Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 534 535 [536] 537 538 ... 3572

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4263684 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Comey testifies in front of Congress
« Reply #8025 on: June 16, 2017, 01:35:02 pm »

Dennis Rodman has gone to North Korea thanks to PotCoin and has given Kim Jong Un "The Art of the Deal."  He has also said that Trump would be "Happy...I'm over here trying to accomplish something."  This has caused speculation that he is serving as an emissary between Trump and Kim Jong Un.

I am completely serious.

I wonder if Kim Jong Un can read english, I know he had gone to school abroad, but that doesn't neccesarily mean that he does know english.

Not surprising that Trump is trying to use him as an emissary since he's been over there before and Jong Un apparently likes Dennis Rodman. While sports diplomacy is certainly noble, the way that Dennis Rodman does it, or rather his behavior over there, isn't very good for an emissary.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8026 on: June 16, 2017, 01:37:16 pm »

The asteroid redirect mission has very little scientific gain (because sending a probe can do everything we need for a fraction of the cost) and it would be a near-Earth asteroid, which generally are poor in exotic minerals.

Here's two: getting experience on being able to get an asteroid rich in exotic materials over to us, and to stop an asteroid from smacking into us in the future.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8027 on: June 16, 2017, 01:39:02 pm »

That is seriously so far down on our "let's see what we can do" priority list.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8028 on: June 16, 2017, 01:40:16 pm »

By that same rule of thumb I'm guessing you're  very happy with Trump leaving the Paris accord.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8029 on: June 16, 2017, 01:40:34 pm »

honestly i don't think anyone cares about being called a hypocrite MSH, on either side.

politics is war.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8030 on: June 16, 2017, 01:40:50 pm »

The asteroid redirect mission has very little scientific gain (because sending a probe can do everything we need for a fraction of the cost) and it would be a near-Earth asteroid, which generally are poor in exotic minerals.

Here's two: getting experience on being able to get an asteroid rich in exotic materials over to us, and to stop an asteroid from smacking into us in the future.

Not to mention being a proof-of-concept that we can move asteroids, it's a good idea to learn HOW to do it (and possibly how not to) before trying to do it on truly dangerous rocks.

Did NASA attempt a full on two-vehichle docking at the first try? No, they did a practice and testing one first.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 01:42:56 pm by smjjames »

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8031 on: June 16, 2017, 01:43:23 pm »

By that same rule of thumb I'm guessing you're  very happy with Trump leaving the Paris accord.
I'm "meh" about it. The Paris accords never could have been enforced anyways.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8032 on: June 16, 2017, 01:43:57 pm »

Cause I can see how a small lump of rock orbiting the moon will save humanity...
Ever hear the phrase "no plan survives contact with the enemy"? A lack of practical experience in an emergency is begging for something to go wrong. Dry runs, gaining experience, learning is the method by which we increase our competency.

Here's another useful phrase: "It could happen tomorrow". Probably won't. But it could. That fucks with the human brain something bad, because we aren't evolved for long-term risk assessment. It's easy to just say that it won't happen to you and forget about it. Storms, earthquakes, famines of all kinds, wars. It won't happen to you, surely, for you have the odds in your favor.

What's our future worth? All of it, until humanity either goes extinct or reaches some universal end-state? I think any billions of dollars is a drop in the bucket, an utter pittance to remove one of the big threats we couldn't otherwise deal with. Buying a couple of new jets to sit in their hangers and look pretty until they're scrapped is not a competing cost, and this money is also not the kind of actual problem our budget and economy have.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8033 on: June 16, 2017, 01:46:29 pm »

@MSH: Which is what I was trying to say in my previous post. It's better to do a test first and say 'uhoh, we have a problem', fix it and learn how to fix/prevent it than to do it the first time full on and say 'uh oh, we have a problem', get the difference between the two situations?

I'm "meh" about it. The Paris accords never could have been enforced anyways.

The fact that it was non-binding was pretty much the major reason that it got the whole world onboard. Nicaragua didn't because they wanted it to have teeth and be enforceable, which of course, would be a no go for some big players.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 01:48:26 pm by smjjames »

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8034 on: June 16, 2017, 01:46:39 pm »

We have different opinions on the matter. I was never trying to change anyone's mind. I was saying why Trump still has support.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8035 on: June 16, 2017, 01:46:56 pm »

It is better to learn to do it now when we don't need it than to need to do it but no know how.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8036 on: June 16, 2017, 01:47:39 pm »

If only dinosaurs learned how to lasso and move falling space rocks.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8037 on: June 16, 2017, 01:50:19 pm »

A higher priority in my opinion, is creating permanent, self-sustaining settlements on other bodies.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8038 on: June 16, 2017, 01:52:59 pm »

The only reason you guys are mad about this is because Trump cancelled it. If some administrator over at NASA canceled it, nobody would give a shit.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8039 on: June 16, 2017, 01:55:38 pm »

A higher priority in my opinion, is creating permanent, self-sustaining settlements on other bodies.

I agree that it should be a high priority (the Moon would be better than Mars for a whole variety of reasons), but that doesn't mean that we can't work on the asteroid stuff in parallel. Of course, there's only so much budget to go around, and NASA doesn't really get enough.

The only reason you guys are mad about this is because Trump cancelled it. If some administrator over at NASA canceled it, nobody would give a shit.

I'm not mad because Trump cancelled it, though it'd be better for the admin at NASA to do it as they know what they want, can, and need to do.
Pages: 1 ... 534 535 [536] 537 538 ... 3572