Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 515 516 [517] 518 519 ... 3572

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4268466 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Comey testifies in front of Congress
« Reply #7740 on: June 13, 2017, 09:27:37 am »

No, you're both wrong and right at the same time, like Schrodingers cat.

Bonus internet point if you get it.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7741 on: June 13, 2017, 09:34:01 am »

Schrodinger was into threesome and so are we?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7742 on: June 13, 2017, 09:45:39 am »

lol, no, I mean Schrodingers Cat, which is a thought experiment related to quantum mechanics. I was trying to make a joke with the wrong/right thing.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7743 on: June 13, 2017, 09:49:10 am »

lol, no, I mean Schrodingers Cat, which is a thought experiment related to quantum mechanics. I was trying to make a joke with the wrong/right thing.

Yeah, I know, I was misunderstanding on purpose since Schrodinger's cat is a much abused though experiment. :p

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7744 on: June 13, 2017, 09:51:06 am »

So, AG Sessions is due to testify before Congress today at 2:30 pm Eastern. I'm not really sure what to expect from him; I doubt we'll hear anything new. In fact, I don't know if we'll hear much at all, if Sessions is willing to invoke privilege for questions he doesn't want to answer.

We can probably expect to hear questions about undisclosed meeting with Russians, Comey's firing, whether or not our President asked for private time with Comey, and the existence or absence of any tapes. More interesting to me will be any questions outside of those, especially if we might be able to infer anything that was said in Comey's closed testimony.

I'll also be looking forward to the first few hours after the testimony, when everyone's scrambling to pick apart his words for anything they can spin for vindication or condemnation. It's sure to be entertaining.

Also, I reserve the right to be in a quantum superposition of right and wrong about any topic until someone observes me actually expressing a position one way or the other.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7745 on: June 13, 2017, 12:53:58 pm »

Fox News seems to already have their talking points lined up. And they're taking the "This is all just he said she said." Ground... which obviously leads to Comey going to jail.

I just don't understand how they convince anyone with their arguments.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7746 on: June 13, 2017, 01:06:58 pm »

Because something downplayed (which happens with everything) in some shithole overseas is not defending or ignoring it relative to treatment of other issues, it's ignoring it just as much as people do when it's christian groups doing it in similar areas (which hey, more likely than not, will be pointedly not noted as being christian, where that damn sure ain't true for muslim groups).

Unless you're talking with Muslims which will claim their bad guys aren't really Muslims. Some things are sadly fucking annoyingly universal.

It's all about tribalism, really, and human psychology.

Sheb does have a point on the hypocrisy though.
I personally file it under No True Scotsman fallacy.  Between the many authoritative voices and multiple denominations of Islam there's no real gatekeeper as to who's part of it, so as long as someone adheres to the vague outline its flawed to say that they're aren't Muslim.  Its kind of like the old historical debate as to whether Hitler was Christian or the Soviets counted as an atheist government.  The answer to both those questions, from where I stand, is "yes but it doesn't mean much", because to claim the title of Christian or Atheist you pretty much just have to say you are.  You can talk whether someone is a "real believer" or not, but the truth is that ambiguity exists for most people even those who seem outwardly devout.

That being said, Islamic terror groups demonstrably kill more Muslims than they do anyone else.  By a lot.  So its kind of like saying the cartels in Mexico are Mexican: you're not wrong, but if you want to use that to criticize Mexicans in general then you're kicking people while they're down.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7747 on: June 13, 2017, 01:28:56 pm »

As a Christian I will say there is absolutely a bias in regards to Muslim/Christian literally anything but Islam actions, that I see it all the time, and that there absolutely should not be. In my opinion the right way to do it is indeed to hold the person or group responsible for their actions. This would mean no condemnation for all of Islam based on the actions of those who use it as their justification for violence and hate.

There have been plenty of non-religious atrocities committed right here in America in the name of safety or science or progress or what-have-you. We don't immediately condemn that entire field of study or thought, why should we do the same to any religion?

::EDIT::
I was also extremely uncomfortable with the Muslim ban, especially when he came out and said he would prioritize Christians for entry into the country, because the very last thing I want to see is ANY precedent for legitimized bias in the US government for one religion or another. I'm happy to say that many of my Christian friends/family were as well.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 01:36:57 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7748 on: June 13, 2017, 01:46:56 pm »

Because something downplayed (which happens with everything) in some shithole overseas is not defending or ignoring it relative to treatment of other issues, it's ignoring it just as much as people do when it's christian groups doing it in similar areas (which hey, more likely than not, will be pointedly not noted as being christian, where that damn sure ain't true for muslim groups).

Unless you're talking with Muslims which will claim their bad guys aren't really Muslims. Some things are sadly fucking annoyingly universal.

I personally file it under No True Scotsman fallacy.  Between the many authoritative voices and multiple denominations of Islam there's no real gatekeeper as to who's part of it, so as long as someone adheres to the vague outline its flawed to say that they're aren't Muslim.  Its kind of like the old historical debate as to whether Hitler was Christian or the Soviets counted as an atheist government.  The answer to both those questions, from where I stand, is "yes but it doesn't mean much", because to claim the title of Christian or Atheist you pretty much just have to say you are.  You can talk whether someone is a "real believer" or not, but the truth is that ambiguity exists for most people even those who seem outwardly devout.

That being said, Islamic terror groups demonstrably kill more Muslims than they do anyone else.  By a lot.  So its kind of like saying the cartels in Mexico are Mexican: you're not wrong, but if you want to use that to criticize Mexicans in general then you're kicking people while they're down.

I dunno if that's an argument. If Group X is unpleasant, you'd expect most of the victims of Group X to be member of Group X since the distribution of groups isn't homogeneous and unpleasant group tends to kill the people around them.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7749 on: June 13, 2017, 02:07:15 pm »

I dunno if that's an argument. If Group X is unpleasant, you'd expect most of the victims of Group X to be member of Group X since the distribution of groups isn't homogeneous and unpleasant group tends to kill the people around them.

Counterexample: Most victims of terrorists are not terrorists. It's true that Islamic terrorist groups kill a lot of Muslims because they're based in Muslim areas, but generally those are Muslims part of a separate group/who won't follow the Islamic group's ideas/who are otherwise regarded as different.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7750 on: June 13, 2017, 03:31:06 pm »

It is because the predominant story about Islam (in the US at least) is that of an outside threat.  I live in a country were people can't distinquish between refugees and the people that made the regugees leave in the first place.

I mean look at Trump.  He's trying to portray Islam as a threat and he has to make up incidents.  So why doesn't he talk about specific local atrocities from ISIS as they happen?  Because that's not the story.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7751 on: June 13, 2017, 03:40:52 pm »

Trumps filmed cabinet meeting contained so much ass kissing it was embarrassing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ARgUIpM6f0

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7752 on: June 13, 2017, 03:49:46 pm »

Yeah it's already being compared to North Korea style Glorious Leader worship in the international media.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7753 on: June 13, 2017, 04:14:59 pm »

I personally file it under No True Scotsman fallacy. 
Bundling response to this and a few up cause I am way too screwed over to get this editing beyond that. But y'all seem to have got the wrong impression. I wasn't trying to point out folks saying X is non-christian, I was talking about religious affiliation not being mentioned at all.

Like, I know what causes it (the religion in question is normal/default so people just don't think to mention it, along those lines), but it's still a thing. Oddly, I'm not sure if muslim majority countries are as bad about it, since many of their conflicts are sectarian to some degree. Probably the closest English language off the cuff check I can think of in recent history was the Troubles, over in the UK.

... just realized that would probably make a neat sociology study, though. Check references and media mentions and whatnot, see what sort of characteristics are highlighted and how much/if they differ based on nature of conflict. Most bonus points if you're able to figure out a good way to track that in general conversation, too. See what it's actually doing to the society's methods of communication.

E: Though bloody hell, I'm starting to catch up with the sessions hearing, and at least a good chunk of the initial reactions are basically "holy shit sessions what are you doing". Anyone been paying attention to that?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 04:21:24 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7754 on: June 13, 2017, 04:23:46 pm »

Haven't been because I've had other stuff to do. There was one thing about his recusal being over inneudo on the Russian investigation, or something like that. No idea if he meant 'rumors' in a sarcastic way or if it's something else entirely.
Pages: 1 ... 515 516 [517] 518 519 ... 3572