital construction, and unless we miraculously find a way to send materials up from earth much more cheaply, that means orbital mining. We can't expect a colony when every resource has to be shipped in from foundries on earth. Small expensive steps.

tl;dr: We don't all hate what Trump does just because he does it- but we're damn concerned about where things are going.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8049 on: June 16, 2017, 03:07:21 pm »

I am all for space exploration, but I don't see any practical benefit to spending thousands of delta-v to move an asteroid around the moon.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8050 on: June 16, 2017, 03:15:37 pm »

Besides the whole more practical experience in moving things around space thing, the easier access to whatever's in the asteroid whenever we got around to mining it, a platform to test space born resource extraction, probably other stuff 'cause it's not like these have to be single purpose...
Ask not!
Ask!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8051 on: June 16, 2017, 03:16:27 pm »

Technically, it's a boulder grabbed off the surface of a larger asteroid, and yeah, in practical terms, putting it in orbit of the moon sounds rather silly. But science isn't always about practicality.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8052 on: June 16, 2017, 03:17:08 pm »

I am all for space exploration, but I don't see any practical benefit to spending thousands of delta-v to move an asteroid around the moon.

To prove we can do it, and to force miserly republican senators to give us a bigger budget to explore space.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8053 on: June 16, 2017, 03:19:46 pm »

Eh, if you're going to argue it's not worth the investment at this time, there's more ground for that. But the practical benefits out of it are definitely rather non-zero. Just about anything that involves doing more up and about in space has practical benefit, if for absolutely no other reason than just because it lets us get more experience and build a better body of knowledge of the risks and best practices involved.
Ask not!
Ask!

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8054 on: June 16, 2017, 03:36:06 pm »

There are so many space projects more deserving of funding. If the project was to land a probe on a near-Earth asteroid, I would be all for that. (Cause it hasn't been done before, and it would be cheap.)
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)
Pages: 1 ... 535 536 [537] 538 539 ... 3572