Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 521 522 [523] 524 525 ... 3572

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4267102 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Comey testifies in front of Congress
« Reply #7830 on: June 14, 2017, 12:58:23 pm »

Reichstag Fire in progress?
I'm not convinced those were actual Congressmen. Maybe crisis actors?

/s

I'm not talking about fake congressmen and such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reichstag_fire
Quote from: Wikipedia article about Reichstag fire
The Reichstag fire (German: Reichstagsbrandwas an arson attack on the Reichstag building (home of the German parliament) in Berlin on 27 February 1933, just one month after Adolf Hitler had been sworn in as Chancellor of Germany. The Nazis stated that Marinus van der Lubbe, a young Dutch council communist, had been caught at the scene of the fire, and he was arrested for the crime. Van der Lubbe was an unemployed bricklayer who had recently arrived in Germany. The Nazis stated that van der Lubbe had declared that he had started the fire. Van der Lubbe was tried and sentenced to death. The fire was used as evidence by the Nazi Party that communists were plotting against the German government. The event is seen as pivotal in the establishment of Nazi Germany.

Good thing history doesn't repeat.

I wasn't trying to mock you. I just figured it'd be fun to trot out the usual Infowars-type spew that happens in these situations when it's anyone OTHER than white men in power getting shot at.

Will the administration try to use this as a justification for advancing their agenda and quashing dissent? Possibly.
Would it be stupid to do so? Definitely.
Does that increase the likelihood that Trump will do it? *shakes Magic 8-Ball*

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7831 on: June 14, 2017, 01:04:37 pm »

This also happily distracts people from the corruption charges Trump just got as well.

So, yeah the best thing that could have ever happened to the Republicans seems to be this shooting.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7832 on: June 14, 2017, 01:07:41 pm »

this isn't a gun issue btw. every report i've seen (just got back home tbf) has said it was an m4, as in "automatic and super duper illegal"

if that's actually true, then new milestone: someone has finally committed a crime with an automatic weapon! yay NFA!
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7833 on: June 14, 2017, 01:13:09 pm »

Only items I've seen said semiauto rifle.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7834 on: June 14, 2017, 01:15:06 pm »

So it's the first non-self-inflicted crisis of the Trump Administration. Fortunately, it seems to be a small one (I, for one, was expecting a Katrina/Sandy lovechild sinking Florida under the waves).
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7835 on: June 14, 2017, 01:16:58 pm »

So it's the first non-self-inflicted crisis of the Trump Administration. Fortunately, it seems to be a small one (I, for one, was expecting a Katrina/Sandy lovechild sinking Florida under the waves).

A politician was non-lethally injured at a baseball game because of a guy with guns... when the NRA is their favorite client.

I am not sure this is a Crisis. Well unless this inspires a lot more people to do the same.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7836 on: June 14, 2017, 01:23:58 pm »

The House Majority Whip was shot and injured what was either a mass-shooting aimed at congressional representatives or an assassination attempt. It's not a little incident.

EDIT: in fact, the only reason it wasn't much worse was that the Majority Whip gets special security detail due to their rank. Had he not been there, it could have been much, much worse.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 01:28:56 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7837 on: June 14, 2017, 01:29:53 pm »

this isn't a gun issue btw. every report i've seen (just got back home tbf) has said it was an m4, as in "automatic and super duper illegal"

if that's actually true, then new milestone: someone has finally committed a crime with an automatic weapon! yay NFA!

Plenty of guns sold that are visibly similar to the M4 but not automatic and are fully legal. Even automatic weapons for the most part are legal to own as long as they're registered. Although state laws vary on that a little bit. Unless they're specifically outlawed in a specific state or local jurisdiction, just about anything small arms wise is legal as long a you pay a $200 tax and register it.

that is oversimplified a bit, but just calling an automatic weapon "super duper illegal" isn't exactly true either.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7838 on: June 14, 2017, 01:35:31 pm »

Due to legislation in the 1960s and 1980s, there are no new NFA-registerable automatic weapons being made. The only ones available are those manufactured before 1985 or imported before 1968, and the dwindling supply of such firearms has caused prices to soar (to the five or six digit range), and the background check to own one is absurdly tough. For all practical purposes, legal ownership is essentially impossible. Note that even before 1968, the number of crimes committed with legally purchased weapons of this type was zero.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7839 on: June 14, 2017, 01:37:54 pm »

yeah, the FBI seems to have walked back the claims media has made that it was an M4 (they weren't saying AR-15, they were saying M4, as in an actual legit M4) and it hasn't been confirmed what he was using, but all the early reports said selective-fire M4 (something that definitely is not legal, since, y'know, they started making them after NFA)
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7840 on: June 14, 2017, 02:48:01 pm »

I'm trying to find more information about what the Senate is trying to do to get the repeal bill through without having to go through the Dems, and I just don't understand the process they're supposedly using. "Reconciliation" is the word I hear in this context, but I don't get how it applies here. Can someone please explain it?

The House passed their version of the repeal bill, which then went to the Senate. That bill seems like it wouldn't qualify for reconciliation, since it covers more than just the budget. It doesn't really matter anyway, since the Senate is expected to rewrite most of the bill, which then means it has to go back to the House for re-approval, right? Or to a committee and then back to each chamber, or something like that?

I guess I just don't see how Republicans expect to get this thing passed. If it's exclusively budgetary, meaning that it can be passed with a simple majority in the Senate with no opportunity for a filibuster, then the first version of the AHCA should be a pretty convincing argument that the House will never approve it. Anything closer to the most recent version can be filibustered, which the Senate Republicans obviously see as a threat. Am I misunderstanding?
My understanding is that, in functional terms, something can be "budget reconciliation" so long as it reduces the deficit. Zombie AHCA does this by massively slashing medicare.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7841 on: June 14, 2017, 03:15:57 pm »

It turns out that the guy has had a violent past, plus a bit of other odd behavior. His views aren't particularily extreme, though there is the anti-Trump rhetoric and he did call Hillary 'Republican Lite', but the violent streak part is definetly concerning.

CNN's article has some more detail on the domestic battery incident.

While Republicans and other right wingers are going to blame this on him being left wing, flip it around and looks the same. Politics was certainly the motivation, but the only thing that doesn't change if you flip it around is the violent streak.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 03:18:10 pm by smjjames »

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7842 on: June 14, 2017, 03:16:14 pm »

New republican party motto: fuck poor people. Just fuck em.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7843 on: June 14, 2017, 03:18:34 pm »

New republican party motto: fuck poor people. Just fuck em.
"New"?
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7844 on: June 14, 2017, 03:19:41 pm »

Steve Scalise's condition has changed from non-life threatening to critical after surgery.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 521 522 [523] 524 525 ... 3572