Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 522 523 [524] 525 526 ... 3572

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4266326 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Comey testifies in front of Congress
« Reply #7845 on: June 14, 2017, 04:08:19 pm »

I hope this doesn't become another McKinley...
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7846 on: June 14, 2017, 04:09:32 pm »

Due to legislation in the 1960s and 1980s, there are no new NFA-registerable automatic weapons being made. The only ones available are those manufactured before 1985 or imported before 1968, and the dwindling supply of such firearms has caused prices to soar (to the five or six digit range), and the background check to own one is absurdly tough. For all practical purposes, legal ownership is essentially impossible. Note that even before 1968, the number of crimes committed with legally purchased weapons of this type was zero.

My step-brother, who is a bit of a gun nut, said that automatic weapons are mostly just traded back and forth between a handful of gun collectors that happen to be allowed to own them via grandfathered-in and having the trade value/money to be there.  Like a club with a big entry fee.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7847 on: June 14, 2017, 04:10:44 pm »

Steve Scalise's condition has changed from non-life threatening to critical after surgery.
Well we might get another special election i guess. a bit of a morbid one though.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7848 on: June 14, 2017, 04:16:52 pm »

What do you mean by that? The change in status could just be from a re-evaluation of his condition.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7849 on: June 14, 2017, 04:37:00 pm »

Due to legislation in the 1960s and 1980s, there are no new NFA-registerable automatic weapons being made. The only ones available are those manufactured before 1985 or imported before 1968, and the dwindling supply of such firearms has caused prices to soar (to the five or six digit range), and the background check to own one is absurdly tough. For all practical purposes, legal ownership is essentially impossible. Note that even before 1968, the number of crimes committed with legally purchased weapons of this type was zero.

My step-brother, who is a bit of a gun nut, said that automatic weapons are mostly just traded back and forth between a handful of gun collectors that happen to be allowed to own them via grandfathered-in and having the trade value/money to be there.  Like a club with a big entry fee.

Pretty close. You don't need to be grandfathered in, but the supply of transferable automatics is fairly small (the 1934 version of the NFA merely required registration, and restricted firearms could be bought fairly freely as long as the paperwork was filled out. The 1968 Gun Control Act banned importation of all "non-sporting" firearms, and the 1986 act banned registration of new automatics - this means that the transferable market consists only of pre-1968 imports and pre-1986 domestically produced guns), and slowly shrinking (the non-replaceable part of the gun that has to be registered is the receiver, which takes wear as it is fired, and nobody drops that kind of money on something they aren't going to shoot), leading to incredibly high prices. For a reference point, an M16 sells to the military for around $600, while tranferable versions of the same weapon routinely hit the $10,000-$15,000 mark.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7850 on: June 14, 2017, 04:57:12 pm »

Latest info I've seen says an SKS and a 9mm pistol were recovered.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7851 on: June 14, 2017, 05:05:38 pm »

Huh. So in the last handful of hours while going over a congressional memorandum for reasons unimportant, I seem to have finally noticed what Zinke and his lot are doing in Utah. Namely, they appear to be trying to wave the banner of two tribes (well, more like one and a branch, now that I think about it) and one county to piss all goddamn over every single other native entity related to the Bears Ears national monument and just about all of the rest of areas surrounding the borders of it. Here's the fun little bit where it finally clicked (the site's actually from a group aligning themselves with the GOP position, oddly enough), looking around some of the rhetoric and inter-party-ish communication on the subject of the monument review that's been thumping about. They're hammering pretty hard that the majority of San Juan natives support the monument's dissolution, and they seem to be right. They're noting loudly that there's a lot of support to do that in San Juan, and, again, it looks like they're pretty on point, not as much as they're trying to act, but definitely a notable amount.

They're doing it while apparently goddamn ignoring just about everything that isn't San Juan, while trying to wedge conflict into local native groups and play up the importance of a fraction of them, and declaring to all and sundry that they're listening to local voices and concerns as they fucking ignore local voices and concerns. No points if you happened to have guessed one of the larger supporting voices is coming from resource extracting industries. And I'll leave it at that to avoid descending into vulgarity.

... also, congresscritter got shot up, huh. Huh. When was the last time that happened, anyway? Could swear I remember something from out west a few years ago. Female politisomething catching a head wound? Can't remember, don't want to search.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7852 on: June 14, 2017, 05:15:24 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Tucson_shooting#Gabrielle_Giffords

Yes, I hope in the furor over this, people's memories aren't quite so short.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7853 on: June 14, 2017, 05:15:51 pm »

gabby giffords. jared loughner shot her outside a grocery store i think, she's a dem. guy was crazy, apparently transitioned from apolitical liberal to tea partier over the course of a couple of years. dude had serious problems: mental illness, drugs, alcohol.

fuck, reading this again today i didn't even realize that six people died.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathie_Lee_Gifford

wrong gifford.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7854 on: June 14, 2017, 05:16:24 pm »

g'damnit, you beat me to the correction.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7855 on: June 14, 2017, 05:17:11 pm »

What do you mean by that? The change in status could just be from a re-evaluation of his condition.
That's why I said "I hope." It would just be really unfortunate if he died now, after having already survived the attack itself.
... also, congresscritter got shot up, huh. Huh. When was the last time that happened, anyway? Could swear I remember something from out west a few years ago. Female politisomething catching a head wound? Can't remember, don't want to search.
You're thinking of former Rep. Gabriele Giffords, the one with the Astronaut husband. The Jared Loughner shooting. But you're right, attacks on Congress are rare: Wikipedia only registers 14 attacks and 9 woundings ever, and that includes the attack today.

Also, tangential, but the Senate passed new sanctions against Russia by a 97-2 vote. The bill also establishes limits on the President's ability to ease existing sanctions.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7856 on: June 14, 2017, 05:47:36 pm »

Wonder if Exxon and Rex Tillerson can get refunds on those donations, now that they aren't getting the sanctions lifted...

The linked article does say the bill still needs to be passed in the house.  With support like that it probably will be, and a veto could be overruled.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7857 on: June 14, 2017, 05:50:08 pm »

Man, if in the furor over this people's memories turn as dodgey as mine have been lately, we're might end up having problems bigger than trump. Kinda' surprised I was even remotely right, frankly.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7858 on: June 14, 2017, 06:13:21 pm »

Yeah, I don't forget that one easily.  :-\
I was working that day, and CRC was offline for some technical reason, so I wound up getting the call from the Phoenix SSAC.
Had to make a lot of phone calls that day.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7859 on: June 14, 2017, 06:18:27 pm »

She just got a US Navy ship named after her and has been brought up numerous times in the media since this morning. And ABC news said they had a new interview with her airing tomorrow. I won't say it's been on people's minds 100% of the time, but I'd hardly say it's been forgotten either.
Pages: 1 ... 522 523 [524] 525 526 ... 3572