Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 499 500 [501] 502 503 ... 3572

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4267203 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Comey testifies in front of Congress
« Reply #7500 on: June 08, 2017, 02:53:11 pm »

Eh, they'd be welcome to if someone was actually pursuing perjury charges -- at that point what the reps and dems think is true meaning matters for shit. It would be in the judge's (and maybe jury, lawyers, etc.) hands, then.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7501 on: June 08, 2017, 06:39:27 pm »

totally unrelated but i found this clip of Reagan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJFcpRxju2g

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7502 on: June 08, 2017, 07:03:07 pm »

Never got a chance to watch the hearings. What's the gist of it?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7503 on: June 08, 2017, 07:10:00 pm »

Re: trump talking in front of congress == perjury

You kids are not really accepting the real takeaway of this:

We have been selecting for this behavior in our leaders for many decades now. Trump is only exceptional in that his lies are easily detected. With the downward slide of our intellectual capacity in this nation over the past few decades, we have selected the ultimate expression of this trend, (Trump), and our leaders, doing basically everything they can to encourage low info voters as a phenomenon, have created the ultimate expression thereof (our voter base), which selected Trump.

If you dont want to see what the next iteration of those two processes are, you need to strongly re-evaluate what a good leader is (They dont lie to you, and really do have THE NATION'S best interests in mind), and need to strongly evaluate the value of leadership that promotes low info voting (Because it does not align with the first thing I mentioned. The nation does not benefit from being ignorant and stupid.)

That is all.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 07:13:14 pm by wierd »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7504 on: June 08, 2017, 08:29:29 pm »

Never got a chance to watch the hearings. What's the gist of it?
There... was quite a bit of it. I'd recommend finding a transcript, personally. Wouldn't be hard to find.

That said, the very rough, detail stripped gist is that comey pretty carefully said nothing much terribly actionable on its own that nevertheless told us a fair deal about trump's character that you kiiiinda' already knew, if you cared to exert the least amount of critical attention to his actions or history. Buncha' other stuff and details, though. Again, I'd really recommend a transcript, especially over what anyone (including me, here) says summarizes or highlights a particularly important bit. Media et al reaction basically started running at cherrypicking and distortion and has only been speeding up, from what I've noticed, to say nothing of what folks like trump's lawyer or a number of GOP politicians have been trying to do.

Still... suffice it to say, trump certainly didn't come out of that testimony looking better, unless you have a seriously warped sense of character or rather fervent belief comey just spent a few hours lying under oath about stuff often pretty easy to confirm to one extent or another. Maybe no worse, but certainly not better.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7505 on: June 08, 2017, 08:32:00 pm »

Re: trump talking in front of congress == perjury

You kids are not really accepting the real takeaway of this:

We have been selecting for this behavior in our leaders for many decades now. Trump is only exceptional in that his lies are easily detected. With the downward slide of our intellectual capacity in this nation over the past few decades, we have selected the ultimate expression of this trend, (Trump), and our leaders, doing basically everything they can to encourage low info voters as a phenomenon, have created the ultimate expression thereof (our voter base), which selected Trump.

If you dont want to see what the next iteration of those two processes are, you need to strongly re-evaluate what a good leader is (They dont lie to you, and really do have THE NATION'S best interests in mind), and need to strongly evaluate the value of leadership that promotes low info voting (Because it does not align with the first thing I mentioned. The nation does not benefit from being ignorant and stupid.)

That is all.

Note that Trump did not win the public election, he won the election among the electoral college.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7506 on: June 08, 2017, 08:47:41 pm »

The popular election margin was PAINFULLY small, PTTG.  Do keep that in mind when reassuring yourself this way.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7507 on: June 08, 2017, 08:49:46 pm »

With Trump/Comey dominating the mediaspace, I almost missed that the House just passed a bill to remove or reduce many of the consumer protections in Dodd-Frank, weaken the CFPB, and remove the requirement for financial advisers to actually act in the interest of their clients. Oh, and it loosens rules on home loans. So clearly House Republicans (no Dems voted in favor) must have some pretty solid evidence that we'll never see any of the conditions that lead to the 2008 financial crisis again, conditions which Dodd-Frank was introduced to prevent. It's up to the Senate next, and the general feel is that it won't go through as-is, but still.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7508 on: June 08, 2017, 08:50:02 pm »

The popular election margin was PAINFULLY small, PTTG.  Do keep that in mind when reassuring yourself this way.

Still bigger than Bush vs Gore in 2000.... In the grand scheme of things, it's painfully small, yes, but compared to Bush vs Gore, it's pretty big.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7509 on: June 08, 2017, 08:56:14 pm »

With Trump/Comey dominating the mediaspace, I almost missed that the House just passed a bill to remove or reduce many of the consumer protections in Dodd-Frank, weaken the CFPB, and remove the requirement for financial advisers to actually act in the interest of their clients. Oh, and it loosens rules on home loans. So clearly House Republicans (no Dems voted in favor) must have some pretty solid evidence that we'll never see any of the conditions that lead to the 2008 financial crisis again, conditions which Dodd-Frank was introduced to prevent. It's up to the Senate next, and the general feel is that it won't go through as-is, but still.

Why would they care if 2008 happens again.  It didn't hurt the upper class.  It never even really ended for everyone else.  The vast majority of the "recovery" went to the upper class, also.  It was all kinds of win for them.  If anything, they would love for it to happen again.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7510 on: June 08, 2017, 09:38:10 pm »

I have to wonder.  As a nation, just how stable is the United States?  I'm not talking in terms of 'until a violent revolution,' just how long until the population gets fed up enough with all the current politician's bullshit to elect out everyone currently in charge, no matter if they are democrat or republican so the slate is cleaned.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7511 on: June 08, 2017, 09:45:57 pm »

In that respect, I'd say it's pretty stable. A wave election could knock out a pretty good chunk of Congress, but there's enough "safe" seats that a sizable chunk of the old guard would remain.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7512 on: June 08, 2017, 09:50:16 pm »

I'd say a little too stable because gerrymandering and other things. However, midterm swings have been extremely consistent, one of the few constants in US politics.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7513 on: June 08, 2017, 09:52:53 pm »

3 million votes out of 126 million who voted.  That would be a normal margin of error... for a survey.  Except that such a large survey would have had a lower margin of error than that.  Both times Bush was elected he won by less than Trump lost by.  A more typical number would be about ~8 million more to the winner.  So Trump actually lost by a lot, relatively speaking.  US elections are never that far off to begin with.

Maybe we should select a 10th of the population at random and have them vote by phone.  If our elections are going to be held to the same standards as Gallup they might as well be equally cheap.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7514 on: June 08, 2017, 09:54:47 pm »

In that respect, I'd say it's pretty stable. A wave election could knock out a pretty good chunk of Congress, but there's enough "safe" seats that a sizable chunk of the old guard would remain.

Okay, a 100% clean slate might be a bit greedy, but what about something like 75%, 60%, or a majority?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon
Pages: 1 ... 499 500 [501] 502 503 ... 3572