Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 514 515 [516] 517 518 ... 3572

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4268641 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Comey testifies in front of Congress
« Reply #7725 on: June 13, 2017, 12:36:19 am »

Oh misk. Misk, you poor sad bastard. Just like the rest of us. Trump already started campaigning and laying ground for 2020 earlier this year. It's not a matter of hunger, misk. Would that it were.

E:... okay, some of that was probably criminal or if-not-should-be-criminal appropriation of 2016's campaign funds. But still. Point, it stands.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 12:38:56 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7726 on: June 13, 2017, 01:39:26 am »

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/current-affairs/megyn-kelly-slammed-for-interview-with-truther-alex-jones/news-story/e4dd35f42345d295afe4949e0415f403

Megyn Kelly is getting flak because of her having Alex Jones as an upcoming guest on her show.
(I don't know if this is good or bad, I suspect the former, but when someone mentions Alex Jones to me I first and foremost think of someone else, whose most controversial comments are far less worrying...)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7727 on: June 13, 2017, 07:58:30 am »

The hacking attempt during last elections were more widespread that previously though. Who thought that electronic voting was such a great idea anyway.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7728 on: June 13, 2017, 07:59:31 am »

The hacking attempt during last elections were more widespread that previously though. Who thought that electronic voting was such a great idea anyway.

I still think we should EVENTUALLY get to online voting.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7729 on: June 13, 2017, 08:24:26 am »

Possibly the people who still remember what can happen with paper ballots, too :P

... though from what I understand, that particular bit was expanding the understood scope to more general voter data, or noting higher confidence it was targeted; not electronic votes, per se, but stuff like voter registration applications et al. Which... honestly, you want to argue about electronic voting in particular I'm not going to stop you, but if you argue against logistics efforts like that, to make sure more people, more easily, can access their right to vote, I'm going to pick up republican voter suppression efforts and metaphorically beat you with them. We think the russians may (looking more likely every time it pops up in the news) have screwed with parts of the election. We know tens to hundreds of thousands (to millions, depending how you look at our criminal code related bullshit) of americans have been disenfranchised by efforts to make it more difficult to vote. I'll take the risk for the former to cut into the latter just about any day, y'know?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 08:27:44 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7730 on: June 13, 2017, 08:31:54 am »

Forcing people to not wear the shawl is just as bad as forcing people to wear the shawl.

An argument that completely disregards the place of the shawls in Muslim cultures and societies. It's not a choice to begin with - it's a patriarchal mandate forced upon women from childhood and up.

...how? TBF never suggested it was a choice to wear the shawl. He just said that preventing someone from practicing a religion is just as bad as forcing them to.

As a counterpoint to the argument that shawls are inherently oppressive.

And at that, forcing people to not go along with an oppressive custom is not just as bad as forcing them to go along with it. Forcing people to not lock others in rooms is not the same as people forcing others into locked rooms.

@scriver: `:\
Aaaaand I also said what you said was bad is bad, too.  But you shouldn't take that as license to suppress someone's right to decide for themself to follow a religion.

They aren't deciding for themselves. Do you not know what a patriarchy means? It means men are deciding it for them.

And here we go again. Do you realise, TBF, that you are literally parroting the words of the Islamic establishment? That you choose to listen and take to heart the words and arguments of the people who are oppressing women and men in the middle east, and women amd men of middle eastern origin in the west, over listening to the many middle eastern feminists who oppose and fight against their patriarchal society?
Oh come on.

One: "The patriarchy", as much as it exists - which I will define as 'an oppressive cultural environment that suppresses the right to choose', regardless of its leading figures - is bad.

Two: Just because someone wants to convert to or follow Islam of some sort does not automatically induce them into a patriarchy-controlled state/status.  I don't know how else to explain that in a manner that would get you to listen.

Three: Forcing people to not follow Islam if they (would otherwise) so choose of their own free will, without external influences is the exact same oppressive cultural environment that you rail against!  It's not "not locking people in rooms", to use your metaphor, it's "locking people out of rooms"!

Do you realize your position violates a fundamental principle of the United States, freedom of religion?

Do you realize that I agree with you that suppressing agency is bad?

Do you realize that not all Islam (and I do not say it is even a majority of Islam, or even a significant minority, but certainly some flavors practiced in the US) is patriarchical, and that people should be able to choose to follow it regardless? 

Do you realize most of Christianity is full of male authority figures?  Are you going to argue we should abolish that, too?

I really don't think you've thought your position through fully.

Did you realizes that when religions in the U.S. practice child marriage, use the threat of physical violence to prevent people from leaving, &c. we mock, shun, and when appropriate take legal action against them?

This is the principle issue I have with the hypocrisy re: the religion of peace. When Mormons, Scientologists, Christians, whatever make a habit of doing something appalling, nobody blinks at criticizing them and working to stop it. But the instant it's Islam doing those things or worse, it stops being okay to oppose it? Also note that you're making the same argument re: freedom of religion that people like you make from the other side on freedom of speech.

God, this sounds awful, but as an atheist Islam embodies pretty much every bronze-age barbarity that disgusts me about Christianity and Judaism, except with some extra bonuses and centuries less of mellowing and movement towards civilization. Let's fact-check:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What's that? Is it the sound of basically every gorram issue with Christianity except worse, topped off by a side of "killing people for the faith is still A-Okay!" and "yeah, sure, marry and fuck kids as long as they're girls"?

Arabs? Totally cool. Ex-Muslims? Ex-cellent. Moderate Muslims who have dropped the oppressive, intolerant shit? Yeah, sure, no better or worse than other religious folks of the same stripe.

But let's lay this out. When Christians shun and refuse service to LGBT folks it's the end of the world. When Muslims murder LGBT folks for existing, when a 95%-Muslim country is literally putting gay men into concentration camps and torturing them, it gets glossed over. When some sects of Christians are kinda backwards and condescending towards women, it's absolutely unacceptable. When some sects of Muslims functionally keep women as property and marry children, it's totally okay, just part of their culture. When Christians persistently bother you in conversation about conversion, it's massively irritating and offensive. When Muslims give you the choice of converting or dying (if you get a choice!), it's ignored. Look at Afghanistan before and after the takeover by strongly religious leadership. Before the Soviet invasion, women were attending university with bare faces. Now? Look at Iran before and after the revolution.

Shit like that. It's absolutely hypocritical to defend it from Muslims while condemning lesser evils from Christians.

The counts of heinous shit the West has done in the ME don't just include the physical deaths, but also the societal breakdown that destroyed many predominantly Islamic states' progress towards modern attitudes on a lot of these issues. If you're not willing to tolerate milder echoes of centuries-old barbarity, why are you defending the real thing? Why are you trying to shut down the voices within Islam calling for reform and better treatment of disadvantaged groups? How can you call yourself progressive when you're working to defend people who kill and enslave because of the words of some fucker who lived centuries ago?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7731 on: June 13, 2017, 08:37:13 am »

Well, the thing is, when Christian do shit, we criticize the person doing shit, not all Christians. We don't start talking about Christian travel bans and about how the Bible should be banned. I have no issue going after assholes, no matter their religion. That's the main thing that many on the right seems to see as defending Islam no matter what.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 08:38:50 am by Sheb »

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7732 on: June 13, 2017, 08:47:06 am »

Well, the thing is, when Christian do shit, we criticize the person doing shit, not all Christians. We don't start talking about Christian travel bans and about how the Bible should be banned. I have no issue going after assholes, no matter their religion. That's the main thing that many on the right seems to see as defending Islam no matter what.

People are perfectly happy to condemn Christianity.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7733 on: June 13, 2017, 08:50:05 am »

Well, maybe it's my bias, but I certainly don't see a ton. I mean it's not that far ago that we had someone on these forums banned for advocating genociding Muslims, you don't see that level of crap re: Christians.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7734 on: June 13, 2017, 08:56:43 am »

Sure, but when a nutjob blows up an abortion clinic in the name of god, you don't see wide calls to stop christians from coming into the country. When a group of christians are waging rape campaigns in some foreign hellhole, christian barbarism doesn't try to make itself a national discussion topic for a while. Stuff like that is sheb's point, methinks.

If you're not willing to tolerate milder echoes of centuries-old barbarity, why are you defending the real thing? Why are you trying to shut down the voices within Islam calling for reform and better treatment of disadvantaged groups? How can you call yourself progressive when you're working to defend people who kill and enslave because of the words of some fucker who lived centuries ago?
Where the blue hell are you getting the idea functionally goddamn anyone is actually doing that, or that TBF was even remotely suggesting it, would be my question. Because something downplayed (which happens with everything) in some shithole overseas is not defending or ignoring it relative to treatment of other issues, it's ignoring it just as much as people do when it's christian groups doing it in similar areas (which hey, more likely than not, will be pointedly not noted as being christian, where that damn sure ain't true for muslim groups). Fucking no one worth mention is calling for relaxed treatment of muslims in the US vis a vis shit like child marriage, or trying to meaningfully suppress muslim voices here or efforts to counter those kinds of behaviors elsewhere.

Bloody hell, you talk about glossing over FD but the same damn thing happens when christian bigots are literally funding shit like trying to put gays into concentration camps (though, I guess amusingly enough, the example you point out is being given free reign to do it by a christian country so hey, case in point), or just straight up kill them. Muslims get cut a hell of a lot less slack, not more, in the US, and most other places in the west, too.

If you're getting a different picture good god do you need to stop hanging out wherever it is you're picking this shit up from, because it is not even remotely representative of what's happening in this country.
Ask not!
Ask!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7735 on: June 13, 2017, 09:01:33 am »

Because something downplayed (which happens with everything) in some shithole overseas is not defending or ignoring it relative to treatment of other issues, it's ignoring it just as much as people do when it's christian groups doing it in similar areas (which hey, more likely than not, will be pointedly not noted as being christian, where that damn sure ain't true for muslim groups).

Unless you're talking with Muslims which will claim their bad guys aren't really Muslims. Some things are sadly fucking annoyingly universal.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7736 on: June 13, 2017, 09:02:29 am »

meh. i was going to say something about islam but it's easier for me to just say "i'm right, you're wrong." and less drama because nobody knows which side i'm on.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7737 on: June 13, 2017, 09:05:56 am »

Because something downplayed (which happens with everything) in some shithole overseas is not defending or ignoring it relative to treatment of other issues, it's ignoring it just as much as people do when it's christian groups doing it in similar areas (which hey, more likely than not, will be pointedly not noted as being christian, where that damn sure ain't true for muslim groups).

Unless you're talking with Muslims which will claim their bad guys aren't really Muslims. Some things are sadly fucking annoyingly universal.

It's all about tribalism, really, and human psychology.

Sheb does have a point on the hypocrisy though.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7738 on: June 13, 2017, 09:08:54 am »

meh. i was going to say something about islam but it's easier for me to just say "i'm right, you're wrong." and less drama because nobody knows which side i'm on.

What? No, I'm right and YOU're wrong.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7739 on: June 13, 2017, 09:24:20 am »

You're both wrong. Now get out of my eggplant garden before the cops get here.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 514 515 [516] 517 518 ... 3572